Need Quick Advice!
tommyboy
Jan 15 2009, 12:44 AM
GMC:er
I'm building a basswood guitar from parts. It has a old Jackson neck maple with rosewood fretboard. The body is a old Ibanez made out of 80's Basswood.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite with Gibson's 500t in the bridge and 496 in the neck. I love this guitar and I'm just trying to make a fun backup project out of this old Ibanez and Jackson neck. I'm bidding on a used 500t for the bridge on Ebay and a used Dimarzio Tone Pro for the neck.

Do you think the basswood would work with the 500t and the Tone Pro. I want a hot pickup in the bridge and I thought the Tone Pro would be a pretty good match in the neck position. I'm going to wire the guitar like a Les Paul with a 3 way switch with 2 volume knobs but no tone knobs.

Anyhow, both auctions end in a little over two hours so a little last minute advice would be great.

Thanks,
tommyboy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 15 2009, 12:55 AM
Instructor
I'm not sure cause I don't have that kind of a setup myself, and I believe that not a lot of people do, but I think that pickup will work fine. Pickups are generally easy to swap, so if it doesn't work for you, you can always exchange it again and experiment. Good luck with your project, tell us how it went man.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 15 2009, 12:55 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Jan 15 2009, 01:03 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 14 2009, 05:55 PM) *
I'm not sure cause I don't have that kind of a setup myself, and I believe that not a lot of people do, but I think that pickup will work fine. Pickups are generally easy to swap, so if it doesn't work for you, you can always exchange it again and experiment. Good luck with your project, tell us how it went man.

Will do, it's the basswood that got me scratching my head. Will a hot ceramic pickup be too thin? Les Pauls are Mahogany body's and tend to be a bit darker and warmer than say Alder or Basswood. But I love this pickup with my Paul and Marshall combination. Anyhow, thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted.

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 15 2009, 01:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
The 500t is terriby bassy (sorry I just don't like those muddy Gibson High gain humbuckers) and your guitar will not have much low end so the 500t should work well in there, very balanced sounding. Maybe the high end will be a bit harsh and stingy though...

The tone zone with it's alnico 5 magnet will make a great neck pickup in a basswood/maple neck guitar as it has low end and lacks high end and your guitar will lack low end and have lots of high end so once again very well balanced!

IMHO I would go for a Seymour duncan Sh-4 in the bridge, it will work perfect with your guitar's specs and will be more versitaile than the 500t! A Dimarzio Super Distortion would be the choice if you HAVE TO HAVE a ceramic bridge pickup.

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 15 2009, 01:19 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Jan 15 2009, 01:35 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 14 2009, 06:15 PM) *
The 500t is terriby bassy (sorry I just don't like those muddy Gibson High gain humbuckers) and your guitar will not have much low end so the 500t should work well in there, very balanced sounding. Maybe the high end will be a bit harsh and stingy though...

The tone zone with it's alnico 5 magnet will make a great neck pickup in a basswood/maple neck guitar as it has low end and lacks high end and your guitar will lack low end and have lots of high end so once again very well balanced!

IMHO I would go for a Seymour duncan Sh-4 in the bridge, it will work perfect with your guitar's specs and will be more versitaile than the 500t! A Dimarzio Super Distortion would be the choice if you HAVE TO HAVE a ceramic bridge pickup.

Ok, even though your not a Giby pickup fan I'm liking what your saying. I thought the Tone pro was a ceramic magnet I'll have to recheck. I'm just trying to create a hot guitar with used parts for the least amount of money. I got the body and the neck for free. The neck has never been played and looks in perfect conditon (straight, frets etc.). I don't know where it came from as the guy I got it from has so many old guitar parts it's pathetic.

I love my 500t on my Les Paul and it's not overly bassy IMO. I have a Charvel with a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the bridge position and It's similar in tone without the gain however. I thought of the Super Distortion but is finding one used for the right price. The 500t is the right price so far as well as the Tone Pro.

Thanks for the help,
tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Jan 15 2009, 03:12 AM
Lost the bid on the 500t but got a Dimarzio Super Distorton for $45.00 with shipping. Second choice but I know it's a great pickup. Still working on the neck pickup. I'd like a hum canceling single coil configuration to go with the Super Distortion. Still biding on the Tone Pro.

tommyboy

Got a Dimarzio Fast track 2 for 23.00 bucks. I guess I'm good now. Thanks guys.

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 16 2009, 03:57 PM
Instructor
You got yourself a great deal mate! Congrats, and tell use how it sounds when you get them in.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Jan 16 2009, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 16 2009, 08:57 AM) *
You got yourself a great deal mate! Congrats, and tell use how it sounds when you get them in.

Will Do! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:25 AM