3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Freaky Tarantula Finger
Mertay
Mar 5 2017, 09:33 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 5 2017, 07:44 PM) *

Cool, the hand position is much better (can improve a bit more, keep doing the strech for a little more) smile.gif

As phase 2; The exercise MonkeyDAthos recommended is about (to me) the force we use to press the string. If too weak the string will buzz and if too hard then many other problems (!) occur. Even if right next to you, its very hard for someone to understand if you're using too much strength but I have suspicion.

Slowly do that exercise across all fretboard patiently, see if you use too much strenght overall or certain parts of the fretboard. Let it buzz first then apply more strenght gently. While doing so, make sure the guitar takes balance from your right elbow as much as possible so you're not overusing your left hand thumb.

Remember to give as much strength from proximal phalanx as possible. Let see how this also works out...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 5 2017, 09:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Mertay,

Yeah, I have always been guilty of pressing too hard, in my early REC takes Gab always told me my guitar was out of tune, I always tuned it. It turned out I was pressing too hard and making sharp notes. My notes aren't very defined in that take, I'm concentrating so hard on my tarantula finger that I'm forgetting everything else.

I don't think the progress is too bad though for one week trying to correct a 20+ year old bad habit biggrin.gif

Cheers mate.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 5 2017, 10:00 PM
Not left but my right hand had issues I had to fix in the past and yeah, its not easy and more so needs patience... but it was worth it smile.gif

Everything becomes so easier or atleast needs less effort. I was afraid adjusting my techniqe would mean to begin everthing from scratch but thankfully this didn't happen. Once you feel confident you fixed the issues, make sure to work on unfamiliar stuff/scales for a while to let it soak in.

And yeah its so nice to see progress this fast, as habbits to fix you also have good experience which to me helps solving things faster smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 14 2017, 02:35 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm the same as you Phil I had the right hand of a vice on my fretboard, It's taken me quite a while to lighten up my fretting and start to relax, I still need to do more work stretching as I have way too much tension on two tone fingering, but it's getting there. Pushing my elbow forward enabling my hand to come around the fretboard more has helped

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 14 2017, 06:40 PM
You could always try it "THUMBLESS" smile.gif E.G. Pull your thumb off the neck and use only your fingertips for pressure on the strings. This seems nearly impossible at first, but it does teach your hand to focus on your fingrtips and lightens your touch on the guitar!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 5 2017, 04:44 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Yeah, I have always been guilty of pressing too hard, in my early REC takes Gab always told me my guitar was out of tune, I always tuned it. It turned out I was pressing too hard and making sharp notes. My notes aren't very defined in that take, I'm concentrating so hard on my tarantula finger that I'm forgetting everything else.

I don't think the progress is too bad though for one week trying to correct a 20+ year old bad habit biggrin.gif

Cheers mate.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 14 2017, 10:09 PM
To POSTER BOY AND PHILL

I wrote this lick as a drill for you guys to serve as a warmup and ear training, and for practice switching between alt picking and econ picking, at speed, in the same lick. Give it a listen and see if you can do it by ear!! Without tab.It's a basic triad, just moving down in whole steps. Same thing at each position. It's also LOOPABLE!! So you can grab it and loop it in your daw.
Try it
*THUMBLESS (if possible)
*DOUBLE PICKED (Ifpossible)

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/inside-picking-drill-with-traverse

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 14 2017, 09:35 AM) *
I'm the same as you Phil I had the right hand of a vice on my fretboard, It's taken me quite a while to lighten up my fretting and start to relax, I still need to do more work stretching as I have way too much tension on two tone fingering, but it's getting there. Pushing my elbow forward enabling my hand to come around the fretboard more has helped

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 14 2017, 10:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2017, 03:44 AM
And here it is with some keyboards smile.gif It's turning into a "Thing" I think I'm going to use it as the basis for next weeks Shred Challenge with bonus points for anyone that can play the rythm part as well.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/inside-picking-drill-with-traverse-version-ii

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 15 2017, 08:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Todd

That will be a nice warm up. I've just started going through PG's Intense Rock 1, I've had it since the 90's but never gave it a proper chance.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 15 2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks for that Todd,

I doubt I could sort that out by ear though, my ear is probably my least musical body part laugh.gif

I'll probably give it a try at the weekend. Thanks for your help buddy.

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2017, 10:31 PM
Ear Training is part of the very HARD stuff in terms of guitar IMHO. I made you guys a quick video to show you the picking pattern of the right hand here. It combines Alternate inside picking with Econ Picking. Being able to go between these two picking styles is not easy, but will help in a lot of areas of playing.

Here is the vid smile.gif (NOTE: IM TUNED HALF A STEP OFF! So guitar is tuned down one half step, E.G. Open E is tuned to D#. I threw you a curve ball on this, but I fear I've gone overboard. You can just play half a step higher or tune to D#/Eflat.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 15 2017, 11:09 AM) *
Thanks for that Todd,

I doubt I could sort that out by ear though, my ear is probably my least musical body part laugh.gif

I'll probably give it a try at the weekend. Thanks for your help buddy.

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 15 2017, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2017, 01:41 AM
P.S. was the video helpful? I'll go ahead and put up the Guitar Pro as well. I probably should not have thrown the alternative tuning at ya!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 15 2017, 05:31 PM) *
Ear Training is part of the very HARD stuff in terms of guitar IMHO. I made you guys a quick video to show you the picking pattern of the right hand here. It combines Alternate inside picking with Econ Picking. Being able to go between these two picking styles is not easy, but will help in a lot of areas of playing.

Here is the vid smile.gif (NOTE: IM TUNED HALF A STEP OFF! So guitar is tuned down one half step, E.G. Open E is tuned to D#. I threw you a curve ball on this, but I fear I've gone overboard. You can just play half a step higher or tune to D#/Eflat.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2017, 09:19 PM
Thanks Todd but as you know, life has thrown a couple of curve balls at me recently so I haven't had as much time to get on my geetar.

Hopefully soon wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 21 2017, 05:05 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I hate to say this because I don't want to discourage anyone but it has been my experience that unlearning bad habits can often times actually be harder than learning new things such as techniques or songs.
When I first started really trying to buckle down on picking technique and playing faster, it was evident that my fret hand was slowing me down. It took a constant effort and reminding myself to lighten up to only as much pressure as I needed to cleanly sound each note. I also had to constantly remind myself and be conscious of how high I lifted my fingers off of the frets as to only lift them as high as I needed to when running a fast passage. The less motion you have, the faster you can go.
Now it is like I have 2 gears. I will still fret harder when doing some things like riffing or on some blues type stuff, but lightening up to play a fast run now has become a bit more automatic.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2017, 12:00 AM
Quite true smile.gif You are a case in point though of how it is possible to retrain ones hand and get much better results. It's a constant struggle, even for me sometimes, to keep a light touch and not let natural tension over ride my playing. Also, to not bear down to hard on pick or string unless needed. It's not easy, but with effort, it's doable smile.gif I created the "Thumbless" technique out of a need to retrain my own hand to not press to hard on the frets. I shared it with students here during video chat and saw many students make great gains from that one simple thing.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 21 2017, 12:05 AM) *
I hate to say this because I don't want to discourage anyone but it has been my experience that unlearning bad habits can often times actually be harder than learning new things such as techniques or songs.
When I first started really trying to buckle down on picking technique and playing faster, it was evident that my fret hand was slowing me down. It took a constant effort and reminding myself to lighten up to only as much pressure as I needed to cleanly sound each note. I also had to constantly remind myself and be conscious of how high I lifted my fingers off of the frets as to only lift them as high as I needed to when running a fast passage. The less motion you have, the faster you can go.
Now it is like I have 2 gears. I will still fret harder when doing some things like riffing or on some blues type stuff, but lightening up to play a fast run now has become a bit more automatic.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 22 2017, 04:00 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 21 2017, 03:00 PM) *
Quite true smile.gif You are a case in point though of how it is possible to retrain ones hand and get much better results. It's a constant struggle, even for me sometimes, to keep a light touch and not let natural tension over ride my playing. Also, to not bear down to hard on pick or string unless needed. It's not easy, but with effort, it's doable smile.gif I created the "Thumbless" technique out of a need to retrain my own hand to not press to hard on the frets. I shared it with students here during video chat and saw many students make great gains from that one simple thing.

Todd

Yeah, those bad habits will come back if you let them. I notice it if I don't play for a while. Sometimes I won't pick up the guitar for a week or more. And when I pick it back up after the downtime, I find I need to run some some drills for a while to get the hand sync dialed in again. I think this mainly because I just start playing with heavy hands again. After all, I have been playing with heavy hands far longer than I have played lightly so those demons are always just below the surface and ready to re-emerge.
I remember the thumbless drills. smile.gif It really is a good way to get that reset without thinking too much about it. I think the best thing one can do to get past most of the hurdles that keep us from improving is simply to RELAX. The more you can keep your playing relaxed, everything else will come much easier.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2017, 03:27 AM
Well said!!! OLD HABITS DIE HARD!!!! You may find them creeping back in if you are not careful. It's a natural thing. Takes effort to get back what you had but it can be done pretty quick, then your hands remember and go 'oh yeah!" smile.gif

Also well said on staying relaxed. It's natural to tense up, especially at speed, but taking over your natural body response and forcing your body and hands/arms to relax is something you can train the body to do pretty quickly. You do have to think about it at first, but it becomes more instinctual as you go. If one doesn't relax, one ends up picking from the elbow which IMHO actually puts a cap on your ability instead of enhancing it.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 22 2017, 11:00 AM) *
Yeah, those bad habits will come back if you let them. I notice it if I don't play for a while. Sometimes I won't pick up the guitar for a week or more. And when I pick it back up after the downtime, I find I need to run some some drills for a while to get the hand sync dialed in again. I think this mainly because I just start playing with heavy hands again. After all, I have been playing with heavy hands far longer than I have played lightly so those demons are always just below the surface and ready to re-emerge.
I remember the thumbless drills. smile.gif It really is a good way to get that reset without thinking too much about it. I think the best thing one can do to get past most of the hurdles that keep us from improving is simply to RELAX. The more you can keep your playing relaxed, everything else will come much easier.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 27 2017, 06:00 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 22 2017, 06:27 PM) *
Well said!!! OLD HABITS DIE HARD!!!! You may find them creeping back in if you are not careful. It's a natural thing. Takes effort to get back what you had but it can be done pretty quick, then your hands remember and go 'oh yeah!" smile.gif

Also well said on staying relaxed. It's natural to tense up, especially at speed, but taking over your natural body response and forcing your body and hands/arms to relax is something you can train the body to do pretty quickly. You do have to think about it at first, but it becomes more instinctual as you go. If one doesn't relax, one ends up picking from the elbow which IMHO actually puts a cap on your ability instead of enhancing it.

Todd

This is why I miss the weekend video chats with you. For me it was a great way to stay on top of these things and keep the demons at bay, and as a great warmup for any practicing/playing/recording that I might have been doing later. smile.gif

Phil! How's that finger work coming man?

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 27 2017, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 27 2017, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 27 2017, 05:00 PM) *
Phil! How's that finger work coming man?

It's coming on great thanks. I've made big improvements, I think the final fine tuning will take months. Always the same, you get 80% across the road very quickly and the remaining 20% to the other side takes a long time (Pareto Principle)

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 28 2017, 05:27 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 27 2017, 11:29 AM) *
It's coming on great thanks. I've made big improvements, I think the final fine tuning will take months. Always the same, you get 80% across the road very quickly and the remaining 20% to the other side takes a long time (Pareto Principle)

Glad to hear it, Phil. Keep up the good work! In my line of work over the years (primarily construction) I have become intimately familiar with this principle, also Murphy's law. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 28 2017, 05:49 PM
Me too in engineering mate, www.omegapistons.com wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 07:25 AM