New Guitar, gibson style guitar
Timmez
Jul 16 2014, 05:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello guys i hope someone can help me with this because is said to myself that if i'm done with my study i'll buy an gibson les paul but its very expensive and i have to wait 3 years.

If i would have a nice gibson style guitar with good price quality, do you know which one i can look for?

It doesnt have to be cheap but i cant afford 3000 euro.

I'm looking for a guitar with a gibson les Paul sound and long sustain. I want to play music with it in de style of acdc, gary moore and stuff like that.

Hope somebody can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Grtzz Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 16 2014, 06:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
What about an Epiphone Les Paul? they are owned by Gibson and prices go from about 100 euro up to around 600 euros.
Depending on your budget, Gibson also have the LPJ Les Paul for about 500 euro.

But if you are looking for a les paul below 500 euro, I would check out the Epiphone's, you will get a decent Les Paul from them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 16 2014, 07:03 PM
GMC:er
If you can find yourself a rare Gibson Les Paul Standard DC - 24 fret with Double Cut. GO FOR IT!
They have some nice access to the higher frets, etc. Play some sweet sustained blues, all the way down to rock and metal, etc.

Else your probably better off with a Gibson SG Standard, if your more focused on heavy rocking out like ACDC.

I personally find the Gibson Les Paul to be a little top heavy, fat neck and limited access (for how I play), which the Double Cut can fix all of that, but it's harder to come by. I used one in the past, must say I still miss her. They do have some sweet blues sound and lots of sustain. I could even shred away on the Double Cutaway. I actually made profit when I came to selling it, they went up in price. The only reason for selling was due to having an ESP M-II CTM STD (with Neck-thru, gotta have that) - my dream shred rock/metal guitar and only being able to play one axe at a time.

As for the SG it is lighter and faster handling than the original LP, throaty tone with more of a mid-range punch. If you want a more aggressive rocking "ACDC" sound. You get rid of the top heavy completely, but end up more prone to neck-dive if not careful. You do lose out a bit on the blues and range of tone, compared to the LP. Just depends what your after.

"If Gibsons were dogs, the SG has more bark, and the Les Paul has more growl/howl"

pss: No Epiphone Les Paul, get the Gibson USA Slash Rosso Corsa Les Paul Guitar instead of that!!! biggrin.gif

However, seriously if you do plan to go Epiphone with a Gibson, consider aftermarket bridge and tailpieces (it might be still cheaper) to regain some of that sweet, sweet sustain. I've personally noticed the difference (for Gibson).

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 16 2014, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 17 2014, 04:09 PM
The LTD EC Series might be worth checking out.
You can see them HERE.

There are also several PRS SE models that are LP-ish shaped. The Mark Tremonti, the Zach Myers, the Singlecut, the 245, the Fredrick Akesson or the Mikael Akerfeldt to name a few!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2014, 08:15 AM
Instructor
The Tremonti SE is an absolutely great guitar, especially the new model smile.gif Tried it and it rocks!

What would your EXACT budget be, Tim?

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jul 18 2014, 01:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 18 2014, 07:15 AM) *
The Tremonti SE is an absolutely great guitar, especially the new model smile.gif Tried it and it rocks!

What would your EXACT budget be, Tim?

Hey guys thank you for your help.

My ultimate price goes to 1500 euro. I have a nice IBANEZ custom made guitar and it have to be the same quality (other sound) or better.
So its not that i dont have only 500 euro.

I would rather invest in a good guitar that amuses me for years than a cheaper one which are standing in the corner of my room getting dust.

Its only that a gibson les Paul old model is real expensive and i heard from a lot of guys that there are other brands and companies who makes giutar with same quality only cheaper because they dont have the Name that Gibson has..

Grtzz Tim

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 18 2014, 02:49 PM
Tim
it seems that you really like having a Les Paul, so an Epiphone is the way to go, end of the story. Anyway with your budget there are quite few guitars that can amuse you for years. Actually it is much more that I thought reading your first post. The old suggestion to search review on the web and visit a good retail shop always apply.

Carmine

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 18 2014, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Well, there are some great possibilities around that budget. I have two of them and I'm very happy with both.

Gibson Les Paul Studio: I own one and I'm so happy with it, it's comfortable, it has Les Paul sound but it's versatile and modern. I recommend you to seach for a 90's model because I think that sound better than the new ones.

Fernandes Monterrey: These guitars are fantastic. I have one, it sounds killer, it has less bass than the let paul but that's not a bad thing, it has more attack and most of the times it fits better in mixes (playing live and recordings) than my Gibson.

PRS SE Singlecut: This is the "PRS les paul". I tried one and it's really good and comfortable, I could compare it with my Monterrey regarding playability and quality. Cosmin is the man to talk about this one.

LTD EC: I could try one of these ones and it's great for les paul metal lovers that want to shred but also want to play low powerful and modern riffing. Check some Andy James video to see it in action.

All these guitars are on a similar price range so I recommend you to try them at a guitar store and choose the one that feels better in your hands.

Gab.- (a les paul lover) biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 18 2014, 03:45 PM
You can get a real Gibson LP for 1500 Euros.
The mid line models will have to be 'used' (pre owned) or you can get a new LP 'studio' (way less than 1500) or 'traditional pro II' (right at about 1500).

*One of the benefits of getting something that says Gibson on the headstock is that if you ever decide to sell it - ? ... You'll get back what you paid for it.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 18 2014, 06:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
aw man, I thought your budget was much less wink.gif as Gab and Ken mentioned you'll get a great gibson LP with that budget. Its not going to be a '59 flametop but you can get the Studio, Studio Pro, Traditional, T Signature..... loads biggrin.gif
There are some really nice honeyburst traditionals with zebra pickups within that budget.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 19 2014, 08:23 AM
Instructor
As Gabi stated, I can help out with PRS guitars and in that budget, if you decide that you want a new guitar and you want to go for greater quality than the SE series, you could go for the S2 series singlecut:

http://www.prsguitars.com/s2singlecut/

This is the USA made singlecut which can go to about 1545 EUR - my suggestion is to try it yourself smile.gif It will definitely have a great tone and it's much friendlier than a Gibson Les Paul in respect to playability - but by all means, go out there and try one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 19 2014, 09:51 AM
Instructor
Just wanted to add an explanation to one thing. I would never go for 24 fretted Les Paul because one of the most important factors that make sound both - LP and Strat guitars so good in neck position is...the number of frets that makes the neck pickup able to be installed closer to the center point of strings. It makes a lot of difference if You have 22 or 24 frets.

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jul 19 2014, 02:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank you all guys!.

Thursday i go to a shop where they have a used Gibson Les Paul Studio from 1996.

then i will play and see if i buy it. he is in very good condition and i'll have to pay 895,- euro.

Is this expensive or a normal price? And do you know what they cost if they are new.

It is from the '90./

Grtzz Tim L

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 19 2014, 05:18 PM
That's a little high. At least in the states - €895 is about $1200 and you can usually get a new one for that price.
I don't know, is 1996 a good year for LP studios?
*It always depends on the exact model (color, hardware, pkups, case, etc.) and condition.

I don't know the protocol in the Netherlands but over here we'd walk in with cash and offer a lot less to start with.

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jul 19 2014, 08:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
ok thanx man,

Yeah in Holland the prices are also higher i think because they dont make them here.

I will see if i can get something off the price and try some. then i will see but thanx man!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2014, 07:52 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim - I think that seeing it and trying it will be a great experience, even if you won't settle for this one smile.gif

See how the sound and playing on it feel like - these two would be the first to take into account, if you ask me wink.gif I for one, would care less about the looks, if a guitar sounds and plays amazing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:20 AM