Building My Own Pedalboard...
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2009, 05:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
I was bummed out with my effect pedals flying arround everywhere in the rehearsal-room but I didn't want to buy one of those expensive pedalboards so I went to the hardwarestore, bought some screws and a plate and bolted those little buggers down tongue.gif . I think it looks much cooler than anything I could have bought and it only cost ~20 Euros!

Here are the building steps from the drawboard to the finished pedalboard:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jul 9 2009, 05:16 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Skalde
Jul 9 2009, 05:17 PM
Learning Roadie
looks like Heavy Metal smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 9 2009, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Looks nice....

And you can feel happy that it is you who built it

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2009, 05:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (superize @ Jul 9 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Looks nice....

And you can feel happy that it is you who built it

Yeah! I built it with my Grandfather!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jmguitar64
Jul 9 2009, 06:35 PM
GMC:er
Pedal boards are way overpriced, kudos for making your own man. im planning on making one as well once i get all the pedals i want

btw, what pedas do you got?

This post has been edited by Jmguitar64: Jul 9 2009, 06:36 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 9 2009, 06:39 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
great, sturdy and has the looks smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2009, 06:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Jmguitar64 @ Jul 9 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Pedal boards are way overpriced, kudos for making your own man. im planning on making one as well once i get all the pedals i want

btw, what pedas do you got?

From Right to Left:

-Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah
-MXR Custom Shop GT Overdrive
-Boss Tuner
-ISP Decimator Noisegate
-MXR Carbon Copy Delay

That's all I will (propably) ever need, I don't need any fancy flanger/phaser type effects and I already have a great reverb on my Amp. I like the wah because it sounds old school like while being able to handle high gain and drop tunings, the OD thightens things up or boost, the tuner is a must for tuning AND muting the signal when you switch guitars, the Noisegate beacause I get A LOT of feadback from my Marshall on High gain+ it has a true bypass and finally the Delay a little offset as it goes into the efx loop - the analog delay just blows any digital delay out of the water tonewise!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 9 2009, 07:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pretty cool Zakk!, you say you screwed the pedals to the board? How?

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2009, 07:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 9 2009, 08:13 PM) *
Pretty cool Zakk!, you say you screwed the pedals to the board? How?

I measured the distance between the screws on the back of the pedals, drawn it on the back of the aluminum plate and drilled holes. After that I bought longer screws and bolted the pedals on, replacing the original screws...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 9 2009, 09:47 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Sounds good!. I see you have boss tuner, just wondering, is that a true bypass? Or at least good enough not to suck much tone.
I'm thinking of getting one lately.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 9 2009, 09:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Isn't a basic pedalboard like this just a ground plate to screw your pedals on to? Crazy prices for those things.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 9 2009, 09:50 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 9 2009, 05:14 PM) *
I think it looks much cooler than anything I could have bought

I agree, looks way better than the Behringer board I bought, nice job mate! smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2009, 11:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
The boss tuner is the one Pedal I could not live without anymore!

The boss or Korg ones are the most reliable floortuners at a reasonable price.
The boss can be used in two ways as it has two outputs:
-Bypass: Tuning without muting the guitar but the signal is true bypassed
-Mute: Guitar signal is muted while tuning, no bypass but no irrtating tuning noise + great when switching guitars

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 10 2009, 12:23 AM
Instructor
That is a nice pedalboard man! smile.gif

I made one pedalboard a while ago I don't have it anymore tho.. sad.gif

This is how it looked (in the case):

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jul 14 2009, 05:31 PM
GMC:er
I did my own pedal board, though I've not actually put anything on it yet. I got too ambitious and made it massive with multiple tears, so its really heavy and bulky. Also, I need to buy a good flight case to put it in, but I fear that could get expensive given its size.

I'll post some pics, I've been meaning to take some of my new guitar anyhow so shall do it at the same time, perhaps on the weekend.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 14 2009, 05:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Again, isn't a pedal board just like a base to put your pedals in? Or do you also connect the pedals to the board?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 14 2009, 05:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Good job on building your own pedalboard man! Looks like a professional job! How are you carrying it around? Do you have a box for it or something?

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 14 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Again, isn't a pedal board just like a base to put your pedals in? Or do you also connect the pedals to the board?

Well it basicly is. It also features inputs and outputs for your guitar/amp and possible through connections etc.Also you get one power source for all pedals and connections so its handy. I have boss bcb60 pedal board and I love it ! Its handy light and it provides me with all the necessary connections and cables , so on a gig I just lay it down and open it and everything is in there. Its so easy to carry around and sturdy I do think its a little bit overpriced but definitely its worth it if you have lots of pedals and gig around.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 14 2009, 05:50 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 14 2009, 05:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 14 2009, 05:34 PM) *

Depends mate, you can get some with built in power supplies and such, and also ones that come with wiring looms etc.
It all depends on what you use it for and what pedals you have to power/operate I suppose, I would build one to a flight case like Ivan did and just wire it all myself, then get a really decent power supply, I cant remember the name but the gigrig website has some awesome stuff for supplies, also check out their switching units which are just mega but inevitably loads of dough! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 14 2009, 10:07 PM
Instructor
If you guys are into DIY stuff, I can only say that building a pedalboard was a cool experience, but I today can safely say that getting a factory one (Like Boss BCB60) is much safer bet. Simply put - the quality of what you can made can never be as good as getting molded case that will be lighter, more practical and with better quality components (like patches, PS unit etc..). It is more pricey in the end, but not so much, maybe 40% (if you are buidling full pedalboard with case, patches and PS). I know it's sounds like a commercial, but I just wanted to give my thought on this.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 15 2009, 12:34 AM
Instructor
Nicely done Zakk smile.gif Looks great!

I built my own pedalboard not too long ago, but it's not halfway as sturdy and cool-looking as yours smile.gif

It's made from whatever i could find in the cellar:
Superglue, electrical tape and some wood-boards that used to belong to a bed. Cheap and crude with no pre-planning whatsoever, but does the job smile.gif

Here's a pic of it:

There's a hole on the front side where the GT-8 is. All the cables sticking out from the GT goes under the board.

Havent had the time to finish it or hook all the pedals up the way i want them yet, so it looks a bit messy right now. There's still bits of tape all over the floor biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Jul 15 2009, 12:44 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:00 PM