Play For Other Artists, what do you think
coffeeman
Oct 27 2008, 04:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi guys,

I was reading today Greg Howe's bio and it said that he has played for a lot of artists like Jennifer Batten, Michael Jackson, NSYNC, Justin Timberlake, Enrique Iglesias and a lot more.

This is a very important issue when it comes to choosing music, in this case guitar, as your profession.

I would love to read your opinions, I think is a very valid alternative , you can record go on tour with other artists and have your own project.

What do you think ? Would you do it? If you have already do it what are your experiences?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
SonofDestiny
Oct 27 2008, 04:13 PM
GMC:er
If I were good enough and had the oppertunity.. definately!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 27 2008, 04:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 27 2008, 04:04 PM) *
What do you think ? Would you do it? If you have already do it what are your experiences?

Sounds booring to be a session musician. I would do it if it was my work and I had to earn a living. Only reason I would.

In "your own" rockband there are more possibilities to freak out and take up space. Use your creativity and shine. With a huge artist you're there to do your job, do it good and by the note, while the star is supposed to shine, noone cares much about who you are and what you do or if you stand behind the scene.
I wouldn't apply for a TV band playing for Idol 2009 or similar either. Or the TV bingo saturday entertainment. Brrr laugh.gif

In a band where the guitarist is supposed and allowed to be creative I'd go. Like with the Boss, or if I could take Steve Morse's place in DP that would be cool too to mention a couple examples biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 27 2008, 04:42 PM
If I get an opportunity to play with someone famous, than I will defintly take it.

Sure, he might want me to play very specific and boring parts, but the publicity I will recieve will be worth it, not to mention the money..

And those should hopefuly help support my own musician career.

Plus, it never hurts to meet people in the industry..

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 27 2008, 04:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Oct 27 2008, 03:42 PM) *
If I get an opportunity to play with someone famous, than I will defintly take it.

Sure, he might want me to play very specific and boring parts, but the publicity I will recieve will be worth it, not to mention the money..

I agree 100%.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 27 2008, 05:16 PM
IMO especially if you'd like to pursue a solo carrier it is well worth to start off as a session musician. Be careful not to get stuck where you are tho. You can gain a lot of experience, and this is a good wormhole to fight your way into music industry...

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 27 2008, 05:19 PM
Instructor
I agree with Emir and Iluha, even though it might not be what you want to play, it gives you some exposure.

I once read on a guitar world Magazine, that back in the 70 when rock was dead, Satriani played disco music, and he said even though he didn't like it, he was making a living doing what he loves, playing guitar, he got some exposure, eventually rock came back hard in the 80's and look where he is now.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 27 2008, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Oct 27 2008, 11:42 AM) *

You have the same answer as I do.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 27 2008, 05:34 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Iluha @ Oct 27 2008, 04:42 PM) *

I couldn't agree more smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 27 2008, 10:21 PM
Instructor
Also the experience gained when doing these kind of jobs makes you even better musician and a professionalist, so always take a chance if you have one.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 27 2008, 10:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Iluha @ Oct 27 2008, 04:42 PM) *

Problaby the most quoted post on one page, ever tongue.gif

But I agree as well ^^

Playing as a session musician and actually playing guitar as a living, is better then working as, say, a electrician.. Where you work from 9-5 thinking about playing guitar, then going home to play a few hours dreaming about working with the stars..
And I have had a good, hard think about that very subject, since this was the path I went at first.. Before I changed studies completely to become a journalist/music colomnist/writer or whatever I turn out as ^^

This post has been edited by Canis: Oct 27 2008, 10:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 27 2008, 11:11 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well if you have the opportunity to play guitar as living - why not ?? You choose the job that satisfy you....something you like doing..It can be in any form , strictly as a session musician or just playing in your own rock band or teaching or any combination of those things...Its a nice living definitly...But as with everything , you need to invest a lot of time and effort in order to be successful in it..(same with all the jobs)...I don't believe in the "luck" part of music jobs, if you're persistent and good in what you do - you will find a gig/job and you will be able to make money one way or the other..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 27 2008, 11:11 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 27 2008, 11:53 PM
Instructor
I did some session work, and as I see it you always learn something even if the style is not of your taste.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2008, 11:59 PM
Instructor
I've played and recorded for dozen of different solo artists and bends
from my country and region.
Th deal is,there are some major popular guitarists out there
and they can live by playing their own stuff only,
which is an absolute achievement imo.
On the other hand,there are a whole lot more pro players
without so great solo career so they have to work
as "hired guns",sessions players etc.
I'm one of them of course,
many times I play with people I don't like that much
but that's business only and you do it as business,cool head.
There are good and bad experiences when
you're playing for someone else,but that's another story. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 28 2008, 01:22 AM
And remember that Greg Howe played for those artists because they sought him out. The paycheck had to be pretty good, but the exposure and the opportunity to network with popular recording artists could only help Greg's career.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 28 2008, 01:37 AM
Instructor
I agree with Muris and Emir on this one however I have a story of my own to tell you here smile.gif

I remember not that long ago when I was 21 then 23 (4 and 2 years ago) I had offers to play for top artists in my country.
The reason why I refused these offers is I don't play Serbian folk music and I don't enjoy doing that style of music. I can listen to it on weddings and when I am celebrating drinking and stuff but I can never sit down with clean head and enjoy it as much as I can enjoy jazz rock blues fusion metal funk instrumental music. If by any chance that gig had some rock blues jazz fusion funk metal even r&b or even pop elements in it I would do it but folk music 7/8,9/8, 11/8 and harmonic minor with half naked female singer on stage and people acting like they are in 12th century - no thanks smile.gif

When they made a tv show about me on B92 television here in Serbia, I was asked would I ever play for Serbian top folk celebrities (tour record etc) - at that time I clearly stated that if I ever did that I would have no respect for myself as a person and I would immediately loose all the musical value meaning and sense in my life in career. After all I didn't study at London Guitar Institute and Berklee (and taught at Berklee) to come back and perform with folk singers in my country . For that you don't need any music school or degree just mileage and you are all set...

I was aware at that time as I am now that by refusing to play for these artists I made my life more difficult financially. They were paying really well but I decided to do my own thing and stick with it.
It all comes down to this - what do you want to do with music and your career? Do you play music to be happy because you play it or you treat it like everyday job ? For me music has always been pleasure passion and desire and I never plan to make it be like a job. I do everything I can to brake out of ordinary patterns and create new fun and cool approaches to practicing composing improvising etc.
I have to say that I am very grateful that I can make a living doing what I like to do most and best, and if nothing else I feel good knowing I am getting to where I want to be in my music path and career.

Lots of guys rock at GMC and all over the world but at the end comes down to what is guitar and music really to you and what role does it play in your life.

Am I making enough money in my life? Who is ! If I had milion $ I would know how to spend them in an hour smile.gif So you can never have enough money, but you can keep your spirit fresh and have healthy approach to things you do in life.

Awesome topic by the way , I enjoy reading all your responses to it.
Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 28 2008, 01:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 28 2008, 01:57 AM
Instructor
If you want to make a living of playing guitar only, you must do some session work. Chances are 1 : 100.000 that you can make it by selling and playing your music only. I am also trying hard with my music but I can see that some miracle needs to happen before I can put a smile on my face. I have worked with many famous people and all of them also do session work plus have some other regular full time job. Gone are the times when we had only one Vai, one Satriani and a couple of more. Today you have million simillar players and there is no way to be on the top of them if you count on sales of your own music only. Even the industry doesn't care about guitarists anymore. The only option is if they make X-factor for guitar and make a media BUM out of it then you can give it a try. These guys who did competitions for Guitar Idol and similar stuff are still nowhere in the see of similar players. Some of them got guitar, some amp and some a couple of packs of strings smile.gif Playing for some famous musicians is definitely a great promotion but even that doesn't mean that you've made it.

Canis said: Playing as a session musician and actually playing guitar as a living, is better then working as, say, a electrician

Yes bro it's a lot better but trust me that every electrician here in London drives £30.000 cars and I am still riding my bicycle smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 28 2008, 02:07 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 28 2008, 01:57 AM) *
Yes bro it's a lot better but trust me that every electrician here in London drives £30.000 cars and I am still riding my bicycle smile.gif

It's so hard trying to make a decent living at this thing we love. I want to make enough teaching guitar, (I just got that gig), to be able to pay the bills and buy more guitar gear. But most of the time, there's not enough money. To really make a run at this thing, I'll have to teach during the weekdays (and nights), and hope to play on weekends again. I love the prospect but there are no guarantees. We'll see. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 28 2008, 02:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (FrankW @ Oct 28 2008, 03:07 AM) *
It's so hard trying to make a decent living at this thing we love. I want to make enough teaching guitar, (I just got that gig), to be able to pay the bills and buy more guitar gear. But most of the time, there's not enough money. To really make a run at this thing, I'll have to teach during the weekdays (and nights), and hope to play on weekends again. I love the prospect but there are no guarantees. We'll see. smile.gif

I love the way you said it in last two sentences.

Prospect is there always - its up to you to take advantage and do your best with it !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 28 2008, 02:25 AM
Instructor
I don't think there's a need to be on top of any player, that is mission impossible, and ideal that is unachievable. Working with other musicians and major stars is a good thing to add to a CV, and it will certainly be useful as and experience gaining opportunity. That kind of stuff cannot be learned in any school and it is priceless, while money comes and goes. There is no fame in that line of work, rare are occasions where players actually get the credit for what they played, often the star has all the rights. In some countries the situation is better of course, but here it is even often worse..
SO the only way to be famous is to build author work, make superb songs, and cut a deal at a major record label, and push on through. If you make a mediocre album - no use, there is no fame in there, you can try as hard as you want - the worst albums in R&R history are mediocre albums.
My point is all jobs are good cause they pay the bill if you don't have any other incomes or jobs, and all that gives experience. After a while it really becomes a more of a brain wash than a real job, and author work and creativity is the only cure to not to be forgotten in the sea of nameless guitar players.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:08 PM