Tips For Young Player
Kizaze44
Jul 24 2008, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
Hey Bogdan,

My son, who is 12 and a great drummer, now wants to learn bass. I can teach him a little to get him started. I was wondering if you have any tips or advice for a new, young player?

-Kizaze

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 24 2008, 06:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That's great news! Being a drummer will be big plus surly!
I suggest paying attention first at hands positioning and I would suggest learning to play fingerstyle (right hand) from the beginning.Also left hand should be playing one finger per fret..I would suggest showing him really basic stuff as how notes are distributed over the fretboard..Once he learns that and get used to really simple fingering he can learn a simple song.. (for moral boost)..Then off to practicing, I would suggest him to check out my basic bass line building blocks lessons and harmonizing major scale series (basic theory knowledge)...Also left and right hand technique exercises for developing strength in hands..That will be a good start..Also I would suggest checking out Andrews theory lessons - one about major scale because some of my lessons back on that knowledge..Also playing a scale up and down the neck will be a most efficient way to get used to left and right hand fingering on bass..
Just remember to start slowly and take time to develop...

p.s. Regarding the right hand technique , It would be very nice to concentrate on right hand alternating..Meaning one note is played picked with index finger and other with middle and in circle...It's very important to start early with that so he won't have any problems later....

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 24 2008, 06:33 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jul 24 2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Bogdan, this is helpful. I'll let you know how it goes!

-Kiz

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 25 2008, 02:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Cool , if you have any more specific questions later on, just shoot smile.gif

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jul 25 2008, 02:51 PM
He should already have the rhythm aspect down which is a big help smile.gif I'd say it might be very useful to learn songs on bass that he already knows on drums and decide whether he wants to use finger style or pick style early on. This depends totally on the music he likes.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:12 AM