6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
V-picks, By Mrs. V
Guitar1969
Aug 4 2008, 09:57 PM
GMC:er
Should we merge this thread with the other V-pick thread going on in the "Gear" subforum" I just posted to the other one, thinking I was posting to this one?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 6 2008, 09:52 AM
GMC Founder
I have been contacted by the V-pick creators (Vinni and Nancy)- and since there is some discussion around these picks at GMC, I thought we could invite them in to say few words and answer questions!

Also - it seems Vinni and Nancy have lots of knowledge on other topics - so hopefully they will be able to answer a few other questions as well! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 6 2008, 10:12 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 6 2008, 09:52 AM) *
I have been contacted by the V-pick creators (Vinni and Nancy)- and since there is some discussion around these picks at GMC, I thought we could invite them in to say few words and answer questions!

Also - it seems Vinni and Nancy have lots of knowledge on other topics - so hopefully they will be able to answer a few other questions as well! smile.gif

Awesome! It'd be great to chat with them about which is the most suitable pick for each of us biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bondy
Aug 6 2008, 03:43 PM
Learning Roadie
I just got my order today less than a week delivery time from the US top service cant wait to try them out

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 03:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Damn, they are a bit expensive, I must admit, and at my rate of throwing away picks, I think I should just stick to making them myself! biggrin.gif

That said, I might some day check some of these out, they seem to be very neat.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bondy
Aug 6 2008, 04:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Just had a go with the Screamers ohh my god there awesome never thought a pick would change my tone so much liked the feel of it straight away felt a bit thick when i picked it up but started playing bang plays so well iam goona order some more well worth the money.

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 6 2008, 04:52 PM
REVIEW OF DIAMOND

Summary:Diamond is great, nice to have, and worth ponying up an extra $6 to give it a try, but you can live without it if you like and have the medium rounded. Probably a good one to check out if you like the pointed, but are thinking of getting a more rounded one for some purposes.

Like many of you, I have tried a zillion picks. These are definitely my main pick now.

At this time I like the rounded. Don't know if I will ever change to prefer a pointed pick, could happen, but I doubt in the foreseeable future (GMC has taught me to spell, great spell checker).

Anyway, I think the Diamond will appeal to those who like the medium rounded. It is a bit fatter, but I don't really hardly notice that. When I first tried a V Pick I (like others) noticed that they are fatter than most picks. But I have gotten used to that, so if you are happy with the medium rounded's size, you will be happy with the Diamond.

Because it is a little fatter, the bevel is not as sharp. But they compensate for this by making it a little less rounded. But it is not pointed like say, the screamer.

So primarily it is a somewhat different feel than the medium rounded, but kind of the same broad category of pick, if you like the medium rounded, you will like the Diamond, and visa versa.

Is it worth $10? Compared to $4. Well to tell you the truth, I think I like it better, but the difference is not overwhelming I would say, if you like the medium rounded, get one. Or maybe if you like the screamer and want a more rounded (but still a bit pointed) pick for some stuff, get one. The tone might be better on the rounded. But it is a fairly close call I think, after a few days of using the Diamond. The are different, but not that different. They play similar.

I probably like the Diamond better, maybe.

edit: I did the review before comparing them again today. Yes, pretty sure I prefer the Diamond. You know, the medium rounded allows you to be more sloppy. With the Diamond pick technique means more I think. But I do seem to to like it maybe 8.5% more than the rounded today, and yesterday it was only 4.5% with a margin of error of 6%. Today I am pretty convinced that I like it at least slightly better. Maybe not $6 better though, I lose picks.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 6 2008, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 6 2008, 05:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 6 2008, 05:52 PM) *
REVIEW OF DIAMOND

Summary:Diamond is great [...] I lose picks.

Great Review Fkalich!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Nancy Smith
Aug 6 2008, 07:03 PM
Hi there, everyone! I am delighted to join your group. I have corresponded with several of you when you ordered V-Picks, and I appreciate that fact that you have been talking so much about our picks.

Kris has set me up to be able to take any questions that you might have. I can also help anyone who may not know which pick to try........I usually can point you in the right direction after I ask a few questions about your playing style, which type of guitar you play, what guitar pick do you play now, and more.

Vinni, (my husband and the maker of the V-Pick) is a guitar player who looked for 35 years to find a pick that would do what he wanted. He made picks out of every type of material that crossed his path, ....wood, metal, plastics, glass, stones, coins, and much much more......just trying to get some life from his guitar pick. He finally found a material that worked, and then he started experimenting with shapes and thicknesses and the edge. After years and years of work and experimenting, we now have what we think is the best playing guitar pick in the world. We want to share this with everyone. Sure, we have made it into a business, but the passion for music is still there and will always be there for Vinni. It is exciting to see a guitarist play with a V-Pick for the very first time, strum a bit and then look up with wonder in his eyes and ask, "What IS this?!!!" We live for moments like this.

It is not just a business to us. It is our joy to help others get more from their instrument.

Vinni will be registering soon. He is a fantastic musician, loves the guitar with a passion, and loves to talk about tone and sound.

So , if anyone has a question .....ask away. I'll check in later.

Thanks so very much to all of you. I posted thie above on the other thread, but I want to add a few things here about the diamond and losing picks that cost more than brand X's " 24 picks for 3.99".

It is amazing how when you pay $10 for a pick, you no longer lose them as easily. wink.gif

We make a leather pick holder that you put on your keys.......it reminds you to take your pick with you when you are at a friends house or gigging.

The Diamond does have a different sound than the Medium Rounded......also is similar to the Large Rounded too. It is our newest premium pick. 100% hand made. It has faster action than these, a fatter tone, is a Lazer cut pick, hand ground and buffed by Vinni himself. It has the V-Pick logo on it that you don't get with the other picks, and the corners are not rounded or pointed either.....somewhere in-between.

As far as worth and extra 6.00, others here can answer that better than me. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nancy Smith: Aug 6 2008, 07:09 PM

--------------------
Nancy
Mrs. V
www.v-picks.com

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 6 2008, 07:15 PM
Instructor
This is just great! smile.gif
Welcome to you both!

I'm totally addicted to the screamers now, but i'm going to order some of the other models as well soon.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bondy
Aug 6 2008, 07:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Welcome your picks are great i love em

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 6 2008, 07:24 PM
Instructor
Welcome to the site Nancy!! smile.gif

Actually I got my picks this morning
and when I checked my email inbox
there was an email from you.
Then I log in at GMC forum and there you are! biggrin.gif

Picks feel great indeed. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 6 2008, 08:07 PM
Nancy:

Due to all the peer pressure, I would like to try out your picks, but not sure what I should start with, keeping the initial investment down(Just bought a big order of Dunlop Nylons a few weeks ago), but also want to give the V-picks a fair chance - But the thickness is scaring me.

Up until recently, I've always liked thinner picks that flex a bit - initially using Dunlop Nylons .46mm, but more recently using Nylon .88 or .73s, but the tips wear out quick. I also recently started using the Jazz III pointeds(Small red ones) on Electric and seem to like them, but they are soo small and have a hard time keeping a good grip on them - Cannot use them on my Acoustic at all - just doesn't feel right.

I am a somewhat hard picker/strummer which is why I like the flex of the nylons, especially when playing acoustic guitar.

Can you recommend 2 or 3 picks to cover my acoustic and electric playing - I was thinking the Screamer and the medium roundeds might be good for me, but then I notice you also have some thinner picks for acoustic too.

Thanks,

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Nancy Smith
Aug 7 2008, 03:26 AM
Sure! I'm be happy to help.....and maybe this will help a few others that have the same reservations as you have. I have Vinni here...he's playing guitar while I write this.....and I am going to ask him to answer (he will register soon and have his own screen name soon.........we just haven't got that far yet. smile.gif )

Vinni says:
Believe it or not, since you are a hard player, this makes you a perfect candidate for playing with a thick pick. Why??? 9 times our of 10 the reason we play hard is because our thin picks do not deliver the tone that is inside our head. If we play with a thick pick the tone is already there and we don't have to dig for it. This simple fact allows us to play lighter handed. And in time a new habit will be formed.

I would recommend the Medium Rounded and Medium Pointed for you on your electric. Normally I would recommend the Small Pointed for a Jazz III player, but you have already expressed that they seem too small for you.....so I would have you try the Medium Pointed....it is a bit larger and has a bigger tone. The reason I am recommending the Medium Rounded is because the tone is so fat, you may prefer it once you hear it. Plus, this pick is very fast.

We have an Acoustic pick specially designed for the acoustic guitar. It looks, to the eye, very similar to the Medium Pointed, but has a very sharp beveled edge all the way around and delivers a crisper, mid-range scoop sound. Plus, a lot more volume with the same effort used as with your old pick.

Nancy here again. Hope this answers your question. Play the V-Picks side by side with your old picks when you get them. You'll be very happy.

Actually I got my picks this morning
and when I checked my email inbox
there was an email from you.
Then I log in at GMC forum and there you are! biggrin.gif

Picks feel great indeed. smile.gif

Ha ha!! I bombarded you, it sounds like.

Glad you like the picks. We really want our customers to be happy.

This post has been edited by Nancy Smith: Aug 7 2008, 03:29 AM

--------------------
Nancy
Mrs. V
www.v-picks.com

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 7 2008, 04:02 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Nancy - It's Ben Ahrberg...I just placed another order a few days ago for a medium rounded and a Slide! Guys, the slide sounds amazing!! I couldn't believe how fast the items came to me also...literally two days after I ordered!

I had one question though, that seems to be only me! I have read a lot of other posts about the V-picks and seem to be the only one with this problem. When I play with the Screamer, I seem to be getting a lot of what sounds just like fret buzz when I pick the string for a second time. Obviously this does not happen when I pick the string for a single note, but if I pick a few notes in a row on the same string, there seems to be a lot of vibration from the string that vibrates on the pick for a split second before I strike the string again. It seems menial, but it is a noticable sound. Maybe I am not holding it correctly...don't know. It is a little distracting I have to say.

Besides that I love the feel of them!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Nancy Smith
Aug 7 2008, 04:28 AM
Hi, this is Vinni Smith.

I think this issue you are referring to can be corrected with pick angle. It is common to get some pick/string noise, especially if you are not used to playing with thick picks. There is a video on our website that deals with this exquisite little inconvience.

Hope this helps.

Vinni

--------------------
Nancy
Mrs. V
www.v-picks.com

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Aug 7 2008, 04:32 AM
I ordered a Screamer and Shredder Lite (normal shredder seemed a bit too thick for me) recently, I intended to email you after I tried them but now I can just tell you here XD.

Can't wait to try them outc

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Aug 7 2008, 04:36 AM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 7 2008, 05:02 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Nancy Smith @ Aug 6 2008, 11:28 PM) *
Hi, this is Vinni Smith.

I think this issue you are referring to can be corrected with pick angle. It is common to get some pick/string noise, especially if you are not used to playing with thick picks. There is a video on our website that deals with this exquisite little inconvience.

Hope this helps.

Vinni

Thanks Vinni, I'll check it out!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 7 2008, 07:17 AM
Screamer.. = Best pick in the world..

Very reasonable price too.. and the thickness is the best guys.. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Aug 7 2008, 07:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hmmm reading up more and more on the V-Picks on this forum makes it just impossible to not order a couple to try them out, which I did 5 min ago tongue.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:25 PM