Multieffects Or Single Pedal?
SLASH91
Nov 11 2007, 08:15 AM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about buying a new effects system, but I can't decide whether or not to buy a POD X3 or a Digitech Distortion Factory. I'd like to be able to play some covers of some songs, but I need to know if I could probably get the same sound that I could get with the Pod with just the single pedal. Thanks smile.gif

Yeah, 400th post cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Nov 11 2007, 11:04 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 11 2007, 08:25 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 11 2007, 02:15 AM) *
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about buying a new effects system, but I can't decide whether or not to buy a POD X3 or a Digitech Distortion Factory. I'd like to be able to play some covers of some songs, but I need to know if I could probably get the same sound that I could get with the Pod with just the single pedal. Thanks smile.gif

I would guess, that it depends on what type of sounds you are looking for. If you are only needing distortion, than the single pedal will be fine. If you want delay, chorus, reverb...etc, you'll need a multi-fx like the POD. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 11 2007, 08:30 AM
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 11 2007, 01:25 AM) *
I would guess, that it depends on what type of sounds you are looking for. If you are only needing distortion, than the single pedal will be fine. If you want delay, chorus, reverb...etc, you'll need a multi-fx like the POD. smile.gif

Yeah, I guess if I was just doing covers metal bands, that would work, 'cause my amp does have a good clean channel that sounds "chorusy" enough. Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 11 2007, 08:45 AM
If you think you're going to use a lot of effects, then it's probably better to go with the multi-effects. Analog is always going to work and sound better, in my opinion, but having one of these save a lot of money and space...

If you're only going to use a few effects, for example, just distortion/overdrive, reverb, delay, chorus, that kind of thing, you're probably better off just getting a few pedals. They'll be a lot easier to use and will probably sound better than digital effects.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Nov 11 2007, 01:31 PM
Just from my personal experience. The tones produced from my favorite artists are built off of several individual effects pedals and one or more amps at once. Multi-effects are GREAT for discovering your sound, but taking it to the professional level often requires tone specific gear.

Ask anyone that has used a vintage analog Chorus pedal versus the digital chorus built into a multi-effects processor. 99% of the time they don't even compare. Again, it's all relative to perspective. smile.gif

Hardtail

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Nov 11 2007, 01:32 PM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Nov 11 2007, 04:27 PM
I'd echo hardtail's comment - if you're after an all-in-one solution with a wide range of roughly-right sounds, go the multi-FX unit. If you are after a selection of specific sounds, go for the individual units. I've replaced my Pod Live XT with a handful of specific effect units and won't go back to the Pod now.

I also found that the Pod was a lot more work than it should have been, with a lot of effort going into finding (downloading often enough) tons of patch files before I found what I was looking for. It was also better suited to home recording than live performance - the PC-input features are excellent for home recordings.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
Jorge
Nov 12 2007, 12:26 AM
to buy a multiefex or any efex proccesor, the important is know the multiefex or single pedal, there is a profesional guitars that they use single pedals, but the amp it is an amplifier of high quality, and the whole accompaniment is also of high quality, if you have a good amp, I thing that you can buy a single pedal, mainly if it is distortion, I like the Boss DS-1, and the processor of effects they send strong sign, and some amp they don't resist that sign and they saturate is the case for GT model.

JOrge González
Caracas

Gear
Jacson Custom Dinky Reu
Marshall MG 100 dfx amp
Fender FM 210R amp
BOSS GT-6 guitar effects proccesor

--------------------
JRockGonzalez
Caracas

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 12 2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I'm leaning towards the single effects, cause I do already have a multieffects pedal, and I feel as if I have already figured out all of the different sounds. Thanks once again smile.gif

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:53 PM