Practicing Vs Composing
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 14 2011, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! This topic is about how we divide our time for music and guitar. Both practising & composing could take lots of hours. It could take me 5 hours or maybe some days to write and record a new song demo.

How do you divide your time? Do you practice guitar during your composing periods?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 14 2011, 05:40 PM
Instructor
I usually don't practice while I'm recording something unless it's needed! sometimes I want to nail a fast passage or something like that, then I need to spend an hour or so to get it right, to get my muscles memory ready for it.

But usually it's two different things

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 14 2011, 06:52 PM
Instructor
Well, composing is one form of evolving our style/yourself as musicians, it's a learning process as well. Composing requires lots of time that is true. I find myself spending hours and hours in Nuendo projects, and the results are not always great, it's trial & error, it depends on motivation, time of day..

On the other hand, practice is super efficient. We can be sure that after couple of hours of practice, our skills will be increased by a notch. But this makes us better players technically, doesn't make our songs better.

For a successful musician, it's important to keep things in balance. Good skills are important, but most important thing is creating a name for ourselves on the scene with some quality hits.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2011, 11:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 14 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Well, composing is one form of evolving our style/yourself as musicians, it's a learning process as well. Composing requires lots of time that is true. I find myself spending hours and hours in Nuendo projects, and the results are not always great, it's trial & error, it depends on motivation, time of day..

On the other hand, practice is super efficient. We can be sure that after couple of hours of practice, our skills will be increased by a notch. But this makes us better players technically, doesn't make our songs better.

For a successful musician, it's important to keep things in balance. Good skills are important, but most important thing is creating a name for ourselves on the scene with some quality hits.

Perfectly summarized mate! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2011, 08:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 14 2011, 02:52 PM) *

Excellent post! Can't agree more! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 15 2011, 10:17 PM
Instructor
Well said mate !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:00 AM