Pick Slipping When Tremolo Picking
ConnorGilks
Jun 5 2013, 02:50 AM
GMC:er
I'm having trouble with my pick moving around when I'm trem picking. My trem picking is tight and accurate, but after a short period of time I find the pick has moved far into my hand and I have less and less of the tip sticking out. I'm using the Dunlop Max-Grip Jazz III's.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to grip the pick too hard because that just stiffens up my whole arm and to me feels like too much unnecessary tension.

EDIT: Here's a video of me demonstrating the problem. Forgive the poor trem picking example, but what's important to note is the pick's position before I play, and the pick's position after I stop playing. Give the video a minute to process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk4JqJDxhBQ

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ConnorGilks: Jun 5 2013, 03:01 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 5 2013, 03:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
mine slips to, I have to actually practice specifically moving it back to my prefered grip( in the middle of the riff) , of course I can't let it get to far or I can't bring it back

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jun 5 2013, 03:14 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 5 2013, 02:06 AM) *
mine slips to, I have to actually practice specifically moving it back to my prefered grip( in the middle of the riff) , of course I can't let it get to far or I can't bring it back

That's basically where I'm at right now. It's a pain though, there's gotta be a better way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 5 2013, 03:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jun 5 2013, 03:14 AM) *
That's basically where I'm at right now. It's a pain though, there's gotta be a better way.
I am not so sure, paul gilbert i always doing examples of moving the pick while playing to get different tones, I am almost wondering if it is just another tool that I need to be proficient at

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jun 5 2013, 03:34 AM
Could be, it's just never something I hear guys like Michael Keene or Alex Wade talk about, at all, you know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2013, 09:57 AM
Instructor
When picking, I always try to have a firm grip on the pick, but always keeping my wrist loose in a controlled way. It's all about learning to understand how your body reacts to the tension. Practice slowly and try to focus on these things: firm grip, loose wrist!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2013, 09:19 PM
The easy fix is to get one of VON HOTCH's custom picks that have a big hold cut out of the middle. Your finger sinks in to the hole and wont slip out even with minimal pressure smile.gif

Attached Image

Shy of that your next best option is to train your fingers to add just slightly more pressure so your picks don't slip.

Todd

QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jun 4 2013, 09:50 PM) *
I'm having trouble with my pick moving around when I'm trem picking. My trem picking is tight and accurate, but after a short period of time I find the pick has moved far into my hand and I have less and less of the tip sticking out. I'm using the Dunlop Max-Grip Jazz III's.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to grip the pick too hard because that just stiffens up my whole arm and to me feels like too much unnecessary tension.

EDIT: Here's a video of me demonstrating the problem. Forgive the poor trem picking example, but what's important to note is the pick's position before I play, and the pick's position after I stop playing. Give the video a minute to process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk4JqJDxhBQ

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2013, 12:11 PM
Instructor
I was going to talk about a thing or two regarding the grip, but Todd beat me to it! Yes, it is important to have a pick with a serious grip smile.gif VonHotch's picks look tremendously well fit for the job indeed!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 15 2013, 12:54 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 5 2013, 08:57 AM) *
When picking, I always try to have a firm grip on the pick, but always keeping my wrist loose in a controlled way. It's all about learning to understand how your body reacts to the tension. Practice slowly and try to focus on these things: firm grip, loose wrist!

+1 and also try a pick that is although hard like a jazzIII but has a little rounder tip, some people (I guess its about the angle they like) prefers this although it might have a little bit more "scratch" sound to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 15 2013, 06:22 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Sorry to go off topic but I was confused about why double , triple or quad picking is referred to as tremolo picking since it seems to have nothing in common with a tremolo at all. unsure.gif I was thinking someone was having problems holding their pick while using a floyd or something, such as picking notes while depressing and releasing the tremolo.

+Quote Post
Shaolin
Jun 15 2013, 06:50 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 5 2013, 02:06 AM) *

I used to have the same problem all the time. Holding it very loose or very tight didn't make any difference at all, even which pick I used didn't really matter. When I started to relax my picking hand much more I noticed that there's a big difference in the power I use between downstrokes and upstrokes. And even the angles at which my pick hit the string were totally different. So with every downstroke the pick slipped a little bit down my thumb and towards my palm.

When I started to pay more attention on the upstrokes, making them completely even with the downstrokes in terms of power, angle, sound and being as relaxed as possible, the slipping stopped very quickly.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2013, 07:08 PM
Instructor
I think that these type of picks could also help:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 16 2013, 07:05 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I don't use grips just cause to me it felt weird but I'm sure it dosnt bother other I use dunlop sharps 1.14 and always hold them like this except on sweeps I change my grip slightly.
Also on fast 16th's I bring all my fingers in like I'm making a fist. And when I'm soloing or playing chords I loosin up my hand and spread out my fingers a bit. I started doing this just recently, and tried to get used to playing this way by concentrating and being aware how my picking hand is during certain parts of what I'm playing, now I move back in forth without any thought and my pick never slips.

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 16 2013, 09:34 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2013, 08:40 PM
Good point wink.gif Technically, these are very different things, but in "Guitar Shorthand" the term is used loosely and generally applies to quick bits of picking smile.gif I usually just think "fast picking" when I see the term, where as Double/Quad picking is precision work and synchs each strike to a given note, "trem picking" typically means picking very fast and not always chaining each strike to a given note, but rather a group of possible notes smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 15 2013, 01:22 PM) *
Sorry to go off topic but I was confused about why double , triple or quad picking is referred to as tremolo picking since it seems to have nothing in common with a tremolo at all. unsure.gif I was thinking someone was having problems holding their pick while using a floyd or something, such as picking notes while depressing and releasing the tremolo.

+Quote Post
Blue Willy
Jun 18 2013, 02:55 AM
I don't currently use a flatpick but many years ago I played in an instrumental surf guitar band and most of the tunes required fast tremolo flat picking. I used Fender Extra Heavy picks since when I used lighter gauges I would lose accuracy and the picks would break or the tips would wear down requiring changing picks often. We played on hot sweaty stages and keeping a grip on the pick was definitely a problem. I explained my problem at the local music store which was run by an older guitar player and he handed me some violin bow rosin and told me to dry my fingers well and rub it on. He said to treat my picks as well. It worked like a charm. In the present era there is a product sold in music stores called Gorilla Snot which is intended to solve the slippery pick problem. I have never had occasion to use it but it is certainly worth a try. HTH.

This post has been edited by Blue Willy: Jun 18 2013, 02:56 AM

--------------------
Mike

"The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Inductee in the Blues Hall of Fame, March 14, 2012.

Mike-Wilhelm.com
YouTube: Michael Ray Wilhelm, Blusician, guitar & vocal

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 18 2013, 08:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blue Willy @ Jun 18 2013, 01:55 AM) *
I don't currently use a flatpick but many years ago I played in an instrumental surf guitar band and most of the tunes required fast tremolo flat picking. I used Fender Extra Heavy picks since when I used lighter gauges I would lose accuracy and the picks would break or the tips would wear down requiring changing picks often. We played on hot sweaty stages and keeping a grip on the pick was definitely a problem. I explained my problem at the local music store which was run by an older guitar player and he handed me some violin bow rosin and told me to dry my fingers well and rub it on. He said to treat my picks as well. It worked like a charm. In the present era there is a product sold in music stores called Gorilla Snot which is intended to solve the slippery pick problem. I have never had occasion to use it but it is certainly worth a try. HTH.

Gorilla Snot laugh.gif Definitely gotta write this one down biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 AM