> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 74 75 76 77 78 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 22 2018, 04:49 PM
Instructor
If you feel it, go for it mate! Let's go for that solo here. Please share here the version that you'll learn and tell me how you'll approach to it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 22 2018, 08:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Sorry Gab, I hadn't heard it for years and my memory got mixed up. I don't think I can manage the solo but what I thought was the solo is actually the intro which after hearing it again I think has too much of an effect (tremolo I think) on it for me at the moment. It's worse than McCartney's wobbly notes laugh.gif

In case you don't know it, here it is. He wrote it about the birth of his daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ALdt53-_4

How about this one? The solo starts at 1:55 or just click here>>>> https://youtu.be/mEhkM3X_teQ?t=114

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhkM3X_teQ

I'll start by getting the 1st note by looping it in my DAW, then I'll listen to groups of 4 or five notes and try to get them right without having them playing (I'm hoping this will improve my note memory), then I'll replay and play along to check and adjust. Does this sound a good approach?

For fun memories, I was 9 years old and had all of the clothing that these blokes are wearing, I was a fan, for a few months laugh.gif

I've put something in the backing track thread.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 22 2018, 09:51 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2018, 04:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 22 2018, 04:41 PM) *
I'll start by getting the 1st note by looping it in my DAW, then I'll listen to groups of 4 or five notes and try to get them right without having them playing (I'm hoping this will improve my note memory), then I'll replay and play along to check and adjust. Does this sound a good approach?

For fun memories, I was 9 years old and had all of the clothing that these blokes are wearing, I was a fan, for a few months laugh.gif

I've put something in the backing track thread.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil, nice choice! I've never heard the song but I like it, and the solo is suitable to continue with your ear training. Let's go for it.

Regarding Thin Lizzy, please recommend me an album, I've never been into them.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2018, 09:39 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll start the transcription on Sunday. UPDATE: See bottom of page wink.gif Did you notice the unusual pickups on that Strat? And the TWO pickup selectors?

By the way, that was from an old music program that made many of the bands mime to a track they recorded in the studio so that it wasn't exactly like the single that had been released. It was on the BBC and called Top Of The Pops, it ran for years with all of the top BBC dj's introducing. The theme tune was the guitar riff for Whole Lotta Love. I've put a few of Thin Lizzy's appearances at the end. Watch out for the audience's dodgy dancing wink.gif

I've also put a track on that Phil Lynott did with Gary Moore that you may not know about.

There is a bonus section too for when you get time to watch them wink.gif

Allow me to introduce Thin Lizzy.
Scott Gorham from Black Star Riders was a long-term guitarist with them wink.gif Gary Moore made a few albums with them too wink.gif

Mate, listening to these again for the first time in a long time, we need some Thin Lizzy lessons on GMC, some of the guitar work is incredible.

Probably their three finest albums plus the live one. ENJOY cool.gif I know you're not a cover band but some of these songs would be good to throw into your set for a bit of fun. Like Waiting For An Alibi and Got To Give It Up from Black Rose, The Boys Are Back In Town from Jailbreak and killer Without A Cause from Bad Reputation. I really hope you enjoy these and get some inspiration from them.

Please let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP3AzliA3Ts

1 Do Anything You Want To
2 Toughest Street In Town
3 S & M
4 Waiting For An Alibi
5 Sarah
6 Got To Give It Up
7 Get Out Of Here
8 With Love
9 Róisín Dubh (Black Rose) A Rock Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYHIljwzVfo

1 Jailbreak
2 Angel From The Coast
3 Running Back
4 Romeo And The Lonely Girl
5 Warriors
6 The Boys Are Back In Town
7 Fight Or Fall
8 Cowboy Song
9 Emerald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5g3E9rEAs

1 Soldier Of Fortune
2 Bad Reputation
3 Opium Trail
4 Southbound
5 Dancing In The Moonlight
6 Killer Without A Cause
7 Downtown Sundown
8 That Woman's Gonna Break Your Heart
9 Dear Lord

What an iconic album cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCf-ApDnV18

1 Jailbreak
2 Emerald
3 Southbound
4 Rosalie / Cowgirl's Song
5 Dancing In The Moonlight (It's Caught Me In Its Spotlight)
6 Massacre
7 Still In Love With You
8 Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
9 Cowboy Song
10 The Boys Are Back In Town
11 Don't Believe A Word
12 Warrior
13 Are You Ready
14 Suicide
15 Sha La La
16 Baby Drives Me Crazy
17 The Rocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATR4HWIjnQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quyB8PMTD3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOB8995RNAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaFatzaag0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt06PFWkJ1I

BONUS SECTION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvUR9Z7SbNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVHpbAInD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaCOB4pkhHU

THERE IS NO PART THREE FOR SOME REASON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgJl3T59OA

Only had a few minutes tonight, today didn't go as planned so had a quick go at the first few notes of the Bay City Rollers solo.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bbb-take-1

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 25 2018, 09:22 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 26 2018, 04:13 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks the amazing post.

I'm already listening to the first album that you've shared and the first song blown my mind! The solo is a bomb, the overall guitar work is amazing. I'll see if I can go for a lesson soon (after listening to all those albums).

Great to see you working on that solo, it's going well, keep going!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 23 2018, 05:39 PM) *
Did you notice the unusual pickups on that Strat? And the TWO pickup selectors?

I don't understand what you mean... what are you talking about?

PS; The second song of the album is very Guns and Roses!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 26 2018, 10:18 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 26 2018, 03:13 AM) *
Hi Phil, thanks the amazing post.

I'm already listening to the first album that you've shared and the first song blown my mind! The solo is a bomb, the overall guitar work is amazing. I'll see if I can go for a lesson soon (after listening to all those albums).

Great to see you working on that solo, it's going well, keep going!

I don't understand what you mean... what are you talking about?

PS; The second song of the album is very Guns and Roses!

Thanks Gab,

Glad you are discovering Thin Lizzy cool.gif

Regarding the Strat. Have a look at the white Strat that the solo is being "played" on in the Bay City Rollers video wink.gif

I think every rock band from 1980 onwards got inspired by Thin Lizzy. As you are a big G&R fan, I bet you loved discovering a band from the 70s that had material like G&R wink.gif

Waiting for an Alibi is one of my favourite tracks cool.gif

Ear training solo
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bbb-take-2

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 26 2018, 08:58 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2018, 02:00 AM
Instructor
Good job Phil! The only thing that is not precise is that bend at 00:09, but maybe it's a technique issue, not ear thing. The other parts are ok!

And yes, I knew Thin Lizzy by name and some songs, because Guns and roses used to say that they were one of their influences, but I've never get into their full albums. It's a nice feeling when you listen to songs from legendary bands like this for the first time. Imagine that you hear "Stairway to heaven" or any other hymn by LZ, for the first time, it must be magic...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 27 2018, 01:42 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yeah I knew the bend wasn't right but I couldn't get it right. I have to play a note on the 11th fret then jump to the next string and do the bend, it's a bit tricky for me, I'll see it through this week as I am away Friday to Monday. Looking forward to my Carbonada unless I change my mind on the night and go for something else wink.gif

I know what you mean about "discovering" legends. I was blown away when I first found Robert Johnson, listening to his songs, hearing lines from Led Zeppelin's songs, and things like Sweet Home Chicago, and Crossroads. I tell you , I was playing to everyone that I thought didn't know about the Grandfather of rock and blues wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2018, 12:29 AM
Instructor
Enjoy your Carbonada! If possible ask for one of these to start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provoleta

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 28 2018, 12:24 PM
Thanks Gab,

Thinking of having the Anti-Cu-Chos as Provoleta not on the menu. wink.gif

What is the joke here?

"TAPA DE CUADRIL, £15.95 220G, £16.95 260G
This signature dish is cut from the top of the rump. Served the Brazilian way (don't tell the Argentines), its thinly sliced and ash grilled so it melts in your mouth."

Cheers

BREAD, £3.75
Selection of fresh breads & chimichurri butter.
HUMMUS & CRISP BREADS, £3.95
With aubergine caviar, chilli & nuts.
OLIVES PIQUANTE, £3.75
BEEF CAU-PACCIO, £6.95
Rump steak, green chimichurri, cherry and sunblush tomatoes.
SHRIMP CHICHARRON, £6.95
Crispy fried shrimp, ají amarillo sauce, red jalapeño, spring onion and coriander cress.
CROQUETTES, 3 FOR £6.25
The classic Spanish favourite. - Smoked haddock - Porcini mushroom & black truffle - Ham hock & manchego
SPICED SWEET POTATO SOUP, £5.25
Fennel seed, ají molido, crème fraîche, crisped bread flakes and coriander cress.
ANTI-CU-CHOS (SKEWERS),, £6.75 EACH
Cooked on every street corner in Buenos Aires. • Chipotle chicken with guacamole • Halloumi and aubergine, brushed with truffle honey
FLATBREADS, £6.25 EACH
Our nod to the Buenos Aires love of pizza. So good, the chef changes it daily.
EMPANADAS, CHOOSE ANY TWO FOR £7.50
The classic Argentinian filled mini pasty. - Spicy beef - Spanish chorizo & cream cheese - Spinach, ricotta & date - Spicy creamed corn & Taleggio cheese
FISH TACOS, £6.95
Crispy battered pollock, chipotle mayo, peppers, pico de gallo and coriander.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2018, 02:59 PM
Instructor
There isn't such a "brazilian way", don't believe them! Asado and "Tapa de cuadril" are from Argentina. What's the brazilian way?? I've been at Brazil a few times and there isn't a different way of serving meat there. biggrin.gif

If I were you, I would get one of these too: EMPANADAS, CHOOSE ANY TWO FOR £7.50
The classic Argentinian filled mini pasty. - Spicy beef - Spanish chorizo & cream cheese - Spinach, ricotta & date - Spicy creamed corn & Taleggio cheese

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 28 2018, 09:13 PM
Interesting Gab,

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 28 2018, 01:59 PM) *
There isn't such a "brazilian way", don't believe them! Asado and "Tapa de cuadril" are from Argentina. What's the brazilian way?? I've been at Brazil a few times and there isn't a different way of serving meat there. biggrin.gif

I will email them and ask them because "My friend was over from Argentina and we asked the waitress and she couldn't explain" wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 28 2018, 01:59 PM) *
If I were you, I would get one of these too: EMPANADAS, CHOOSE ANY TWO FOR £7.50

I will have to pick one or the or the Anti-Cu-Chos not both, my wife isn't a big eater and she never has starters wink.gif

I think I have the pitch correct or very close on the bend now but the speed of the bend is not correct.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bbb-take-3

If it's ok with you I think we can call it a "pass" do you?

I think it's time for the next one, I'll have a look tomorrow, unless you can suggest something one a similar or slightly trickier lever as the Bay City Rollers one.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2018, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Well, my recommendation is to go for two starters and one Carbonada, everything to share. But that's what I would do with my girl. biggrin.gif Our starters are so good, but sometimes you eat too much before the main plate. Sometimes we take away part of the things that we ordered... laugh.gif

The recording defintely passed! Good job mate, let's move forward!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2018, 08:47 PM
Thanks Gab,

Looking for a new solo now.

CAU was great but expensive and the first time in England that I have ever been imposed a 10% gratuity. My wife isn't experimental with food so she had a small sirloin steak, she did say it was "the best". I had the Empanadas to start, a spicy beef one and a chorizo and cream cheese one, both were beautiful, I then had the Carbonada and a side of roast pumpkin. This was beautiful. The portions weren't very big but I was satisfied, I could have eaten more, probably in Argentina you get twice as much. The cost was £84 that was with two small beers £4.50 each, and a bottle of wine £28. There was also an offer on the night of 25% off food. In Argentinian Pesos it works out at 2381 Pesos. How does that compare with your country?

Cheers back into playing again tomorrow. Check out my busker post in the chill out section wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2018, 01:51 AM
Instructor
Nice!! I'm happy to know that you had a great time!! smile.gif

In Argentina prices are very different depending on where you go, but for a similar order, the price here would be around argentinian pesos: $1000 / $1500. That amount that you've paid costs on top level places, like five stars hotels or things like that.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 3 2018, 09:01 PM
Yeah I reckon in Argentina the price would be half and the portion would be double wink.gif Glad I tried it though, Also, something we're not used to here in the UK, 10% was automatically added to the bill, that's considered bad here, we tip if everything is good, if you went there on a bad day with a grumpy waiter the gratuity would still be added.

Anyway, how about the intro to this song for me to transcribe next? Obviously I won't be watching him play it smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HMAVU1k7kg

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2018, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Yeah, and there are some places where it's even cheaper, the places are not what I would call nice, but the meal is excellent. Today I've seen a place that said $400 for two persons. ohmy.gif

Regarding tip, I've seen some places at NYC where it's also included. It's not fair.

The intro for that song is cool to learn, go for it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 4 2018, 09:05 PM
There are places in London that charge £3000+ for a bottle Crystal champagne ohmy.gif Crazy world. I think the problem with CAU is that it is a big corporate chain with branches in most major cities. I need to look for an independant Argentinian restaurant run by a family that moved to the UK to set up a business. That is my next move, then I'm moving to Beunos Aires wink.gif

Re the new transcription,I'm on it Gab, found something amazing tonight, for me anyway. Maybe it indicates something about my ear. The E on the G string 9th fret sounds different to the E on the B string 5th fret. The B string notes sound more like the recording that the G string notes. Not so much with finger picking but with a plectrum they do, to me anyway. Is this right or is my guitar doing something it shouldn't? It is in tune. It is more noticeable when I split the coils than when I have humbuckers on.

For some reason, the first 5 notes were easy to get, the next two or three I had to really hunt around the neck, I think I have them but they don't sound spot on, maybe some micro bend or possibly the, dare I say it, the guitar recorded had tuning issues or maybe it's just the toanl quality of the guitar putting my ears off. I'll stick at it, got to get over the hurdles to get further along wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
Tonight I finally got those notes. This one is really hard for some reason. I notice that his guitar doesn't seem to have much bass. I watch the video quickly trying no to remember where his fingers go, which is hard to see anyway, but when he's on the wound strings it doesn't sound very deep. I need to match my tone a little better I think. It seems to be putting my ears off.

This is easily the hardest yet and I never had Paul Weller down as a "player" rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 5 2018, 09:06 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 6 2018, 08:22 PM
Hope you're enjoying your tour Gab,

Please don't miss the post above wink.gif

Doing this transcription has made me appreciate Paul Weller more than ever. You might be interested in this, it's not about his music but about music that inspires him. You may get some inspiration from these albums wink.gif

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hwidivtLU

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 9 2018, 08:05 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the inspiring video. Now I want to check all those albums. I'll do it.

About the solo, yes, it's not easy, it's full of performance details so take your time to make it sound convincing. There are many bends, slides, and vibrato that make it sound very special.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 74 75 76 77 78 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:27 AM