Need Help With Improvising/phrasing
megadeth1117
Sep 9 2007, 10:36 AM
GMC:er
now that i know how to speed pick and stuff like that, i don't know what to do with it

thanks in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 9 2007, 11:27 AM
Check other peoples licks out. Try to create your own. Mess around with it. Since there is no rules. You cant do anything wrong!! Improvising comes from you, we can only really say. Practice to a backing track, and mess aroudn with different scales and licks. Phrasing also comes with practice. Just check otu some other people and how they do there speed runs. Whats most common, and whats original and go fgrom there man!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Sep 9 2007, 12:12 PM
maybe try starting out with some simple bending

+Quote Post
No Payne No Gain
Sep 9 2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, I don't know what I'm doin either, but it seems that you only get better by listening to types of music and coming up with your own variations. Just sitting down and playing with a beat or metronome and sounding like crap at first, but just keepin on moving your fingers coming up with whatever you can find. It's about practice, patience and tenacity. We all are learnin together, no one has a straight answer,
I don't think it would be helpful for someone to tell you exactly what to do. Mix up bends, harmonics with the speed picking, legato...so forth, throw it all in.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 9 2007, 02:28 PM
try to listen to the music in you head and play it.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 9 2007, 05:56 PM
Lets go fishing!
Nearly all of my improvising tricks have come from watching kris's video series. Today i am very at home improvising on any pentatonic scale thanks to the great material here.

I practiced every day improvising to backing tracks (try freelicks.net). First i started off sliding between all the boxes in key. Then i slowly started to add licks over the scales that i had seen others do!

In no time you will be pulling off full tone bends, vibrato and licks just like a pro!

try the three pentatonics lessons here; http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/101-video-lessons-2.htm

As mentioned there is no rule, but try bends and vibrato in places, also maybe try adding some blues style licks - theres a whole bunch of those on GMC also.

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Sep 9 2007, 05:58 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 9 2007, 08:40 PM
There is one thing that is atleast as important as practicing exercises. That is improvising/jamming alot too.

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 9 2007, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 9 2007, 09:35 PM
Instructor
Sequencing will also help you in your own soloing so check out my alternate picking lessons from 1 to 4 and also Ionian Scale Boxes to get the idea of sequencing smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Sep 10 2007, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 9 2007, 04:35 PM) *
Sequencing will also help you in your own soloing so check out my alternate picking lessons from 1 to 4 and also Ionian Scale Boxes to get the idea of sequencing smile.gif

i love your alt picking videos, great way of improvising fast licks

i have watched kris lessons but i forgot the exercises so I will rewatch them

once again, thanks for everyones help

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:30 PM