2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Who Are You?
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2013, 04:12 PM
Instructor
I discovered a book some time ago called "The New Rockstar Philosophy" which I think is very good. I have read it but I started again now writing down the most important items to be applied to my band and me.

The first chapter talks about "Who are you?". It says that every artist of the 20° century had a clear definition of who they are and were able to communicate to their fans. So the book suggest you to do a list with your 5 all-time top artists, but the idea is to remember why you pick up and instrument, started singing or composing, going to your roots.

The n you have to analyse this list, ask yourself why each artist is on that list. Every artist on that list is connected with you so tells something about you and what you should strive for in impacting others with your music.

I decided to do my list, based on those artist that were in my early musical days. I discovered lots of amazing and inspiring musicians then, but this were the first that planted the seed.

Not in this specific order:

1. Ramones
2. Gun's & Roses
3. Nirvana
4. Rolling Stones
5. Iron Maiden

What's your list?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 10 2013, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
My list of top 5 artists are constantly changing, but if we take in mind the Roots, here are the some constant ones..

Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Symphony X

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 10 2013, 04:31 PM
Theory Instructor
Great idea! Hard to nail it down to 5, but here goes in no particular order.

1. Wes Montgomery
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan
3. Lenny Breau
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Pink Floyd

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2013, 04:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Apr 10 2013, 12:20 PM) *
My list of top 5 artists are constantly changing, but if we take in mind the Roots, here are the some constant ones..

Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Symphony X

yeah, mine also has changed a lot through the years, but the idea here is going to the roots.

QUOTE (The Professor @ Apr 10 2013, 12:31 PM) *
Great idea! Hard to nail it down to 5, but here goes in no particular order.

1. Wes Montgomery
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan
3. Lenny Breau
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Pink Floyd

Interesting list!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 10 2013, 07:07 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
My earliest impressions:

1. The Doors- My Dad tells me some of my first words was pointing to a Doors album cover and saying " Doors".

2. Led Zeppelin- around age 6 I started begging for a guitar for X-mas. I was convinced that Jimmy Page was the "best guitarist in the world". For some reason I got a toy trumpet for x-mas instead. rolleyes.gif

3. Scorpions- This band and Judas Priest was my introduction to hard and heavy music. I had a babysitter who would bring over Dio, Ozzy, and Priest records. biggrin.gif I was infatuated with the album covers even more than the music and it left a permanent impression.

4. Metallica- got my first string instrument around age 13. Played bass and started a band with some friends. We had big plans for the future but only got around to playing some Metallica songs. tongue.gif

5. King Diamond- Probably gave me my first vision of how I'd like to eventually play riffs and solos. It lead me to seek out other solo guitarists, etc.

I explore different music constantly but these are my deep-seated roots that started the musical journey. wink.gif

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Apr 10 2013, 07:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2013, 07:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 10 2013, 03:07 PM) *
My earliest impressions:

1. The Doors- My Dad tells me some of my first words was pointing to a Doors album cover and saying " Doors".

2. Led Zeppelin- around age 6 I started begging for a guitar for X-mas. I was convinced that Jimmy Page was the "best guitarist in the world". For some reason I got a toy trumpet for x-mas instead. rolleyes.gif

3. Scorpions- This band and Judas Priest was my introduction to hard and heavy music. I had a babysitter who would bring over Dio, Ozzy, and Priest records. biggrin.gif I was infatuated with the album covers even more than the music and it left a permanent impression.

4. Metallica- got my first string instrument around age 13. Played bass and started a band with some friends. We had big plans for the future but only got around to playing some Metallica songs. tongue.gif

5. King Diamond- Probably gave me my first vision of how I'd like to eventually play riffs and solos. It lead me to seek out other solo guitarists, etc.

I explore different music constantly but these are my deep-seated roots that started the musical journey. wink.gif

Cool! I feel that I know much more about you now that you shared this list. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Apr 10 2013, 08:23 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
My list would be
1) Opeth
2) Dream Theater
3) Pink Floyd
4) Metallica (before and including Black Album, haven't listened to anything after Reload)
5) John Williams (not the composer for soundtracks but the Australian classical guitar player)

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Apr 10 2013, 09:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
#1. Guns N Roses - The song You Could Be Mine in particular. Slash and that red BC Rich in the video grabbed me and then that coupled with Terminator 2 is what first made me want to play the guitar. Use Your Illusion 2 was the first CD I ever got. My mom was hesitant because of the parental advisory sticker but I promised her I wouldn't listen to the dirty songs. cool.gif

#2. Hellecasters (& my guitar teacher) - Kind of a weird choice but the guy I took lessons from for my first year of playing was a blues/country guy and he introduced me to the Hellecasters, as well as the 1-4-5 blues progression. I of course told him I was there basically because I wanted to be like Slash and he thought I could use some mind-opening about guitar playing so he gave me their first CD and they have been one of my favorites ever since. This was a big moment in my guitar playing career. Side note, my teacher's name was Larry McCabe who used to write theory books for Mel Bay. I haven't seen a Mel Bay book in years but some of the older guys might remember these.

#3. Pink Floyd - I saw the Pulse VHS tape and was blown away by the music coupled with the visuals. I started really paying attention to Gilmour's playing and he quickly became one of my favorites and still is now. Maybe even my favorite.

After these 3 the list gets pretty cloudy. These were my 3 main influences. For the last two, I'll mention a couple that I listen to a lot now and hope to get near them someday. I could list about 50 names here but I'll go with the main two that jump out at me.

#4 Vinnie Moore

#5 Joe Bonamassa

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2013, 09:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Apr 10 2013, 05:16 PM) *
#1. Guns N Roses - The song You Could Be Mine in particular. Slash and that red BC Rich in the video grabbed me and then that coupled with Terminator 2 is what first made me want to play the guitar. Use Your Illusion 2 was the first CD I ever got. My mom was hesitant because of the parental advisory sticker but I promised her I wouldn't listen to the dirty songs. cool.gif

My first cd was "Use Your Illusion I" smile.gif and the second one was "Mondo Bizarro" by The Ramones.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Apr 10 2013, 10:52 PM
1 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
2 - Morbid Angel
3 - Dead Can Dance
4 - Black Sabbath
5 - Type O Negative

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Apr 11 2013, 12:26 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
1. King's X
2. Kiss
3. Racer X/Paul Gilbert
4. Megadeth

Proud to say that my Dad raised me on guitar music wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 11 2013, 01:28 AM
I love this! Very interesting seeing everyone's main influences!

As someone said earlier, it does change over time as far as what composition I attempt to come up with but I do have my basics.

I really try to come up with heavy rhythms and try to emulate stuff that Adam Jones of Tool would do, understanding that my own style will kick into what I am doing so it doesn't necessarily sound like Tool.

The bands I try to think like when writing are:

Tool
Incubus
Foo Fighters.

However more than anyone, I can not escape my natural style which developed over years unknowingly.

Alex Lifeson

The little things that he does is deeply ingrained into me and everyone tells me they hear his style in my playing - which is a good thing, but not at all intended. I think it's the way I accent things or some of the note progressions I settle on, I can hear it too, but it is not because I am trying to do anything Lifeson does, it's simply because ultimately, that idea is what I like best.

However, my main influences, mentally more so then what actually comes out of me are:

Rush
Iron Maiden
Randy Rhoads
Black Sabbath
Vivian Campbell - Dio era
George Lynch
Zakk Wilde
Adam Jones

I like to write songs that make shoulders move and girls as well as guys enjoy, something mainstream enough for the standard bar crowd, yet heavy enough for other rock musicians to enjoy and take seriously. My main endeavor is to come up with catchy hooks.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 11 2013, 02:03 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 11 2013, 04:09 AM
if I have to pick 5 ...

Wes Montgomery
Jeff Beck
Ritchie Blackmore (deep purple)
Al McKay (earth, wind and fire)
Mahavishnu orch (McLaughlin)

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 11 2013, 05:30 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Well if we are going back to our roots. my list would look something like this, in no particular order.

Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin
David Gilmour/Pink Floyd
Alex Lifeson/Rush
Edward Van Halen/Van Halen
The Yardbirds/ Eric Clapton - Jeff Beck
Jimi Hendrix

Sorry, that was six. That being said, to get a more complete picture of influences I would have to add these guys. I have to add them because I have taken a little bit of something from each of them and tried to make it my own.

Angus Young
Joe Satriani
Randy Rhoads
Steve Vai
Frank Zappa
Joe Bonamasa
Nuno Bettencourt
Greg Howe
Paul Gilbert
Eric Johnson
Neal Schon

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 11 2013, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 11 2013, 12:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
the bands that really made me want to play music were -

Alice cooper
GnR - mainly the appetite album.
pearl jam

since Ive got more into playing I kinda look towards tony iommi, gilmour and alex lifeson as big influences.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2013, 02:04 PM
Instructor
Cool guys! Thanks for sharing your list. This thread is becoming really interesting. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Apr 11 2013, 03:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Jimi Hendrix

Old Pink Floyd

Van der Graaf

Neil Young with Crazy Horse

Alice Cooper / Killer

Fleetwood mac / old stuff

Metallica

Faun

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Apr 11 2013, 04:51 PM
Blind Guardian- Blind Guardian made me " Ride into Obsession" with heavy metal and their song A Voice in the Dark literally launched me to the nearest guitar store. Seeing the wizardous (is this a real word?) guitar duo perform their magic in the video still makes me wanna squeez some rock out of my guitar. Yeah, you can easily guess what lead me to join GMC... biggrin.gif

Ritchie Blackmore- Ritchie rocks. Period. Even more when combined with Dio. Another period.

Black Sabbath-I guess the first ever metal song I've heard was Iron Man by Black Sabbath. I was around 7 years old and it was so unlike anything I listened to until then, that my Dad rembers me saying "It's like music, but it's a lot better". And Black Sabbath also rocks even more when combined with Dio. In fact, Dio makes everything rock, even things that cannot rock on their own like rainbows and dancers and Vivian Campbell.

Gamma Ray- What can I say? Kai Hansen has it all.

Dio- The only man who can take up "God" as his stage name without seeming even a little egoist. Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam Evil!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 11 2013, 05:39 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Well, if I go back to my youth, the 5 bands I listened to the most were:

Die Toten Hosen
Die Ärzte (yeah, the big two of german punk, or rock nowadays)

Green Day
Blink 182
The Offspring

I know, nobody could have guessed that this would be my list wink.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 11 2013, 06:40 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 11 2013, 05:39 PM) *
Well, if I go back to my youth, the 5 bands I listened to the most were:

Die Toten Hosen
Die Ärzte (yeah, the big two of german punk, or rock nowadays)

Green Day
Blink 182
The Offspring

I know, nobody could have guessed that this would be my list wink.gif

U forgot Justin Bieber. mad.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:29 PM