> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

B Metal Riffing, Lesson By Joe Kataldo
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Siinthd
Aug 16 2019, 05:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: B Metal Riffing by Joe Kataldo

at finally i found using of seven string.lesson sounds very cool)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2019, 12:56 AM
GMC:er
Nice! You got all the little triplets and bits in there as well. You clearly have a good understanding of this piece. Good to see you playing a 7 string! It's always good to stretch out and try ERGs. Extended range guitars are a wonderful thing.
Your playing is good here and your hand synch is nice and TOIGHT. You have all the pieces down but I would say you could still use a bit more "groove". The original piece uses a LOT of playing against the beat instead of playing with the beat. This is what gives it a sort of push and pull feeling which results in the "Groove". It's at the core of all groove metal riffing.

You can play the riffs for sure. I'd say it's worth it to go back and play along with the original and try to match his sense of groove. It's a matter of milliseconds. Very subtle. It's not enough to stop me from enjoying your take though! 8 from me smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Siinthd @ Aug 16 2019, 12:25 PM) *
Original lesson: B Metal Riffing by Joe Kataldo

at finally i found using of seven string.lesson sounds very cool)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 17 2019, 12:57 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 20 2019, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

You are on the good track with this one but let me point out some details that would need some work.

First...the muted, alternately pick-slanted lick (around 0:09)string has some timing problems. It is not precise yet. Has kind of nervous feel to it and you tend to play the second note too fast. Just try to relax. The more you tense, the more pick stucks between strings. Maybe you need to increase pick angle for these few notes even more. It usually helps in this kind of issue.

In the legato lick like 0:16 make sure you use the tip of your index finger to touch 7th string while you play on the 6th. at some repeats of this lick, you tend to have some noise from unwnated, 7th string. Try to improve the separation between these two strings.
If you listen carefully, you will also notice you hit the wrong note in the same lick - you think you fret proper place on the neck but the audioable efect is like a half step lower - bb instead of b on the 7th string..right before the d# to d pull off. It's usually cause by player already focusing on the upcoming lick and loosing some focus and precision on the passing notes.

AS an overall advice I would carefully woked out your fretting hand to make sure you use only as much pressure as necessary. To much pressure cause pitch issues and sotimes they are visible in your take. Also there is a general "rushing" issue in your timing.

Besides above there are some good things of course. Your general hand shaping and unwanted noise control is really nice. Your timing is not totally wrong. It's just "same little" off through all the take smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 20 2019, 03:25 PM
Instructor
Hi again!

Your playing here is also good here, but there is still some room to adjust the main riff. The rhythm here is not as easy as it seems because you have some downbeat accents and drums don't follow each of them. The use of legato makes things even trickier for both timing and cleanness. The problem is not dramatic at all, but I recommend you to slow down a bit the riff, and practice it over metronome, using guitar pro, or slower backing tracks.

Regarding cleanness, be sure to make everything sound cleaner and more consistent. This style requires a strong picking but also a good sense of dynamics to accentuate the right part of the riffs and chords. Listen to the original lesson and try to emulate this "feel". For example, the power chords at 00:18 don't sound consistent. Work on these details.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2019, 10:21 AM
GMC Founder
Nice!

First - your tone here is improved compared to your take on the Metal Metrics 1 lesson. Maybe double check if something is different your recording setup?

To fix the timing issues pointed out, I would like to suggest that you try to better connect your right hand movement to the general pulse of the backing. The easiest way to achieve this is to make sure you are constantly tapping your foot to the beat. If you are doing this - it should be easier for your right hand to lock in with the groove.

Keep up the good work, you get a 7 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 29 2019, 01:24 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:15 PM