Woodstock 40th Tribute, Warning: Very long
JVM
Aug 16 2009, 05:53 AM
Learning Roadie
In case you weren't aware, this saturday the 15th was the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Me and two buddies did a little jam and decided to record. It's all live, and we had been drinking a little wink.gif Anyway, I thought I would upload the entire bit, hoping maybe someone will listen to the whole thing and give me some feedback smile.gif

We recorded with a tascam dr-1 portable digital recorder on the ground between us. I'm the clearer (or maybe just louder) guitar on the right. Bryon is on drums, and Devin on the other guitar. It's all improv except near the end we jam around a Black Keys riff, Goodbye Babylon. Thanks for listening.

Attached File  woodstockjampt2.mp3 ( 25.54MB ) Number of downloads: 257
~27 minutes (the better, though longer, part)

Attached File  woodstockjampt1.mp3 ( 9.4MB ) Number of downloads: 210
~10 minutes (more noise!)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2009, 05:06 PM
Instructor
I like this kind of psychedelic stuff man. There are couple of things that I think needs addressing too.

- Drummer is way too loud.
- Guitars are out of tune with each other
- I think rhythm guitar should have very little reverb, and lead guitar should have more

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 16 2009, 06:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the input Ivan!

About the mix, this was the first time I've used the device. When we did the soundcheck, it was just the drummer and I and I think we had a bit better mix. The second guitarist came in in the middle of the jam and were already going at that point. We probably should have re done the sound check though. You're probably right about the reverb too.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2009, 09:25 PM
Instructor
How many mics did you use for this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 16 2009, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Have a look at the Tascam I used. It has a built in stereo condenser mic, which is what we used. I also have an SM57 I can plug into the mic input which sounds very good, but I only used the built in for this recording.

To my ears (when playing) the mix was good, so I probably placed the recorder in a spot too close to the drums.

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 16 2009, 09:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2009, 09:37 PM
Instructor
I see, it has stereo condenser mics. Well it is very hard to make a good mix in the studio with those, so you did a very good job in the end I think. I thought you were recording multiracked.

I understand the problems of recording in studio with only a couple of condensers, and drummer will always get louder. Possibly you can place it a bit better, test the sound, and bring the phones and listen to the recording to get it to just right positions. When you test it for couple of mins with various positions, then you choose the best one and keep it there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:47 AM