Pedals, Pedals, Pedals!, I think ive got ocd for them.....!
sted
Apr 3 2009, 05:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys,

Just starting to look at some pedals to go with my new blackstar HT-5 amp, I got a nice new Hardwire RV-7 reverb today which I really like (The amp didnt have reverb so it was first on my list!) and i'm looking to put together a little shortlist of pedals to audition, eventually I want a nice chorus, delay and wah but i think my first would be a nice clean overdrive.

What do we think? I'm not interested in metal and I love blues so I was thinking: Boss blues driver (duh!), tube screamer and the analog man "king of tone" (Although its a year waiting list sad.gif there might be some for private sale) I know boss do "vintage amp pedals" such as the Bassman etc but I view these with some suspicion.

any suggestions would be most welcome, I dont mind paying a bit for something i like!! Also any pointers on pedalboards and power supplies etc are also welcome.

As ususal, thank you all in advance!! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 3 2009, 06:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
The Boss Blues Driver Pedals are pretty solid.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Apr 3 2009, 06:48 PM
Instructor
If you love blues and blues/rock I recommend you to try :

- Fulltone OCD & Fulldrive II mosfet
- Xotic BB preamp

They are really versatile and the sound is really amazing with all tube amp (and much better than a blues driver IMHO)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 3 2009, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Getting an overdrive pedal is a long jurney I think, so buying several of them before you settle on one is the right way to go. You just have to try them for some time with your amp and see how it behaves.

I would personally go with Keeley Tube Screamer TS-9 Mod Plus as a first overdrive/boost stomp for an all-tuber, although I haven't tried it! They are relatively cheap, and better in quality then regular ones, so I think selling later and getting a new one if you don't like it won't be a big issue. Check out this video review on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8eoUfHfFw

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 3 2009, 08:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 3 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Getting an overdrive pedal is a long jurney I think, so buying several of them before you settle on one is the right way to go. You just have to try them for some time with your amp and see how it behaves.

I would personally go with Keeley Tube Screamer TS-9 Mod Plus as a first overdrive/boost stomp for an all-tuber, although I haven't tried it! They are relatively cheap, and better in quality then regular ones, so I think selling later and getting a new one if you don't like it won't be a big issue. Check out this video review on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8eoUfHfFw

Thats a cool sounding pedal for sure, just one thing about that demo, im sure thats one of Gabriels lessons from GMC thats being played at the start!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks3/

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 3 2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor
yeah it is similar. It is a classic SRV style lick based on a "Merry had a little lamb", very cool riff! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
inertia
Apr 4 2009, 04:24 AM
GMC:er
fulltone OCD is very nice, I own one, also just bought an MI Audio Crunchbox, on lower gains it's a sick pedal for blues, I love it...you can't go wrong with tube screamers or a keeley modded boss blues driver but I think you'll get more mileage out of an OCD or one of the xotic pedals like the bb preamp because they can go from light blues to a nice marshall plexi

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 4 2009, 12:20 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'd suggest the OCD and a Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver. Both very good and they do have a different sound from each other.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 4 2009, 12:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
I checked out the maxon TOD 9, it could be the one for me!!

Its that or the TS808 keeley mod i reckon, maybe i should just order both!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 4 2009, 04:34 PM
GMC:er
The only other one I'd recommend that's not been mentioned is a Marshall Guv'nor!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 4 2009, 10:24 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Xotic BB Preamp, Tubescreamer (Keeley modded), Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and Blackstar HT-Drive are some really great pedals worth looking into smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 4 2009, 10:57 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've heard the Digitech is the second best choice after T-Rex Room mate.
But I think the Digitech went up in price just rescently, before both it's functionality and low price worked for it. They must have realized they had a product that could compete on quality only.

Still, I say the T-Rex room mate is the way to go if you can afford it. My friend in a former band bought it and it was truly amazing, and I think reverb is the effect to be really picky about.
A bad reverb can really ruin everything.

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 5 2009, 12:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 4 2009, 10:57 PM) *
I've heard the Digitech is the second best choice after T-Rex Room mate.
But I think the Digitech went up in price just rescently, before both it's functionality and low price worked for it. They must have realized they had a product that could compete on quality only.

Still, I say the T-Rex room mate is the way to go if you can afford it. My friend in a former band bought it and it was truly amazing, and I think reverb is the effect to be really picky about.
A bad reverb can really ruin everything.

I bought the Hardwire RV-7 reverb which i really like, i think its digitech's upmarket range, they are built like tanks (even better than Boss!) and have great features and lexicon processing with true bypass, as with most pedals it has good and bad points but it sounds great for my playing style. They also do a CM-2 tube drive pedal which is getting good reviews and retails for around 80 quid, less than half the price of a keeley mod TS, anyone any experience with this, I know they are fairly new??

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 5 2009, 03:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 5 2009, 03:21 PM) *
I thought tube drives where only for boosting solid state amps to basicaly act like a tube pre-amp.

I think a lot of people use them to drive the clean channels of a tube amp as well, all the demos i watch of these things they are always played through a very good tube amp but on the clean side (Pro guitar shop demos everything through a 65 amps soho). The drive channel of my blackstar is like a crazy Marshall so i dont need a traditional distortion pedal and I thought a nice overdrive on the clean would just boost the natural characteristics of that side of the amp giving me a new tone to play with.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:34 PM