Introduction To 3 Notes Per String
Guitar1969
Oct 17 2008, 11:29 PM
GMC:er
I hear 3 notes per string discussed a bit, and was wondering if there's a good introductory lesson on it somewhere deep in the GMC vaults(Preferably a 101 lesson: I like the ipoken lessons better). Not sure what name to search under: I tried "3 notes per string" on the video search but it came up empty. I guess I'm a bit confused on the use of this term because I've heard guitarists use this term when they play 2 adjacent pentatonic scales together as one(which would give them 4 notes available on a string). Are 3 notes per string different scales.

If you could tell me where to start I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
mh

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Oct 17 2008, 11:31 PM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2008, 11:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
For a written lesson you could check out Deep Root's excellent 3 note per string part 1 and 2:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=16647
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=16648

Not video, or 101 but they will explain the concept very well!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 17 2008, 11:43 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 17 2008, 03:37 PM) *
For a written lesson you could check out Deep Root's excellent 3 note per string part 1 and 2:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=16647
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=16648

Not video, or 101 but they will explain the concept very well!

Thanks - I recall coming across this post in a thread a few weeks back and couldn't find it again - That's the info I was looking for.

mh

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 18 2008, 11:22 AM
Instructor
3 notes per string is most common way
to play diatonic scales,7 notes scales
like major scales,minor scales,church modes etc.
You can play every scale using one string only
but with 3nps patters you get wider range,more octaves,
without moving your fretting hand a lot,
and that's all because how guitar strings are tuned. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 18 2008, 11:45 AM
Lets go fishing!
There are some great written lessons on this topic, but I have always felt for a long time GMC is lacking a Spoken 101 lesson on Improvisation with 3-Nps patterns and licks.

There are hundreds of 2nps Pentatonic lessons all over the web, but maybe GMC could be the first to do a 3nps series of some kind? cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 18 2008, 11:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Here is a good lesson that I had for the last MTP assignment!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 19 2008, 11:35 PM
Instructor
Here you go mate: smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-picking/

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 20 2008, 05:15 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 19 2008, 03:35 PM) *

Ivan - Actually that Pentatonic series is on my list of bookmarked lessons to do, but I've been working on your string muting lesson right now, as I've never thought about string muting before, but now that I am doing more improvising, its time to get a handle on it. I am however a bit overwhelmed by it - can't imagine how to consciously keep a handle on string muting when doing fast improvising, but I'll keep at it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2008, 06:34 PM
Instructor
As I said in the lesson, you don't and can't mute the strings while improvising. You should only do it while practicing. After a while it will show in your playing naturally. It is impossible to mute the strings while playing, if you haven't practiced playing with muting in the first place. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 20 2008, 07:33 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 20 2008, 10:34 AM) *
As I said in the lesson, you don't and can't mute the strings while improvising. You should only do it while practicing. After a while it will show in your playing naturally. It is impossible to mute the strings while playing, if you haven't practiced playing with muting in the first place. smile.gif

I'm with you - My biggest problem in general is when I practice and play in front of people its 2 totally different things. I play at my church once a month, and I am amazed how bad I suck when adding the pressure of live performance - I get sloppy, I can't be creative, etc. One of the problems is we come together as a band, and work off lead sheets, but never practice together other than the 30minutes before we play.

In any case - I'll keep working on it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2008, 09:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Oct 20 2008, 08:33 PM) *
I'm with you - My biggest problem in general is when I practice and play in front of people its 2 totally different things. I play at my church once a month, and I am amazed how bad I suck when adding the pressure of live performance - I get sloppy, I can't be creative, etc. One of the problems is we come together as a band, and work off lead sheets, but never practice together other than the 30minutes before we play.

You main problem is that you don't have rehearsals. You will never sound as good at the church as you are at home, but you can accept that as a normal fact, and try to be the best you can at home. This way you will raise the quality in church as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:17 PM