Building A Guitar By Yourself, Jem Style, Evo Pickups, Tree of Life Custom Neck, Edge Pro
floyo123
Apr 12 2009, 10:45 AM
GMC:er
Hi Guys,
somedays ago i started ebaying and googling around about guitars and stuff, like everyone always does when he is sitting in front of his Pc. I searched around and found a really nice Guitar Body of a discontinued Jem Type, The Floral Pattern ones, the might appear somehow a bit gay, but in fact i think its just an beautiful Guitar.

So I´m new to bulding a Guitar on your own but i have experience with Computers, so if i can handle complex technology i think i can handle Screwing the Bolt on Neck on, Inserting Pickups incl. electronics (that is a point where i need help!), the Pro Edge might be a bit difficult but i managed to reinstall a floyd rose on my kelly because it killed the springs.

I went through the Internet and found a lot of information and stuff, i want to declare you guys now my plan and if some expierenced guys among you find problems in that plan i would be really pleased if you would help me.

So first of all the Body and the Trem.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Ibanez-Steve-Vai-Jem-77...%3A1|240%3A1318

I´m new to Ibanez FR licensed Trems, but i think i have to do a drilling through the neck because they have those anchor kind of screws (i think to fix the sattle?) haven´t they, also i think the locking nuts are not included in this auction.

Now here is the Neck i found:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Custom-made-guitar-neck...%3A1|240%3A1318

I really like it. I think i just have to do some drills and attach it to the body? (read a lot about this and how to make sure that it is in one line with the body and so on...

Last but not least i have chosen this pickups, like it hast to be on a jem....

http://cgi.ebay.de/Dimarzio-Evolution-PINK...p3286.m63.l1177

I know that i need those Knobs and little misc stuff like a pickguard maybe.

like this.

http://cgi.ebay.de/NEW-Ibanez-FLORAL-JEM-P...%3A1|240%3A1318

Now comes a point where i have no exact clue what i need, i need mechanics for the strings maybe locking ones, i need the locking nuts and sattle if i didnt missunderstood whats included in the body auction, i have to buy an input jack and this other electronic stuff like pickup selector. I would be really happy if someone show me what i need and how to do it i know that i have to (dont know the world melting metal to contact cables?) braze?, everything right that everything works.

If you help me i would really help you out in the upcoming weeks with detailed progression datas and photos ^^.

Thank you Guys,
Happy Easter!

(if you have any consideration about something going wrong please post)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 12 2009, 11:08 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
One possibility - to avoid soldering metal - may be to buy a pick guard with all the electronics pre-mounted? There are some available for strat type guitars - not sure though if you could get one with the right combination of pickups though.

Oh and for a locking nut - take a look here. The type you need depends on whether or not the neck already has a nut fitted smile.gif .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 12 2009, 01:08 PM
You don't need a Scratchplate for that body. Everything mounts directly to it. As Tony said, you'll need to drill for the Locking Nut on the neck. As for the Electrical parts....you'll need a 5-way Blade type Switch, 2 x 500k Pots and 1 Sprague "Orange Drop" .022mfd / 400v capacitor. Do a search for 'Guitar Wiring Kit' on eBay and you should find something suitable!!!
Basically your wiring will be exactly the same as a normal Strat type, unless you want to install Coil Taps as well!!! If you need a wiring diagram let me know!!
smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Apr 12 2009, 01:09 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
floyo123
Apr 12 2009, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 12 2009, 01:08 PM) *
You don't need a Scratchplate for that body. Everything mounts directly to it. As Tony said, you'll need to drill for the Locking Nut on the neck. As for the Electrical parts....you'll need a 5-way Blade type Switch, 2 x 500k Pots and 1 Sprague "Orange Drop" .022mfd / 400v capacitor. Do a search for 'Guitar Wiring Kit' on eBay and you should find something suitable!!!
Basically your wiring will be exactly the same as a normal Strat type, unless you want to install Coil Taps as well!!! If you need a wiring diagram let me know!!
smile.gif smile.gif

I just wont to wire it Normal like a normal H S H strat type guitar,
i have a question is it hard to do proper drillings in neck and install the edge pro?

i dont want it to be done by a luthier, they take so much $$$.... beside in germany its more expensive than anywhere.

I indeed want a scratchplate im always using this as a Guideline.

http://cgi.ebay.de/IBANEZ-STEVE-VAI-JEM-77...%3A1|240%3A1318

See me play and you know i need a scratchplate^^.

My main worries are about the drills, or is there something i can do horribly wrong, if i see it correctly the drills for electronic are just lil drills, (have a strat from fender so i can compare the screws and stuff), wiring should with a good plan be not do difficult the only thing which scares me is drilling in the neck for the Edge Pro, im afraid that i do something wrong and kill the whole guitar or something.

I found this wiring Kit i think everything you mentioned is included isnt it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-COMPLETE-WIRING...409151008r11321

So lets put everyhting together

I got

The Body incl the Edge Pro
The Pickguard
The Wiring Kit
The Pickups
The Neck

I still need:

The right locking Nuts don´t i ?

It would be nice if someone checks the Body Auction because the Edge Pro is included there, those Big Nobs on the Picture of the Trem are those Bolts i have to drill the neck for and then i apply the Saddle and the Locking Nuts.

Is still need Mechanics for The Strings on the Headstock anyone some good Tips.
I also intend to put an ESP Arming Adjuster in it.

Im a bit stupid Tony im very busy handling english words and german words, guitar parts is something very strange in german..., i have a link to the Neck above, its finished but not drilled except for the holes for the mechanics.

This post has been edited by floyo123: Apr 12 2009, 03:01 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 12 2009, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (floyo123 @ Apr 12 2009, 02:36 PM) *
I just wont to wire it Normal like a normal H S H strat type guitar,
i have a question is it hard to do proper drillings in neck and install the edge pro?

i dont want it to be done by a luthier, they take so much $$$.... beside in germany its more expensive than anywhere.

I can give yiou a wiring diagram for that!
The Edge Pro is the unit that goes in the body, the two holes for the Posts are already drilled for you!
As for drilling the neck...
There are two styles of Locking Nut. One is like this:-

The only drilling needed is a small hole for each of those screws to the side. They screw through the Nut into the neck.
The other kind is like this:-

Exactly the same nut but the screws go in from the back of the neck. This way you have to drill from the Fingerboard side and then a slightly bigger drill from the back to accommodate the Heads of the screws!

--------------------

+Quote Post
floyo123
Apr 12 2009, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 12 2009, 02:47 PM) *
I can give yiou a wiring diagram for that!
The Edge Pro is the unit that goes in the body, the two holes for the Posts are already drilled for you!
As for drilling the neck...

The only drilling needed is a small hole for each of those screws to the side. They screw through the Nut into the neck.

Exactly the same nut but the screws go in from the back of the neck. This way you have to drill from the Fingerboard side and then a slightly bigger drill from the back to accommodate the Heads of the screws!

O.K. the first Locking Nuts you mentioned are pretty much the same like those on my KE1 Kelly from Jackson with an original FR. Im just new to Ibanez may brain limits my thinking to stuff like

"Ibanez Trems need special Locking Nuts?!?!", is there a real difference between both while using the Trem is one better or is it just a matter of personal favour. I would prefer the ones with the screws you cant see because i think it is easier to attach?

Then if every drilling for a Trem is there i just need to do the drills of the screws that hold the Springplate and the Springs.

Thank you Jones so much!

Beside, the father of best pal is a elictrician master and hes working for a big company (in a power plant next to our town) he would do the electronic stuff for me if i get your wiring plan.

Good is there anymore thing i should think about except for which locking nuts i buy.?!

€dit, for the Neck i just have to do those 4 Screws nothing with glue? (i know its bolt on because its bolt on neck but do i have to care about something?)

This post has been edited by floyo123: Apr 12 2009, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 13 2009, 12:23 PM

Personally I cant think of any difference between those two Locking nuts. I've used the first style on many Ibanez style Guitars and never had a problem!!
There's no drilling to fit the Trem Posts, these holes are already there:-

You will need to drill a couple of small holes to start the screws for the Spring Claw.
PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a Strat Wiring Diagram!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Apr 13 2009, 12:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
floyo123
Apr 20 2009, 09:26 PM
Okay here it is.

I bought the Body today now we have to wait and soon the Neck will be made. Stay tuned.

The Guy who sold me the body said that the holes for the knife edge are just marked not drilled.
Are they hard to do?

Can i do it myself or do i have to seek for help, the guitar Teacher of my Band Mate is used to built
Guitars and insert them, i think.

Any Suggestions?

€dit Body will be sent by tomorrow so i think i get it on Thursday or Friday .

This post has been edited by floyo123: Apr 20 2009, 09:45 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 20 2009, 09:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Be sure to use a pillar drill to get the holes perfectly vertical.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 21 2009, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 20 2009, 09:33 PM) *
Be sure to use a pillar drill to get the holes perfectly vertical.

+1!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Apr 21 2009, 12:46 PM
Instructor
Good luck with the project smile.gif

I recommend the first nut with small holes from above, since the second one with bigger holes weakens the neck..

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 12 2009, 03:47 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
floyo123
Apr 29 2009, 05:41 AM
Got a Carpenter for the Drill.

But how deep do i have to drill and what radius is needed for the Hole.

I got this Things :

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/detail/trem_edge_lopro.jpg

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 29 2009, 03:38 PM

The holes need to be a very tight/interference fit for the 'Bushes' and deep enough to take the whole bush. (The silver parts marked in the pic.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
floyo123
Apr 29 2009, 04:36 PM
Istn there a Guideline exactly how deep and how tight the hole has to be?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 30 2009, 12:18 PM
The Hole needs to be deep enough so that the bush sits completely in the hole.
According to Stew-Mac the hole should be 11/32" Diameter and 1" deep you can check HERE.
But measure the bushes that you have first!
Once you've drilled one hole, remove the Drill Bit from the Chuck and use the Chuck to press the Bush into place, then do the other one. This should help keep them dead straight!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:17 PM