Carvin Pick-up
jstcrsn
Jan 8 2010, 03:49 AM
Learning Tone Master
Im' building a new guitar and need some advice , has anyone had any exp. with carvin pick-ups or what else do you think would fit
this is a link to one of my songs so you will know my style
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=32726

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 8 2010, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't know any Carvin pickups and I don't know what guitars you play but the song sounds like a Seymour Duncan Sh-4 Jeff Beck would suit your style (heavy on the mids)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 8 2010, 02:45 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I have a strat with carvin pickups. They sound pretty decent, but if you`re planning to change I would recommand a bit more specialized brand such as Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, BKP, Lindy Fralin etc. And with those brands, Zakk`s the man to ask smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 8 2010, 03:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 8 2010, 02:31 PM) *
I don't know any Carvin pickups and I don't know what guitars you play but the song sounds like a Seymour Duncan Sh-4 Jeff Beck would suit your style (heavy on the mids)

duncan invader bridge on an rg, don't want to go active since none of my other guitars are and don't want to create issues in a live situation
this new body is mohagony

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 8 2010, 03:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
And what is it you don't like with your Invader? Too much bass? Too much output? What should be diffrent?

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 8 2010, 03:29 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 8 2010, 09:08 AM) *
And what is it you don't like with your Invader? Too much bass? Too much output? What should be diffrent?

I'd be interested to know also as I'm considering an Invader for a new project.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 8 2010, 04:48 PM
Carvins are all handwound on their premises and are great quality pieces.
Here's a chart of how Carvin themselves rate each unit:-

If you have a particular Carvin model in mind let me know and I'll dig out the exact Spec for you!!
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 8 2010, 04:54 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 8 2010, 11:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 8 2010, 03:08 PM) *

great rythym, was wandering if there was something as good rythym that might have a little better lead capabilities, seems my lead might be a little thin

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 9 2010, 12:46 PM
If you still want to go the Carvin route I'd recommend the M22-SD. It has a higher Bass response and a higher High Mid and Treble response. If you buy direct from Carvin at the moment they have a sale on and one of these will only cost you$39.99 instead of the usual $109!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 9 2010, 01:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 9 2010, 12:46 PM) *
If you still want to go the Carvin route I'd recommend the M22-SD. It has a higher Bass response and a higher High Mid and Treble response. If you buy direct from Carvin at the moment they have a sale on and one of these will only cost you$39.99 instead of the usual $109!
biggrin.gif

i was looking at these but ,i was just trying tofind if anyone has used them. thanks you all for your input
do you know if they show those specs against other brands

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 9 2010, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 9 2010, 12:23 PM) *
i was looking at these but ,i was just trying tofind if anyone has used them. thanks you all for your input
do you know if they show those specs against other brands

I have used those M22's and have to say that they're a good all-rounder. I wasn't playing really high-gain stuff with them so it's hard to say what they'd be like when pushed hard all the time compared to others but for everything up to a Classic Rock sound they'd be fine.

HERE's the page where I got the graph from, if you go there they have a table with the Resistance and Magnet type listed.
Here's the Seymour Duncan Tonechart (Specsheet) comparison table.
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 9 2010, 01:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 9 2010, 05:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 9 2010, 01:51 PM) *
I have used those M22's and have to say that they're a good all-rounder. I wasn't playing really high-gain stuff with them so it's hard to say what they'd be like when pushed hard all the time compared to others but for everything up to a Classic Rock sound they'd be fine.

HERE's the page where I got the graph from, if you go there they have a table with the Resistance and Magnet type listed.
Here's the Seymour Duncan Tonechart (Specsheet) comparison table.
smile.gif

sounds like i'm leaning a way from carvin, thanks for the link was helpful , any other brands you think i might like
think i'm not likimg the bass in the invader seems to muddy up clean tones , the dimebucker has less bass but doesn't have an audio
track for it , evertried these

i was also looking at the specs for the alternate 8 any one tried those

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jan 9 2010, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 9 2010, 05:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think a Bareknuckle Nailbomb Humbucker would sound great for your sound in a Ibanez RG.
It gives you a cool rythm tone and a warm, singing lead sound that you are missing on the Invader.

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 9 2010, 05:19 PM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 9 2010, 06:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 9 2010, 05:19 PM) *
I think a Bareknuckle Nailbomb Humbucker would sound great for your sound in a Ibanez RG.
It gives you a cool rythm tone and a warm, singing lead sound that you are missing on the Invader.

it won't be in a rg this time
it will be in a mohagany body( i'm still laughin , i spelled body --- doby)
freudian slip
any how, do you know how that might be in that
dose it have good lead , not to muddy cleans
i know i want it all in one pick-up laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 9 2010, 06:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
What guitar is it actually going in?
I need to know which fretboard, neck and body wood and also what shape the guitar has (strat, etc...)

The Nailbomb is the most versatile Bareknuckle pickup! Great cleans, good rock and metal tone but not too heavy or extreme and a really cool leadsound BUT it is a high powered alnico pickup so in an all mahagony guitar with a thick body (for example and explorer or Les Paul without a maple top) the nailbomb would sound muddy because it doesn't cut through the wood...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 9 2010, 06:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 9 2010, 06:19 PM) *
What guitar is it actually going in?
I need to know which fretboard, neck and body wood and also what shape the guitar has (strat, etc...)

The Nailbomb is the most versatile Bareknuckle pickup! Great cleans, good rock and metal tone but not too heavy or extreme and a really cool leadsound BUT it is a high powered alnico pickup so in an all mahagony guitar with a thick body (for example and explorer or Les Paul without a maple top) the nailbomb would sound muddy because it doesn't cut through the wood...

it is called a Mocking bird , through warmoth , this shape is no longer made, maple neck with an ebony frtboard, floyd rose trem.Body is 1 . 75 inchs . not very heavy
i looked at seymor and it didn't have a audio clip but from the looks of it i need all the sustain i can get with a very even response between bass , mid and treble and that's what the alt. 8 from duncan had have you heard this?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 10 2010, 05:45 PM

I've not personally used an Alt 8, although just having read the spec I think this could be a good contender! If you contact Warmoth about this then I'm sure they'll offer some great advice too! They're very helpful people who know their products very well!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 10 2010, 07:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
I also haven't played the alternative 8 but I have read some mixed reviews of it having a weird tonal response while other love it.

Also:
The Nailbomb would work great in your Mockingbird!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:13 PM