2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Figured Out Why Death Metal Is Called "death Metal"
shellshock1911
Jul 3 2008, 11:54 PM
GMC:er
So I am extremely extremely interested in health/fitness/exercising/nutrition/longevity/etc. Well I read this article on a Chinese man that supposebly lived 256 years, according to records, but according to him he was only 197 or so when he died in 1933. Whether or not this is true, I still believe that incredibly long live is possible and I try everyday to learn more on how I can achive this. There is this book I have called "Secrets to Longevity," and one of them that I thought was quite interesting was that there was a study on various people over a years time that listened to "Loud/Jarring music" vs a group of people that listened to "Soothing Classical Music" and the group with the loud/jarring music reported having more headaches and health problems in general. Also somehow plants exposed to this "Loud/Jarring music" withered away and died faster than those exposed to slow/soothing classical music. I don't know how that works, but it is worth putting some research into.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 3 2008, 11:58 PM
If Death Metal kills me... it would be the sweetest death any fan can conjure laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 4 2008, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jul 4 2008, 12:58 AM) *
If Death Metal kills me... it would be the sweetest death any fan can conjure laugh.gif

Yepp it is probobly the best way to die

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 4 2008, 12:18 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Haha that really interesting!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 4 2008, 12:18 AM
Instructor
Uhm, because people die when they listen it too much? unsure.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 4 2008, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Interesting post.. but i think it all depends on wether "loud/jarring" music actually does relax you. If you dont like it to begin with then offcourse you will get a headache and whatnot if you force it on yourself smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Jul 4 2008, 12:25 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 4 2008, 01:38 AM
Instructor
This really makes sense... When I listen to Coldplay I feel peace.. sleep.gif when I listen to Metallica's Master Of Pupppets I feel angry! mad.gif And when I feel angry I ususally feel nervous... But... Please doctor! let me hear Extreme Metal!!! just one more time!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jul 4 2008, 02:15 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 4 2008, 12:25 AM) *
Interesting post.. but i think it all depends on wether "loud/jarring" music actually does relax you. If you dont like it to begin with then offcourse you will get a headache and whatnot if you force it on yourself smile.gif

The study was done on people that actually enjoyed the music and listened to it anyway, but that does make sense, because with metal, you are often rocking your head at least and it is usually extremely fast so your brain is having to comprehend extremely fast sounds, I guess; whereas slow classical music just allows you to relax like you said.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jul 4 2008, 02:33 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jul 4 2008, 03:15 AM) *
The study was done on people that actually enjoyed the music and listened to it anyway, but that does make sense, because with metal, you are often rocking your head at least and it is usually extremely fast so your brain is having to comprehend extremely fast sounds, I guess; whereas slow classical music just allows you to relax like you said.

Would that make really slow funeral doom and drone good for you then? That wouldn't make sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 4 2008, 03:21 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I'd die for Death Metal, No problem there smile.gif

And like Vince says, It would be the best death you could ask for laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 4 2008, 05:00 AM
BECAUSE I NEED METAL IN MY LIFE>> JUST LIKE AN EAGLE NEEDS TO FLY!
-Manowar

I would rather die than not listen to metal biggrin.gif but you have to balance your metal, i listen to bands like Brain Drill, Gojira, Opeth, Nile, Dying Fetus, Putrid Pile and other very very heavy things but i also enjoy Coldplay, and Porcupine Tree, Jack Johnson, and Bob Dylan. Also on the show myth busters the plants they let listen to heavy metal actually grew faster.. so im not sure what to believe after the comment above. I believe modern science will help with my need for a longer life. Some scientists are predicting that in the next 20 years lifespans will be increasing faster than we can age, which basically means immortality, so im not so worried about keeping myself alive while technology can do it for me biggrin.gif

BRING ON THE METAL!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
JuanMV
Jul 4 2008, 06:15 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Another one to the list! There are some other things that scientists have proved that can kill you as well:

Coke can kill you
Sweeteners can kill you
Caffeine can kill you
Hamburgers can kill you
French fries can kill you
Playing some games on your playstation can kill you
Mobile phones can kill you

…and the list can be endless. I don't think anybody will deny that, for example, heavy smokers or heavy drinkers have higher chances of having heath problems, but I hardly ever pay attention to statements that say that, I don't know, the sun can kill you! Scientists base their conclusion in statistics models, and models are, by definition, simplifications of reality. Note that all these statements say "this thing COULD OR CAN kill you". They never say "this WILL kill you", because they rely only on statistical samples.

You have to be kind of a paranoid person to deprive yourself of some of the things you like or enjoy in life only because a statistical model says so. After all, life is about enjoying the ride man wink.gif You never know, you could walk out of a building and a piano could fall on your head, so LET'S TURN UP THE VOLUME AND LISTEN TO SOME HEAVY STUFF! I'M GETTING A CARCASS CD RIGHT NOW! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Jul 4 2008, 06:46 AM
Umm is there any possibility that you could link that study? It sounds rather absurd that music genre would actually affect plant life positively/negatively. I rather suspect that this is linked to raw decibel levels, not which music style you listen to.

If you play that slow/soothing classical music at +100 decibel then you are going to hurt your ears, no matter what you're listening to. So I bet those head aches/health problems are linked to the fact that people who listen to metal/heavy music tend to play it loud to get the desired effect while people who listen to classical music might tend to listen att lower volumes.

I have not personally read plant research but I suspect that the same is true there, if it's true at all. The plants are negatively affected by high decibel levels, not death metal.

This post has been edited by Smurkas: Jul 4 2008, 06:47 AM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jul 4 2008, 09:11 AM
Singing Instructor
Great topic,Lemmy is holding pretty good.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 4 2008, 10:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jul 4 2008, 12:54 AM) *
Also somehow plants exposed to this "Loud/Jarring music" withered away and died faster than those exposed to slow/soothing classical music. I don't know how that works, but it is worth putting some research into.

I've heard about that before. When exposed to classical music the plants also grew towards/around the speakers, and with metal music (or whatever it was) they grew away from the speakers. Very interesting! smile.gif

Actually my father wrote a page about this in one of his books. I'll see if I can find out the sources he got this info from.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jul 4 2008, 10:36 AM
Dunno how accurate that research is..

Anyways, I think that the actual reason for the name for death metal is the band Death, I think they were the first to do this kind of music... I'm not sure though.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jul 4 2008, 01:48 PM
Instructor
a short life for me... or I'm already dead? blink.gif blink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jul 4 2008, 02:00 PM
Anything can kill you lol. Some people have probably killed themselves with a slipper biggrin.gif

But Death Metal is a great way to die. If I go I want it to be my head falling off headbanging to Beyond the Unholy Grave by Death or Mutilation smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 4 2008, 02:08 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jul 4 2008, 01:36 AM) *
Dunno how accurate that research is..

Anyways, I think that the actual reason for the name for death metal is the band Death, I think they were the first to do this kind of music... I'm not sure though.

It's either that or the first demo by the band "Possessed" which is just called Death Metal

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jul 4 2008, 05:00 AM) *
Anything can kill you lol. Some people have probably killed themselves with a slipper biggrin.gif

But Death Metal is a great way to die. If I go I want it to be my head falling off headbanging to Beyond the Unholy Grave by Death or Mutilation smile.gif

It 'twould be an honor to die listening to Lord Schuldiner tear it up smile.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 4 2008, 02:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
So metal can kill you....

That's so metal!!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:40 PM