> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Anese's Thread, for Gab's Army
Anese
Mar 25 2018, 10:21 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 19 2018, 08:06 PM) *
Hi Anese, thanks a lot for the list. Please keep it updated so we can build your customized program on the way.

Regarding theory, you already know Caged System related to Major Pentatonic scale, and you've said Minor Pentatonic. Can you see minor pentatonic related to caged system too?

Yes Gabby, If for example i play A minor pentatonic starting from the A note at the 5th fret on the low E string, then I move the same fingering one full step I will get the B minor pentatonic Scale! (isn't that correct ?), or you meant something else ?

Besides those things, we need to get into major and minor scales, three notes per string shapes, triads, arpeggios and modes. But not everything at the same time, I'll guide you

That sound Great .. what do you think we should start with ?

Related to technique, and musical lessons, let's continue with lessons that I consider the next steps.

For example, I would like to suggest these ones:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metall...-For-Beginners/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iron-M...-For-Beginners/

Both lessons sound great and fun to play, I see that after we reached some intermediate level of blues we gonna start working on some
heavy crunchy stuff.. is that a strategy of learning?, I like that "seek and destroy" medly, and Im gonna work on the maiden lesson as well.

before you add anything else just remember that at the current time im working on the Masters of sweeping lesson
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Masters-of-Sweeping/

Thanks Man you're the best \m/ biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 26 2018, 04:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Anese @ Mar 25 2018, 06:21 PM) *
Yes Gabby, If for example i play A minor pentatonic starting from the A note at the 5th fret on the low E string, then I move the same fingering one full step I will get the B minor pentatonic Scale! (isn't that correct ?), or you meant something else ?

That sound Great .. what do you think we should start with ?

Well, there is a lot to do with Pentatonic scales but I think that it could be a good idea to start learning triads / arpeggios. The next goal is to learn major and minor arpeggios all along the fretboard, related to the caged system.

Learn those shapes and practice over a one chord vamp (backing track), one minor for Em and other major for E. Share some vids here after a week.

QUOTE (Anese @ Mar 25 2018, 06:21 PM) *
Both lessons sound great and fun to play, I see that after we reached some intermediate level of blues we gonna start working on some
heavy crunchy stuff.. is that a strategy of learning?, I like that "seek and destroy" medly, and Im gonna work on the maiden lesson as well.

Yes, the idea is to balance your practice between soloing techniques, expression skills, but also keep your rhythm on shape. We'll get back to blues stuff, and also some more melodic rock stuff, but I'd like to see you playing some metal rhythms. With the pass of time, you can keep these lessons are part of your diary session to keep your overall technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  arpeggios.zip ( 35.64K ) Number of downloads: 89

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Anese
Apr 7 2018, 03:33 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 26 2018, 05:29 AM) *
Learn those shapes and practice over a one chord vamp (backing track), one minor for Em and other major for E. Share some vids here after a week.

Hello Gabby
Here's one for the E minor shape, let me know what you think
Thanks

This post has been edited by Anese: Apr 7 2018, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 9 2018, 07:52 AM
Instructor
Excellent!! That's what you need to practice. Please do the qsame with major and share a video here too. Then I'll give you new instructions.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Apr 28 2018, 01:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 9 2018, 08:52 AM) *
Excellent!! That's what you need to practice. Please do the qsame with major and share a video here too. Then I'll give you new instructions.

Hello Gabby
I'm glad that you liked the minor arppegio jam, now here's the major jam let me know what you think about it.

Also as you know that I'm working on the Masters of sweep lesson, please take a look at the first part of it and let me know if you have any comments or notes about the tone and technique.

Thanks man

This post has been edited by Anese: Apr 28 2018, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 28 2018, 05:50 PM
Instructor
Great job Anese!!

Let's start applying those arpeggios to real music situations. The first backing track that we are going to work is Am - D.

The idea is that you start by following the chords with each arpeggio. Work on one part of the neck at a time, trying to visualize both arpeggios as well as A minor Pentatonic.

This is what you would visualize between frets 5 and 7.

Am Pentonic

Am Arpeggio

D major Arpeggio

Do this same thing along the whole neck. Play over the backing track. Start by playing the shapes up and down to get familiar, then create phrases combining everything. Start and end phrases using notes from the arpeggios.

Let me know if this is clear.

Regarding the Sweep lesson, it's going well but your right hand needs some adjustment. The "sweep" movement should be smoother and more natural. Check out the original lesson and compare the right hand motion with yours, try to emulate it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
May 30 2018, 03:00 AM
Learning Roadie
Hello Gabby

How about this one ?

Thanks for the notes about the sweep lesson, im still working on it.

Have a nice day biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2018, 09:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Anese! This is a lot better!

I can hear how now you start to go more connected with the chords. The next goal is to make a more phrasing oriented solo, with a rhythm work less related to the chord changes. It can sound weird at first, but the idea is to make your overall phrasing smoother, using the chord tones as target notes, but not always starting phrases at the same beat that the chord change happens.

However, your video shows exactly how you need to practice this by now to get familiar with the chord tones, so please dedicate some more days to this, and share a new video in a few days, if possible longer to let me monitor your progress. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Jun 1 2018, 10:03 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok, Gabby

In the uploaded video I intended to change the (arpeggio/sclae) chords simultaneously with the backing track chord changes as you explained here

The idea is that you start by following the chords with each arpeggio

did I misunderstand something there? or I did exactly as you explained ?
----

For the next video I understand that you want me to come up with something more connected and has less stops and you dont want me to change sclaes/arpeggio at the time the chord changes with the backing track.

I can hear that in my uploaded video the over all thing sounds like it's PROGRAMED .. or a ROBOT is playing because of the way I change chords with the backing track.

however It wouldn't sound weird to me to play Am (arpeggio/ pentatonic) over D chord or Play a D arpeggio over Am chord ..
this might be a little hard to explain but I understand that it's musically right to play anything from Am or D at any point of the backing track since Am and D rhymes over each other.

I know my overall explanation is mess .. laugh.gif

lets wait for my video and see if i got what you're trying to teach me

have a nice day Gabby and thanks for your time.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2018, 03:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Anese @ Jun 1 2018, 06:03 AM) *
Ok, Gabby

In the uploaded video I intended to change the (arpeggio/sclae) chords simultaneously with the backing track chord changes as you explained here

did I misunderstand something there? or I did exactly as you explained ?

You did it perfectly! That's exactly the task of the assignment by now and that how you'll start working over new progressions in the near future. But once, you get familiar to this, and you can visualise the chord tones at every moment, the idea is that you continue developing this in order to make the things sound more musical.

QUOTE (Anese @ Jun 1 2018, 06:03 AM) *
For the next video I understand that you want me to come up with something more connected and has less stops and you dont want me to change sclaes/arpeggio at the time the chord changes with the backing track.

I can hear that in my uploaded video the over all thing sounds like it's PROGRAMED .. or a ROBOT is playing because of the way I change chords with the backing track.

however It wouldn't sound weird to me to play Am (arpeggio/ pentatonic) over D chord or Play a D arpeggio over Am chord ..
this might be a little hard to explain but I understand that it's musically right to play anything from Am or D at any point of the backing track since Am and D rhymes over each other.

I know my overall explanation is mess .. laugh.gif

lets wait for my video and see if i got what you're trying to teach me

have a nice day Gabby and thanks for your time.

Your explanation is CLEAR! And you are on the right track.

Please remember that we are at a "practice" stage now, so this tasks are not exactly what you'll be doing all the time when improvising in a real situation. You need to be able to go strictly with each chord, to then decide when you don't want to do it to get a different feel and melody.

Dedicate 6 minutes to watch this video where Joe explains it clearly:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 13 2018, 09:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Hellio Gabby
here's another one as i tried to implement your notes along with the joe satriani lesson.
let me know what you think.

also check my work on the sweep lesson and let me know if my sweep motion got better or not.

Thanks mate

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2018, 07:14 PM
Instructor
Hi Anese! Congrats on the great job that you are doing here.

The progress on both directions (improvisation and sweep picking) is very clear here. I'm amazed on how much better are both things.

Your Sweep Picking technique is much more natural now, both hands are more comfortable, being your left hand the one that still need more time to be more relaxed while playing the different shapes. It's not a bad idea to dedicate some time to other similar SW lessons, in order to explore other shapes and combinations while you master this one.

The improvisation exercise is also a good step forward. If you compare this new video with the previous now, you'll notice that your phrases are now clearer and less predictable. This is the right direction, there is more work to do, but you are on the right way. In order to avoid boredom, we could go for a new backing, what do you say? This doesn't mean that you'll forget this one, but it's good to work on different backing to practice over different chords and grooves.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 21 2018, 07:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gabby
I'm glad that you see some improvements

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 15 2018, 08:14 PM) *
Your Sweep Picking technique is much more natural now, both hands are more comfortable, being your left hand the one that still need more time to be more relaxed while playing the different shapes. It's not a bad idea to dedicate some time to other similar SW lessons, in order to explore other shapes and combinations while you master this one.

This lesson is huge one, I'm at part 9 and still there's 13 parts to go i'm not bored with it yet but i guess if i finish this
one then master it and play it at least one time everyday, i'll get a lot done for my sweep picking technique.
what do you think ? if you have any other approach or suggestions let me know.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 15 2018, 08:14 PM) *
The improvisation exercise is also a good step forward. If you compare this new video with the previous now, you'll notice that your phrases are now clearer and less predictable. This is the right direction, there is more work to do, but you are on the right way. In order to avoid boredom, we could go for a new backing, what do you say? This doesn't mean that you'll forget this one, but it's good to work on different backing to practice over different chords and grooves.

hmm i was thinking what if i could jam over some of the youth songs from where I live...
check these ones and let me know if they can be a proper learning material to jam or improvise over.
i know it might be too early to work on something like this, if you think so, then you can just choose what backing track I should start working on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0On7yBg7p8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDXS09SXkp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwlOOwboSCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avba5qEzKdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNaKi3L18IQ

Im also working on the Metallica Lesson you suggested a while back, ill post a take in the upcoming days.

Thanks man

This post has been edited by Anese: Jul 21 2018, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2018, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Anese! Great to see you focused! smile.gif

Everything sounds great here. You can continue with the Masters of Sweep lesson if this keep you motivated practicing, and I don't see why it can be a problem to dedicate some days/weeks to jam over those songs that you like. I've checked some of them and it's interesting, It sounds a bit "exotic" to me being from Argentina, and that makes it fresh.

Let's go for it and share here some jams to let me see how it goes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Aug 13 2018, 03:04 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 23 2018, 05:51 PM) *
Hi Anese! Great to see you focused! smile.gif

Everything sounds great here. You can continue with the Masters of Sweep lesson if this keep you motivated practicing, and I don't see why it can be a problem to dedicate some days/weeks to jam over those songs that you like. I've checked some of them and it's interesting, It sounds a bit "exotic" to me being from Argentina, and that makes it fresh.

Let's go for it and share here some jams to let me see how it goes.

Thanks Gabby
For the sweep lesson im almost two thirds through the lesson at 90 BPM.
also as i mentioned before I was working the Metallica for beginners lesson, here's a take I recorded yesterday
please check and let me know what you think.

I picked this song to start working on, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0On7yBg7p8
I dont think there's enough space left within the song to able to jam along with it,
but as a start i tried to figure out the three chords of the songs and they are "D major at 5th firth, G major at 10th fret and A major at 5th fret"
do those chords sound right ?

I uploaded a part of the song where I jam along with it by strumming those chords. I added some tremolo to spice it up a little bit.
have a listen and let me know what you think.
Attached File  blady_.mp3 ( 3.01MB ) Number of downloads: 116

Thanks man

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2018, 10:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Anese! Great job here!!

Metallica style lesson is very close. The rhythm sections sound very good, There are not relevant issues there to fix, well done!!

The solo part is not bad but there are a few details to fix. The lick at 01:13 can sound more precise, and the bend at 00:18 is not reaching the right pitch. I would also try to make those vibratos sound less nervous, and more related with the tempo of the track. Your vibrato technique is not bad, but it could sound more natural.

I would also dedicate some time to polish your tone for this one. I feel that it sound with too much high frecuencies, it needs more low end. What amp are you using and what settings?

Regarding the song, I've checked the first chords and these are: D minor, G minor and A major. I'm listening to the audio that you've uploaded and I can't hear your guitar there, is it there?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Aug 20 2018, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Gabby
Thanks for your comments

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 15 2018, 11:07 PM) *
The solo part is not bad but there are a few details to fix. The lick at 01:13 can sound more precise, and the bend at 00:18 is not reaching the right pitch. I would also try to make those vibratos sound less nervous, and more related with the tempo of the track. Your vibrato technique is not bad, but it could sound more natural.

I added another audio take please have a listen and let me know if the things you noted sound better now.

I would also dedicate some time to polish your tone for this one. I feel that it sound with too much high frecuencies, it needs more low end. What amp are you using and what settings?

I use Bias Fx as a plugin in reaper, I downloaded a preset for Metallica's Master of Puppets song, i think the preset still need some more work to sound tight.
anyhow from what you said that the sound has more high frequencies so all I did was that I reduces the high frequency knob in audio setting equalizer as you can see in the Amp screenshot highlighted by the red circle. (so does it sound better now ?)
if you want to recommend any more tweaks then check the screenshots of the other pedals in the chain.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Regarding the song, I've checked the first chords and these are: D minor, G minor and A major. I'm listening to the audio that you've uploaded and I can't hear your guitar there, is it there?

Yes those are the chords im using, i just got confused and typed Major instead of Minor for the D and G chords.
And yes my guitar is there. check the other file i uploaded where i raised the guitar track volume so it can be more obvious when you hear it. ( I added some tremolo and chorus effect to it).
if you still can't hear it check the original song here maybe that would help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0On7yBg7p8

Thanks man

Attached File(s)
Attached File  metallica_for_beginners_take_2.mp3 ( 2.99MB ) Number of downloads: 58
Attached File  blady2.mp3 ( 2.96MB ) Number of downloads: 56

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 20 2018, 11:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Anese! Great stuff here!!

The new Metallica take is a lot better. Your playing on the solo section is much more precise and enjoyable now. There are only some pitch issues with some of the power chords. Maybe there is a tuning issue... or too much pressure?

The tone is also better. I would try adding a bit of presence, and maybe mids from that Hetfield Match Amp since I feel that the tone loose a bit of definition. There are lots of sections there so you can experiment with many different variations. Even the "tone" setting from the Tube Screamer could be a good thing to move and see what happens. Try with slight changes, and compare all the time with the original lesson or any Metallica's song.

Also, your guitar could be louder in the mix.

Regarding the song, I can hear your guitar now. It's sounding very good!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Anese
Sep 9 2018, 04:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 21 2018, 12:31 AM) *
Hi Anese! Great stuff here!!

The new Metallica take is a lot better. Your playing on the solo section is much more precise and enjoyable now. There are only some pitch issues with some of the power chords. Maybe there is a tuning issue... or too much pressure?

The tone is also better. I would try adding a bit of presence, and maybe mids from that Hetfield Match Amp since I feel that the tone loose a bit of definition. There are lots of sections there so you can experiment with many different variations. Even the "tone" setting from the Tube Screamer could be a good thing to move and see what happens. Try with slight changes, and compare all the time with the original lesson or any Metallica's song.

Also, your guitar could be louder in the mix.

Regarding the song, I can hear your guitar now. It's sounding very good!

Hello Gabby

Thanks for your suggestions, here in this new metallica style take I added some mids and presence and i lowered the level in the tube screamer pedal, Please check and let me know if you have any comments. Attached File  Metallica_style_.mp3 ( 2.8MB ) Number of downloads: 126

As for the song Im working on, now I know that the chords are D minor, G minor and A major, now how can know in which Key the song is ? and what scales should I experiment with ?

Also I recorded another part of the Sweep picking lesson.
here's first part which you previously checked in this thread.

and here's the next part.

you might notice the that tone sound different in this part from the previous one, i had to raise the gain because in this part there are bends with long sustain.

Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2018, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great stuff here!

Metallica's lesson sounds better now! I still feel that maybe a different amp could give you a bigger sound, but it's good by now. I recommend you to dedicate some time every day, maybe at the beginning of your sessions (with fresh ears) to polish your tone.

Regarding the chords and knowing the key, please check out this thread: LINK.

The Sweep Picking lesson is going really well! I can notice that you are starting to feel more comfortable with the technique. I don't notice any issue with your technique, just keep on the great job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:32 PM