2 Pages V   1 2 >  
That Moment When
Phil66
May 24 2015, 06:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Someone asks you to show them what you can play on guitar then continues to ask "can you play xxxxxx, can you play xxxxx?"

What do you do? If you strum some campfire songs they aren't really recognisable without singing. If you play something you've learnt on GMC they won't know it.

I've always wanted a "party piece" with some rhythm and fills to get people clapping. Nothing they would recognise but would connect with.

Any of you know anything with tab available?

I hope you get what I'm asking here rolleyes.gif

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 25 2015, 08:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 24 2015, 06:55 PM
Learning Roadie
phil, as i can remember, the whole part of people's singed songs are composed about 3 chords ( and a large of them share the same)
but i do not remember those chords .

with 3 chords you can make people singing and clapping for hours......

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks Laurent,

I want something that is a foot tapper where people listen and enjoy it. Something just to show I can play something catchy and tuneful. It needs to be simple too wink.gif I don't just want to strum a basic 4/4 as it can be boring. I've heard things before where a solo artist plays a chord followed by some licks then chords then licks. I just don't seem to be able to come up with anything.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 24 2015, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
This is one of the reasons it's important to learn music, not just guitar parts.
Do you sing? At all? you don't have to be good to impress your friends and family.
There's literally 10s of thousands of 3 chord songs in all eras. What do ya like?

I don't know how old you are so I don't know your demographic but I'm guessing you and your friends probably know a Zep song or two, maybe some Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc.? This stuff has great melody and harmony (which you need for solo guitar arrangements) and is not too hard to learn.

Here's a bone simple version of Norwegian Wood ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezolKX99ghI
Here's a cool version of Kashmir (in DADGAD tuning) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSqq73Vjq5k

*What you don't want to do *unless they're all guitar players* is pick riff based metal tunes that aren't on the radio.
Also, learn the entire song, not just part of it. Nothing is more off-putting to a listener than the performer not knowing the bridge or the last verse.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 24 2015, 07:34 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks Ken,

I'm 49 years old, the scenario I'm thinking of is when someone comes to our house with my 76 year old mom, and she says something like "Philip plays guitar don't you Philip?" and I say, "Well, nothing that you'd know really" and then the inevitable comes, "oh stop being shy and play something". Or you're visiting someone and they walk in the room with an acoustic and say, "Play us something Phil". We've all been there and it would be nice for shy people like me to give a little tune then say, "ok that's all folks".

I thought maybe something along the lines from 1:28 in the video below but much simplified.

That sort of thing, catchy, foot tappin stuff but simplified.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
May 24 2015, 08:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
some double stop style stuff maybe? I would just play some hendrix like 'wind cries mary' or something like that.

* Damn, now I wanna watch crossraods again cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2015, 08:12 PM
I know it's cheesy but I love that film biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 24 2015, 08:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Cool topic Phil! smile.gif

To me the best bet would be to play an evergreen song which everyone knows (for example something by the Beatles) where both melody and rhythm and played at the same time in acoustic guitar arrangement.

The blues stuff from crossroads clip is also a good idea.
Maybe check out some of acoustic blues lessons here on GMC to get down some cool patterns which you can play in 12 bar blues type of progression :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Expand...c-12-Bar-Blues/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Quick-Change-Blues-in-A/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Fingerstyle-Blues-2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Finger...Blues-Patterns/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Fingerstyle-Blues-3/

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks everyone, it doesn't happen often but I don't want to crawl away from this scenario any more laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 25 2015, 12:01 AM
Instructor
Maybe you need this... tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 25 2015, 04:36 AM
OK, so you're around my age.
Personally, I'd recommend a few easy classical pieces. They're 1) pretty, 2) generally really good music and 3) impressive.

These are in TAB as well as standard notation ... http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Guitar-Inter...ical+guitar+tab
There's a ton of books like this.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 25 2015, 07:59 PM
Nice one Gab,

I smiled when I saw you appear laugh.gif Thing is I can't sing, they won't want to sing, they just want me to play something and strumming four chords isn't enough, I know I see a lot of buskers playing the same chords over and over with different rhythms and singing. I usually manage to change the subject and distract them away from it but I need a little party piece to shut them up cool.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

Cheers

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 25 2015, 12:01 AM) *
Maybe you need this... tongue.gif

Thanks Ken but I'm struggling with a pick never mind using all fingers and thumb blink.gif

Thanks for your input though smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 25 2015, 04:36 AM) *
OK, so you're around my age.
Personally, I'd recommend a few easy classical pieces. They're 1) pretty, 2) generally really good music and 3) impressive.

These are in TAB as well as standard notation ... http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Guitar-Inter...ical+guitar+tab
There's a ton of books like this.

Thanks Bogdan,

Some of those look great. Then I can just say I don't know any pop songs laugh.gif

Cheers

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 24 2015, 08:44 PM) *
Cool topic Phil! smile.gif

To me the best bet would be to play an evergreen song which everyone knows (for example something by the Beatles) where both melody and rhythm and played at the same time in acoustic guitar arrangement.

The blues stuff from crossroads clip is also a good idea.
Maybe check out some of acoustic blues lessons here on GMC to get down some cool patterns which you can play in 12 bar blues type of progression :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Expand...c-12-Bar-Blues/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Quick-Change-Blues-in-A/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Fingerstyle-Blues-2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Finger...Blues-Patterns/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Fingerstyle-Blues-3/

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 28 2015, 08:31 PM
BTW - I was in this situation the on a gig recently. We were preparing for the sound check etc and there was a huge concert piano in the club (the club is called Jazz Bar) and I just couldn't resist. I took up and played stuff I remember on the piano which is mostly a few Beatles songs and a really simple boogie woogie groove. Now what happened is that I was jamming/playing the Imagine by John Lennon and it was going well. Then the singer got his acoustic guitar out and started jamming along and singing. The issue? I never learned bridge/chorus section laugh.gif

Damn it was annoying, down putting and simply stupid - clear example why we should always learn "full" songs or not learn them at all.

Positive side? I've been practicing the song on piano for a few days and now I can play it in full. There are mistakes to fix and technique but at least I now know all the sections etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2015, 08:54 PM
rolleyes.gif

I always thought it would be good to learn 50 famous intros but then I know someone will say, "Oh go on, play that one please" blink.gif unsure.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 28 2015, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 28 2015, 09:54 PM) *
rolleyes.gif

I always thought it would be good to learn 50 famous intros but then I know someone will say, "Oh go on, play that one please" blink.gif unsure.gif laugh.gif

Hahah Phil the first thing that I imagined when you wrote this was :

The scene at the rehearsal/club with a lot of friends and a guitarist teasing everone with the 50 intros with "too bad I don't know the rest of it" each time laugh.gif

Now when it comes to teasing, a first guitarist in the band I was playing with back in the days had a great sense of humor smile.gif

We were playing a RHCP cover repertoire at that time.

He started playing the intro to this song:

....and then just moved to playing the intro of the song "Otherside" and we played the full song :

His thinking behind it was (almost exact words) : "Hey guys, what do you think I play this intro before Otherside, both are in the same key and gothic chicks in the audience are going to die when they hear it. It is like hymn for them (Bright eyes)." laugh.gif

I must say that it actually worked and you can hear screams in the intro and then weird silence hehehehe

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2015, 09:27 PM
laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Slimfinger
Jun 1 2015, 08:30 PM
Phil

You described what I have been going thru perfectly.

I go over to my parents to play the guitar ( to try and showoff ) but all I do is noodle because I cant sing.

I try to play popular 3 and 4 chord songs but my brother interjects , that sounded like the last song , cause I am not singing.

I started practicing acoustic blues, because , you don't really have to sing with that steady bass , I still am not great but that is besides the point.

I have never been into Electric because it seems everyone needs a rhythm track or something else , not to mention all the extra money on gadgets that I wold be wanting to buy, pedals etc

There is nothing wrong with Electric , its just not for me.

I have been practicing some songs and just singing ( no matter what it sounds like ) and I can here the song this way.

I would say to give singing a go with 3 and chord songs. Im working on Maggie may currently, I think it is pretty easy but I use a thumbpick and have to work on my strumming with the index.

Anyways, just wanted to pop in and give you my 2 cents

Slimfinger

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 1 2015, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (Slimfinger @ Jun 1 2015, 12:30 PM) *
I started practicing acoustic blues, because , you don't really have to sing with that steady bass , I still am not great but that is besides the point.

Anyways, just wanted to pop in and give you my 2 cents

Slimfinger

And a great .02 it is!
My first really good guitar teacher started me off (after the basic open chord stuff) with acoustic blues.
They were super simple but they had a melody and accompaniment built into them.
As basic as they were, it was a song. And folks - parents, friends, relations, etc. - were actually impressed.

*IMO a guitar player or a piano player should be able to play solo for about 45 minutes to an hour by themselves (after you've been studying maybe a couple of years). Honestly, if you can't do that you're wasting the instruments potential.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 1 2015, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 1 2015, 08:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 1 2015, 08:41 PM) *
*IMO a guitar player or a piano player should be able to play solo for about 45 minutes to an hour by themselves (after you've been studying maybe a couple of years). Honestly, if you can't do that you're wasting the instruments potential.

Totally! That's a great point.
Im completely in that 'wasting the instruments potential' group, unfortunately.
I was watching some youtube demos of telecasters recently and the first 60 seconds of this video, I thought, was simply fantastic. I wish I could play like this -

Ken, I'll wager you could play that kind of stuff all day long without breaking a sweat!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 1 2015, 09:17 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 1 2015, 08:59 PM) *
Totally! That's a great point.
Im completely in that 'wasting the instruments potential' group, unfortunately.
I was watching some youtube demos of telecasters recently and the first 60 seconds of this video, I thought, was simply fantastic. I wish I could play like this -

Ken, I'll wager you could play that kind of stuff all day long without breaking a sweat!

I'm completely wasting the instruments potential more than you are Scott but it's a hobby. Not all fishermen catch a lot of fish wink.gif laugh.gif

I get enjoyment from it anyway and that's the main thing. cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:51 AM