15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
How Have You Improved In The Last Week?
FretDancer69
Jul 30 2007, 04:43 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jul 29 2007, 08:58 PM) *
Dude, you shouldnt let guitar control your life....You should be spending more time with your family and friends!It's summer vacation man!(It's also pretty bad for your body not doing anything active). wink.gif

Your guitar accomplishments are great though!

(I didn't mean any offence in that first part, just saying what I think). smile.gif

lol laugh.gif , yea you are very right. But dont worry, me and my family go to our camp house like 30 minutes from here and its great there. I take my friends and we play some paintball, soccer, etc. Thanks for your concern biggrin.gif smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 30 2007, 11:56 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 29 2007, 03:10 PM) *
Never seen any vids of you, Andrew. Post some lessons? smile.gif

One day soon smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 8 2007, 07:55 PM
Get to da Chopper!
i thort id post because this week i finally got out of my 'lazy chair' and i learned the five pentatonic positions. I've always been so lazy this way- ill see a solo i want to play and work my ass off till iv got it down...but i could never be bothered to learn any scale patterns- well i learned the first pentatonic pattern but thats it.

<<UNTILL NOW MWHAHAHA>>

Maybe my improv will stop be soo lame now. Hell its not that much of an improvement but im pleased that it'll help more improvement follow shortly. > Me thinks......

+Quote Post
kahall
Aug 9 2007, 05:36 AM
Learning Roadie
First progress report for me: It has been 13 weeks and some change since I bought a guitar and signed up here. I played the guitar a little when I was very young so I am a beginner, with no rhythm and no musical background or knowledge at all. I could play twinkle twinkle little star and do one of the scales that's not even mentioned here that I have seen. During this time I have missed maybe a week's total of not practicing for at least 2 hours a day for various reasons.

I still cannot do more than 60 bpm with any consistency but I am making progress in that area since some nights I can go to 65. ;-) But tonight I did have a breakthrough and for some reason I feel the need to make note of it here. While practicing Gabriel's "Joe Satriani Style Rock" lesson I suddenly was able to have rhythm…uhh make rhythm, no I mean keep rhythm with the backing track and Gabriel. For my money that lesson is the best one on the site at this time for someone like me to actually feel it (?), with Pavels "Blues Medal" Lesson in a close 2nd for learning how to move around the fret board, timing and variety. Noting it here in case there are any other impatient newbie's out there who at times do not think any progress will ever come from practicing. 13 weeks seems like only yesterday...

Snort…I got some rhythm tonight, and yes I still hate the nome. Drives me crazy. How am I supposed to concentrate with all that beeping going on? /Stupid!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 9 2007, 06:13 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Aug 8 2007, 10:36 PM) *
First progress report for me: It has been 13 weeks and some change since I bought a guitar and signed up here. I played the guitar a little when I was very young so I am a beginner, with no rhythm and no musical background or knowledge at all. I could play twinkle twinkle little star and do one of the scales that's not even mentioned here that I have seen. During this time I have missed maybe a week's total of not practicing for at least 2 hours a day for various reasons.

I still cannot do more than 60 bpm with any consistency but I am making progress in that area since some nights I can go to 65. ;-) But tonight I did have a breakthrough and for some reason I feel the need to make note of it here. While practicing Gabriel's "Joe Satriani Style Rock" lesson I suddenly was able to have rhythm…uhh make rhythm, no I mean keep rhythm with the backing track and Gabriel. For my money that lesson is the best one on the site at this time for someone like me to actually feel it (?), with Pavels "Blues Medal" Lesson in a close 2nd for learning how to move around the fret board, timing and variety. Noting it here in case there are any other impatient newbie's out there who at times do not think any progress will ever come from practicing. 13 weeks seems like only yesterday...

Snort…I got some rhythm tonight, and yes I still hate the nome. Drives me crazy. How am I supposed to concentrate with all that beeping going on? /Stupid!

its good to know that even if its little and slow, its still progress. Keep practicing hard.

Yeah i used to hate the metronome! But when you really want to achieve speed, you'll find that its a very addictive tool. It just takes time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lefty01
Aug 9 2007, 07:33 AM
This week has been a great breakthrough of sorts. I finally got the "CAGED" chords down...moving smoothly from one to the other, and able to mix them up. This has opened-up a ton of songs for me to play. My bending (in pitch) has improved, and knowing the notes on the neck too. Still got tons to learn, but this week I am seeing more improvement than ever.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 9 2007, 07:29 PM
I've not really been improving much in the last few weeks, I've been doing a good solid 5 hours of metronome work each day but it doesn't seem to do me any good.

I play everything I do along with the metronome/computer in guitar pro, I have 2 warmup patterns I run through, which are a simple 1234 pattern verticle all the way along the neck up the the 12 fret at 70bpm, which I do 10 times, and then the first pattern on pavels alternate picking 1 at 70bpm, which I do 100 times through. I'm then doing pavels alternate picking 1 and hand control lessons in guitar pro at 70bpm over and over and over and over to get them perfect. After I've finished my 5 hour routine I usually then just jam about for a bit. I want to get my alternate picking up to a really high standard before I attempt any legato or sweeping, but for some reason it's just not happening.

When I speed up I'm stuck in the 110 to 120bpm area playing 16th notes, where I have been for a long time now. I can't seem to get over that hump.

+Quote Post
AudunESP
Aug 9 2007, 09:18 PM
In this week (i count from friday when i quit summerjob to thursday today, so its not actually a week though) ive bin improving my theory and my musical intelligence nearly more than i did all those years ive bin playing (seriously!), my improvisations are 10 times better, more thoughtfull and with lots of more feeling. Now i can play over a pentatonic scale without any of those "improvisations bloopers", when i play something that sounds STUPID and "not cool". I also nearly mastered the Winding Roads solo, and i've promised all my friends that ill play it PERFECTLY at the end of the vacation. Today i started practicing sweep-picking, so i hope ill master that some day.

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 9 2007, 09:20 PM
my 3 string sweeps got better

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 10 2007, 05:02 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 9 2007, 02:20 PM) *
my 3 string sweeps got better

yeah, same here. After Pavel's review of my sweeps ive been practicing his first sweeping lesson alot and have improved cleaningness and speed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 10 2007, 05:20 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Aug 10 2007, 12:02 AM) *
yeah, same here. After Pavel's review of my sweeps ive been practicing his first sweeping lesson alot and have improved cleaningness and speed.

i should post my sweeps to so pavel can help me too smile.gif

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 10 2007, 05:21 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 10 2007, 12:20 AM) *

Yes you should biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 10 2007, 05:22 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 10 2007, 12:21 AM) *
Yes you should biggrin.gif

ok i will tomorrow when i post my part for the lydian collab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 10 2007, 05:36 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 10 2007, 12:22 AM) *
ok i will tomorrow when i post my part for the lydian collab

Cool
I look forward to hearing it. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 10 2007, 06:39 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 9 2007, 10:20 PM) *

yeah you should dude. But you better be ready... laugh.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 14 2007, 07:13 AM
Get to da Chopper!
well since my last post, (not a week ago but hey i've achieved dammit!) i decided that i wanted to turn my picking hand into a downpicking machine gun. Even though i want to be able to solo with the best of them (some day...) i decided i'd work on making my riffs cleaner and more aggressive after reading a bunch of interviews of some of my favourite axemen. So i'm basically taking all the riffs that have that bottom string pedal note (withouth the triplet feel) , trying to mix in some string skipping also for the ultimate hand burner, and playing them with strict downpicking ( i've always cheated and used alternate) over a metronome with a constantly increasing tempo. I play till burnout then pick up the exercise a little later. Starting to see results, and i guess this will help my metal rhythm playing tenfold - or so the internet implies huh.gif .

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 14 2007, 08:38 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
If you want to improve Downpicking, Master Of Puppets riffs are excellent practice for speed and stamina, i played that song so much till my hand went numb, but my downpicking improved alot,t in my oppinion is very good, i can do it quite fast and clean, its defiently worth the practice, your riffs will become heavier sounding and leave your foes beggin for more!!!

Also, on any given metallica album, theres always like 3 or 4 songs whose riffs provide excellent downpicking style stuff, same goes with megadeth.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 14 2007, 06:03 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 14 2007, 08:38 AM) *
If you want to improve Downpicking, Master Of Puppets riffs are excellent practice for speed and stamina, i played that song so much till my hand went numb, but my downpicking improved alot,t in my oppinion is very good, i can do it quite fast and clean, its defiently worth the practice, your riffs will become heavier sounding and leave your foes beggin for more!!!

Also, on any given metallica album, theres always like 3 or 4 songs whose riffs provide excellent downpicking style stuff, same goes with megadeth.

Yep I'm a big fan wink.gif Songs like that are the reason im doing it lol. It'd be nice to make peoples heads turn just by playing a riff you know? instead of doing some squealing solo- why isn't the riff getting the same respect? Some serious face melting is going down once i get my downpicking up to scratch!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 16 2007, 07:32 AM
YAY!!!

I can do 3-String Shapes from Pavel's 3-string Sweeping Lessons up to 70 bpm so far! Its perfectly clean! Im sure i can do it faster, but i want to go slowly and step by step

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 16 2007, 01:36 PM
Learning Roadie
I've finally figured out how to hold the pick with two fingers instead of the three that I've been doing the whole time. It's really helping my accuracy I think, but I still need to get used to it. It feels pretty comfortable as well.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:35 PM