2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Buying New Guitar, Help :)
Martin la guitar...
Mar 1 2009, 07:53 PM
GMC:er
Im going to buy a les paul guitar. The reason why these are epiphones and not realy gibson is because i do not have enought money.

I do not know what to pick, the options are here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-P...863-i1149387.gc
or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-P...863-i1149387.gc

Info

Im going to play blues and rock on this guitar, so what do you think fits for that category. Do you have any experience from any of these guitars?

They are pretty much the same, the only difference is the look

The price of these guitars are the exact amount of money im willing to pay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Martin la guitarra: Mar 1 2009, 08:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 1 2009, 07:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have two les pauls and they excell in the Blues and Rock Genre!
We can't tell from the picture which guitars you showed us, so could you please post a store link or so?
And also we need the amount of money you're willing to spend!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 08:02 PM
Instructor
These guitars from the pics are not real original Les Paul. They are Epiphone, like economical and cheaper copy of Gibson guitars. They belong to Gibson company like Squier for Fender. But if you are going for the real Gibson then find some other sources and post here. Also tell us what Zakk suggested so we'll be able to recommend something accordingly.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 1 2009, 08:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Just a hint he said Les Paul not Gibson hehe tongue.gif
But yeah I like the first...I would get a real Gibson though.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
berko
Mar 1 2009, 08:09 PM
Additional info would be welcome,

but if you are hesitating between the two, I always liked the honeyburst finish better smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 1 2009, 08:10 PM
I've got a epiphone les paul standard plus hb which is probably quite similar to the one on your pictures. I'd say the guitar is ok for the price. It doesn't have any bad flaws but it's not an excellent guitar either, at least not for me. From what I've hear tokai makes excellent although more expensive les paul (copies). If you can, try them out before you buy them.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Mar 1 2009, 08:51 PM
i've updated the information now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 1 2009, 08:56 PM
Whatever you buy, I'd stick to a well known name brand. Your not going to have this guitar forever (you'll upgrade eventually), so you have to think re-sale. I think it would be hard to sell a Tokai, or Hagstrom, etc.

I would go for an Epi. I had one, wasn't the greatest. But when I owned it, I sure thought it was. For the price, it's great guitar. Go with the Honeyburst, the wood stain on the back is really awesome... and besides everyone has the Cherryburst.

Edit: Aren't those two links are the same?

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Mar 1 2009, 08:58 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 1 2009, 09:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Martin!

ive just bought a Les Paul 08 standard and i have put some thoughts on it below to give you a bit of heads up:

Neck: New asymmetrical shape is still quite chunky compared to my strat but very playable, high fret access is a bit of a challenge with the LP due to the extended neck tenon joint, the frets themselves are perfect for me as is the fingerboard, not too extreme but more finger room for a ham fisted fella like me!

Hardware: Very impressed with the standard of the new hardware which included loking tuners for better stability, new tone pots and a locking jack plug, still having a bit of trouble with string binding but its going to get some graphite at the next string change.

Sound: Probably the LP strongest point, the sustain is legendary and even though the new standard is chambered i dont think its lost any of its vibe, i have uploaded four tones to give you a bit of an idea on the range.

quality: Been reports of serious quality issues at gibson but i cant find a thing wrong with mine, very high standard of finish it is a joy to behold!

Hope this helps but as always, just go and play a load of guitars!!

Attached Image

Attached File  bridge_clean.wav ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 97

Attached File  bridge_dirty.wav ( 3.97MB ) Number of downloads: 128

Attached File  neck_clean.wav ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 85

Attached File  neck_dirty.wav ( 3.46MB ) Number of downloads: 90

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 1 2009, 09:22 PM
Instructor
i agree with Emir as he said the Epiphone's in not really a Gibson guitar's but if you dont have much money so
you can buy one and change the pickups .

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Mar 1 2009, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 1 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Hey Martin!

ive just bought a Les Paul 08 standard and i have put some thoughts on it below to give you a bit of heads up:

Neck: New asymmetrical shape is still quite chunky compared to my strat but very playable, high fret access is a bit of a challenge with the LP due to the extended neck tenon joint, the frets themselves are perfect for me as is the fingerboard, not too extreme but more finger room for a ham fisted fella like me!

Hardware: Very impressed with the standard of the new hardware which included loking tuners for better stability, new tone pots and a locking jack plug, still having a bit of trouble with string binding but its going to get some graphite at the next string change.

Sound: Probably the LP strongest point, the sustain is legendary and even though the new standard is chambered i dont think its lost any of its vibe, i have uploaded four tones to give you a bit of an idea on the range.

quality: Been reports of serious quality issues at gibson but i cant find a thing wrong with mine, very high standard of finish it is a joy to behold!

Hope this helps but as always, just go and play a load of guitars!!

Attached Image

Attached File  bridge_clean.wav ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 97

Attached File  bridge_dirty.wav ( 3.97MB ) Number of downloads: 128

Attached File  neck_clean.wav ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 85

Attached File  neck_dirty.wav ( 3.46MB ) Number of downloads: 90

Thank you so much!!!

QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Mar 1 2009, 08:56 PM) *
Edit: Aren't those two links are the same?

oh ye, didnt notice that. But you can change the guitar from Honey burst to vintage sunburst which are the guitars im looking for

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 1 2009, 09:59 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Those are standard epi les pauls, I usually like epiphone guitars but I must say I didn't like the standard epi LP much, at leat not the one I tried the other day. If I were you I'd go for the Epiphone LP Custom, around 500$, they play better.

Edit: I guess they are a bit more expensive. They are 500€ over here so I thought they went for 500$. Anyway, I'd save a bit more and get that one.

This post has been edited by Fran: Mar 1 2009, 10:02 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 1 2009, 10:31 PM
Also man, I would buy a used one in good cosmetic shape. You might even be able to get it for nearly half the price it was sold for. And again, you will always be able to sell it for what you paid if you keep it in good shape.

Yes, also change the pickups. I put some seymours in and it sounded awesome.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 1 2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor
Epiphones are great guitar. I've never played one i didnt like, but i agree with Fran.. the Custom is a huge step above the Epi LP standard.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 2 2009, 12:13 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 1 2009, 11:12 PM) *
Epiphones are great guitar. I've never played one i didnt like, but i agree with Fran.. the Custom is a huge step above the Epi LP standard.

Maybe it was just bad luck or not looking at the right places but I didn't notice any real difference between the custom and my standard plus. Maybe I just tried a bellow average custom or a above average standard plus. Or the plus makes the difference. huh.gif I don't like the pickups in my standard though. They sound muddy and lack harmonics. Haven't replaced them so far though. Putting Pickups for 200€ in a Guitar that is only worth 500€ might not be the best idea anyway. But on the other hand it would probably fix one of the weakest points of the guitar.

Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Mar 2 2009, 12:14 AM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Mar 2 2009, 02:31 PM
But are the epi standard good, or should I spend my money on a custom instead?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 2 2009, 03:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
The standards are good but the Customs are a tiny bit better (longer sustain, fuller tone). Both guitars are classical les pauls and great guitars for the money they cost...You might want to change their pickups someday for some high end pickups and you have a perfect LesPaul for little money!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Mar 2 2009, 03:30 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 2 2009, 03:08 PM) *
The standards are good but the Customs are a tiny bit better (longer sustain, fuller tone). Both guitars are classical les pauls and great guitars for the money they cost...You might want to change their pickups someday for some high end pickups and you have a perfect LesPaul for little money!

kk, thanks

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 2 2009, 03:31 PM
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Mar 2 2009, 02:31 PM) *
But are the epi standard good, or should I spend my money on a custom instead?
If you can afford it the EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD 1959 might be a good option. It comes with gibson burstbuckers (like the gibson ones), kluson tuners and so on. But it's also more expensive.
But yes I'd say that the Epi Standard are good. Not great, not bad but good.

This might interest you too: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/epipho...ul/feb-07/27726

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Mar 2 2009, 04:20 PM
QUOTE (29a @ Mar 2 2009, 03:31 PM) *
If you can afford it the EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD 1959 might be a good option. It comes with gibson burstbuckers (like the gibson ones), kluson tuners and so on. But it's also more expensive.
But yes I'd say that the Epi Standard are good. Not great, not bad but good.

This might interest you too: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/epipho...ul/feb-07/27726

Oh ok, thanks

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:29 PM