2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Peavey Vs Marshall Amp
Leorris
Dec 21 2008, 12:42 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys. I decided to buy myself a little christmas present, but I wonder should I buy a Marshall amp or Peavey. Before I say more I should tell you that I have only 150 euro in my pocket so...

Ok now the Peavey amp is 40w, has 2 different clean soundings and 3 types of distortion and reverb. It costs exactly 150 euro but it is second hand.

The Marshall is brand new but is only 15w, overdrive and reverb and is offered at the same price.

So my question is: should I take the second hand amp that sounds soooo much better or the brand new. Btw the Peavey looks pretty good and was used very little and besides my guitar is Peavey. I will appriciate any oppinion. Thank you biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RandomVictim
Dec 21 2008, 12:45 AM
what model amps are they, do you know?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear

Guitars
Eric Johnson Sig Strat
Gibson SG Special
Esp Ltd EC-1000 deluxe
Larivee Acoustic
Takamine 12 String

Amps
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Line 6 Spider III HD75 head
Line 6 Spider III Cab with C30 speakers
Vox AD30
Marshall MG10

Pedals
Line 6 Pod X3
Slash Sig Wah
Dan Electro Cool Cat Chorus
Dan Electro FAB Echo
BB PREAMP!
Boss MT-2
FBV Express

+Quote Post
Leorris
Dec 21 2008, 01:01 AM
Sorry I forgot about that tongue.gif

Peavey TransTube 112 EFX Combo 40w
Marshall: MG15CDR - Combo Reverb 15W(there was another 15w model the same as this one but with no reverb and I don't like it tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 21 2008, 01:02 AM
The Peavey will DESTROY that Marshall.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2008, 01:02 AM
Learning Roadie
Get the peavey. No question. Decent little amp actually.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Leorris
Dec 21 2008, 01:12 AM
Btw before I start this topic I was on the same oppinion but I needed some pro advise because it is my first amp and finally my effect won't buzz tongue.gif Btw a friend of mine liked the Peavey too and I'm afraid that he will buy it before me and then I will be screwed sad.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 21 2008, 01:14 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Peavy all the way!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
inertia
Dec 21 2008, 01:52 AM
Same as what everyone else said, stay away from the Marshall MG, it's one of the worst low end amps out there. I know because I used to have one wink.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 21 2008, 01:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Take the one that sounds better to your ears

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2008, 02:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (inertia @ Dec 20 2008, 07:52 PM) *
Same as what everyone else said, stay away from the Marshall MG, it's one of the worst low end amps out there. I know because I used to have one wink.gif

Coincidentally, the peavey is also one of the best low end amps out there.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 21 2008, 03:09 AM
Instructor
Peavy - no doubt. It's bigger, louder, has a tube in preamp section - what are you waiting for - get in the shop! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 21 2008, 03:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 21 2008, 01:54 AM) *
Take the one that sounds better to your ears

+1

If an amp gives you a great tone you're satisfied with, go for it!
The Peavey seem like the logical choice for you, though.. Since I haven't heard much good about this particular Marshall Amp.. I guess every good family has their black sheep tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Dec 21 2008, 03:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 21 2008, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (Leorris @ Dec 20 2008, 05:42 PM) *
Hi guys. I decided to buy myself a little christmas present, but I wonder should I buy a Marshall amp or Peavey. Before I say more I should tell you that I have only 150 euro in my pocket so...

Ok now the Peavey amp is 40w, has 2 different clean soundings and 3 types of distortion and reverb. It costs exactly 150 euro but it is second hand.

The Marshall is brand new but is only 15w, overdrive and reverb and is offered at the same price.

So my question is: should I take the second hand amp that sounds soooo much better or the brand new. Btw the Peavey looks pretty good and was used very little and besides my guitar is Peavey. I will appriciate any oppinion. Thank you biggrin.gif

Being a die hard Marshall user and fan I'd love to say the Marshall. However, the Peavey with the 1x12 will smoke the little 10" 15watt MG. Acctually I'm not really much of a solid state Marshall fan.

I know this wasn't one of your options but perhaps a used 1x12 Line 6 Spider could be had for about the same price as the peavey. Line 6's modeling smokes most regular solid state amps.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Leorris
Dec 21 2008, 12:41 PM
@ tommyboy: Yes I am a Marshall fan too and this is where my dillema came from tongue.gif

Anyway, I've decided and tomorrow I will buy the Peavey tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Leorris: Dec 21 2008, 12:41 PM

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Dec 21 2008, 01:02 PM
the Mg15 isnt a real marshall, its a piece of crap with a marshall sticker on it. Avoid like the plague!

Buy the peavey!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Dec 21 2008, 01:02 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 21 2008, 06:25 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Dec 21 2008, 06:02 AM) *
the Mg15 isnt a real marshall, its a piece of crap with a marshall sticker on it. Avoid like the plague!

Buy the peavey!

Real Marshall's are made in the UK. Not Korea or China! So MG's not real what so ever.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Dec 21 2008, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Real Marshall's are made in the UK. Not Korea or China! So MG's not real what so ever.

tommyboy

I know, those British marshalls are TONE machines, but the MG series... Bleh. my friend had one, and it sounded like mosquitos attacking!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Dec 21 2008, 06:32 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Leorris
Dec 21 2008, 06:38 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Dec 21 2008, 07:30 PM) *
I know, those British marshalls are TONE machines, but the MG series... Bleh. my friend had one, and it sounded like mosquitos attacking!

Indeed but believe me it is better than the PC, which lags, buzzes and makes totally awful sound biggrin.gif
I just hope that the Peavey will be still in the shop tomorow tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Dec 21 2008, 06:50 PM
Hey dude,

I would probably get the peavey. I have owned both, and I think the Peavey is better value, however it does not have a tube in the preamp. Preavey's Transtube is the same thing as Marshalls FDD. They are both decent amps for bedroom practice (who's going to spend $3000 on a tube amp, that they can't always crank?....ok probably me, just for those times when i can lol).

But I like the sound of a 12" speaker rather than a 10" or 8". Try the amps for yourself, and ask if you can go into a fairly small room and try them (like your bedroom). An amp will sound different in a huge warehouse like a guitar shop.

When buying amp, always get them to throw in something extra like a set of strings.... stick it to the man!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Leorris
Dec 21 2008, 07:15 PM
lol the guitar shops here are not so big biggrin.gif My favourite one is a little bigger than my bedroom but it is full of all sorts of instruments. So i believe that I got pretty much the same sound that i will get back home tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:04 PM