Story Of Stuff, Make sure you watch this!!!
Pavel
Dec 27 2007, 07:16 PM
Instructor
I'll jsut give you this link and you feel free to discuss: http://www.storyofstuff.com/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 27 2007, 07:33 PM
GMC:er
i sorta. wanna.. u kno.. shop.. my guitar isn't sleek enough.. i need a new 1...

Communism would solve the problem as well..

its not that im not a liberal.. its just these things wont happen over weeks or even months or years.. its impossible for us to go change we need to progress and find newer means of dealing with the problems rather than the entire would changing the way they live.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smikey2006: Dec 27 2007, 07:39 PM

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 27 2007, 08:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
That's a great initiative, too bad it all has to start at the bottom from personal involvement and interest to recycle etc. instead of beeing steered from the top, which probably will never happen since $$$ makes the world go round.

Consumption is a nesseccesity for modern economics but maybe when USA and EU will come to an understanding on how to save the climate we might get somewhere. That will be frightening times since the counterpart that may not be so interested to get in line for this, India and China, may be heading straight for a frontal collision.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Dec 27 2007, 07:33 PM) *
i sorta. wanna.. u kno.. shop.. my guitar isn't sleek enough.. i need a new 1...

Communism would solve the problem as well..

Yeah, you'd have one guitar to choose from wink.gif

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Dec 27 2007, 07:33 PM) *
its not that im not a liberal.. its just these things wont happen over weeks or even months or years.. its impossible for us to go change we need to progress and find newer means of dealing with the problems rather than the entire would changing the way they live.

And what would these newer means be?

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Dec 27 2007, 08:27 PM
brilliant movie. government should advertise it.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 27 2007, 08:37 PM
I hope enough people watch that to actually make a diffrence.

Iv'e been thinking about this the past months, even the past year I can say, just watching the way people around me live, did you ever stop to think about how we live today?

Personally, I think we live like machines these days, forgeting we are humans, most "decent" jobs today, and I use decent very lightly as it only means jobs that allow you to live at a good level of life, anyways those jobs require you to work 8-12(sometimes even more) hours a day! let's add to that a MINIMUM of 6 hours of sleep(ALOT of people sleep less than that, that's just unhealthy, and stupid, and most of all naive!)
and you get about 80% of you'r time is used on things you don't like and don't want to do! ussually the only time we get off this cycle is when we get sick, in other words, malfunction, and in alot of places you will just be replaced, like a flat tire!

And why do we sacrifice so much of our time? we hope that our children won't have to, that we will be able to provide for them enough so they won't need to get into this illogical cycle, but ussally our children grow up, and they get in the same situation as us, working 8-12 hours a day to make a living.

What does this has to do with this movie? everything, because those "jobs" are exactly the jobs she is talking about in the movie, working in companies that produce products, ussually unnecessery items, and if you don't work there, than you'r job is connected to it in some way or another, for example if you'r a Lawyer, than probably alot of you'r cases will have to do with the results of the production(People suing companies for pollution, car crashes, malfunctioning producs, ETC), and if you'r a doctor, than you will treat alot of dissaseas which are caused by chemicals which are used in the production!

What can we do about it? That I don't know, I wish someone will rise up and give a solution though.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 27 2007, 08:41 PM
Instructor
I knew you'll like the movie! A friend of mine gave me the link and i like it - it is done the way everybody can understand what she talks about...unfortunately the change is a pretty long process. It's like unlearning a bad habit in guitar playing. Ever tried that?? Well, it's almost the same sad.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 27 2007, 09:18 PM
"The Golden Arrow" biggrin.gif
"The Super-Toxins (logo)" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

But seriously, it really does make you think twice about the environment and comsumption. The video was very persuasive.

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Dec 28 2007, 10:28 AM
That's really awesome, and really persuasive. I enjoyed it a lot...I feel bad now for buying the PODx3 :S

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 28 2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the link.

It's terrible. I have been thinking about these things before. I know someone who bought EIGHT pair of shoes on ONE vacation. So many people nowdays have shopping as a hobby, it's horrible.
I have two pair of pants, two sweaters, two shirts, some t shirts, one pair of shoes I use normally, one pair of jogging shoes, one pair of winter shoes that I use. All of these are 1 to 5 years old and I have no plans buying any new clothes or shoes atm. But alot of others have shopping as a hobby, they buy new useless clothes every month. Every single month. People ask me howcome I have money all the time tongue.gif

I hope people can stop shopping for fun(well unless it's stuff for real hobbies like sports, music, art etc.)

This post has been edited by Robin: Dec 28 2007, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 28 2007, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Dec 29 2007, 05:18 AM) *
Thanks for the link.

It's terrible. I have been thinking about these things before. I know someone who bought EIGHT pair of shoes on ONE vacation. So many people nowdays have shopping as a hobby, it's horrible.
I have two pair of pants, two sweaters, two shirts, some t shirts, one pair of shoes I use normally, one pair of jogging shoes, one pair of winter shoes that I use. All of these are 1 to 5 years old and I have no plans buying any new clothes or shoes atm. But alot of others have shopping as a hobby, they buy new useless clothes every month. Every single month. People ask me howcome I have money all the time tongue.gif

I hope people can stop shopping for fun(well unless it's stuff for real hobbies like sports, music, art etc.)

EIGHT PAIRS OF SHOES??? I only have 1 pair sad.gif
I HATE shopping (unless it's for guitar/music CD's) mad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 28 2007, 09:54 PM
Instructor
I have 2 pairs and it actually took my mom a lot of hours to convince me getting that second pair biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I am not a big fan of shopping. I like online shopping the most - see all the specs of each product with reviews and than order it - that's the way to do it laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 28 2007, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 28 2007, 09:54 PM) *
it actually took my mom a lot of hours to convince me

Haha, my mom is like that too with everything.

"Why cant you get rid of that ugly old table? I'll pay for a new one".
I have a homemade table from the 80's or something haha. It's perfect, I wont waste wood by buying a new one.

QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Dec 28 2007, 09:51 PM) *
EIGHT PAIRS OF SHOES???

Yes. All bought during ONE vacation!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 28 2007, 11:35 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Dec 28 2007, 04:02 PM) *
Haha, my mom is like that too with everything.

Yes. All bought during ONE vacation!

That's crazy. They must have nothing better to spend their money on!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 28 2007, 11:51 PM
Great link pavel, thanks.

I agree that a lot of people consume way too much, even though some things were a bit exaggerated, I mean, I don't have to look any further than at myself. I mean, I buy cd's all the time for example, same goes with band t-shirts. And I buy a lot of other stuff aswell, and I'm still quite aware of these things imo.. So yeah, this is definetly an issue that needs to be dealt with.

And, Iluha: I know this doesn't solve the problem, but that working, sleeping, etc problem isn't a big problem if you work with something you enjoy, then those 8-12 hours aren't wasted. However, that's easy for me to say, when I'm just 18 and don't have to face the hard reality of making a living..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 29 2007, 12:59 AM
Instructor
The thing is - it can't be changed because 99,9% of people think like this: "Earth can take it for the next 100 years and by that time i will be dead and i don't care what will happen next! Right now i just need to earn money and enjoy it!" I mean - that's how people approach the problem so that's why they don't even see the problem sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Dec 29 2007, 02:52 AM
Everything is true

we all here maybe dont understand everything what she says..but there is nice explanations about the Computers a we all have one and we all see ..how thats work

even if we buy supr great Pc and the seller gonna tell us how easy and how long we can upgrade the Pc the true is after 3-5 years is every PC old and cannot be better like the new one

Weryy scary is how mutch taxes is going to war unsure.gif

We leave in Matrix and the bad part of this is people do not change until something realy big and bad happen

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Dec 31 2007, 09:18 AM
I'd love to try out one of them japanese toilets with that water squirt thing to wash your "waste department". Toilet paper is such a waste of trees IMO.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Dec 31 2007, 09:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 16 2008, 12:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Dec 31 2007, 09:18 AM) *
I'd love to try out one of them japanese toilets with that water squirt thing to wash your "waste department". Toilet paper is such a waste of trees IMO.

LOLZ...

serious now: I think that woman is very right. We waste to much, and I think it's very weird that people just don't mind throwing stuff away. If you throw it in the garbage can, OK, But I realy think it's stupid to throw your stuff on the ground. Unfortunatly that happens all the time... dry.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
erik
Feb 16 2008, 02:37 PM
I agreed on a lot of things in that movie, but I kept feeling sceptical about what she said.. Shure we need to get rid of our materialism, but when she got to the part about computers, I reacted a little.. She said that there was only a small little piece (the CPU) of the computer that changed, but that's just a lie.. It's not just the CPU that is improved, it is the whole computer. They don't change the motherboard just because people should buy new computers, they change it to allow new technologies such as faster data travel, more and faster USB-ports and lately the new connection type for graphic cards. Also there are bigger hard drives, more and faster RAM, new disc technologies (dvd burners for instance), new soundboards for better audio, new network techonoligies (a long time since they switched from the phone modem, but come on people! haven't the internet changed the world in a good way?) and there are new things coming all the time, that actually can be very good for our techonlogical development.

And secondly: she listed things that change all the time so you have to buy a new one to keep updated. One of those things was that we just buy new cars to keep up with the consumer arrow thingy. Cars get safer and safer all the time! It's not because the corporations tell people to buy them, its because they are safer! The save lifes for gods sake! And when most people buy a new car, they usually sell their old one or use it untill it breaks down. The used car marked is very normal, and not many people are stupid enough to thrash their old car if it still works and/or has a good potential to be fixed, thereby being sold at a fairly high price. Btw I totally agree that people should drive less and keep the cars of the world to a minimum. But blaiming the corporations and saying that new cars are just a fab? come on..

Don't get me wrong, I agreed on a lot in that movie and it's a great initiative! Please don't get the idea that I am against saving the environment, because I am not. It was just that I thought that video was stretching the truth a little, and I didn't believe everything she said. I'm just trying to be a little skeptical, and I don't like getting opinions thrown in my face consealed as facts. (once again: not saying that all her points was wrong, but some of them where a little overstated and some where just not entirely true)

edit: I'm a little afraid that people are going to get the wrong idea of my post since I just talked about what was negative. So: I agree on everything about the clothes and stuff, and basicly most things that you guys have posted. Just want to point out that not everything in the video is true.

This post has been edited by erik: Feb 16 2008, 02:43 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:36 AM