My First Upload
wakefield10
Mar 7 2008, 12:56 AM
GMC:er
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and although I've had my guitar for a few years I've only started playing it regularly in the last month. But since no one ever hears me play I figured this would be the best place so get some feedback, theres a few mistakes with bends and stuff but I oh well rolleyes.gif

I realize its not great or anything so I'd really like to here some honest opinions and some constructive criticism. tongue.gif

Ps: The sound probably isnt that good since I recorded it straight into garageband.

Thanks for listening,

Sharene

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Chris Evans
Mar 7 2008, 01:05 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
biggrin.gif well done, and thanks for uploading smile.gif

Sure theres some work there that you`ve mentioned but its all practice, try and be a little smoother from one note to the other without cutting them off so quickly, think of it as someone talking, the words are fluid and roll into each other without little breaks, did that make sense? Phrasing is something that I`m working on at the moment for the next beginner guide, hopefully may explain a little better what I`m saying.

nice job for your first upload, well done biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Mar 7 2008, 01:20 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Mar 7 2008, 12:05 AM) *
biggrin.gif well done, and thanks for uploading smile.gif

Sure theres some work there that you`ve mentioned but its all practice, try and be a little smoother from one note to the other without cutting them off so quickly, think of it as someone talking, the words are fluid and roll into each other without little breaks, did that make sense? Phrasing is something that I`m working on at the moment for the next beginner guide, hopefully may explain a little better what I`m saying.

nice job for your first upload, well done biggrin.gif

Don't worry you made perfect sense, I'll try to get things much smoother from now on. Can't wait for you're next lesson btw.

I figured out how to watch them now so it'll be much less hassle from now on. Sorry that you had to do all that converting and myspacing.

I'm really happy that I joined this site, I havn't really gotten into the video lessons too much yet since I find even some of the beginner ones quite hard, but I find the forum really useful especially all the uploads and collabs for getting ideas. Plus now I have somewhere to gauge my progress smile.gif (if any at all)

This post has been edited by wakefield10: Mar 7 2008, 01:20 AM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 7 2008, 01:22 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Just practice and you WILL improve without doubt smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 7 2008, 05:16 AM
thanks for uploading. Like you said, the bends need a little more strength or feel to it. I like the fact that you stayed in your "skill range" and didnt attempted to do fast stuff.

I also think that you should add very strong vibrato to long lasting notes, that will give it more feeling.

Also, if you're not using Alternate Picking, I recomend you start using strict Alternate Picking immediatly.

Remember, Practice practice practice! smile.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 7 2008, 05:36 AM
Singing Instructor
wont give you any advice for playing...me not a guitarist smile.gif...but you can try to put you keybord padin the midfle or try to spred it around and guitar shouid be in thye middle...becuse it is a solo on a guitar...so you can try that if you want..I think it would be better that way....:)and thanks for up louding....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Mar 7 2008, 06:24 AM
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Mar 7 2008, 04:36 AM) *
wont give you any advice for playing...me not a guitarist smile.gif...but you can try to put you keybord padin the midfle or try to spred it around and guitar shouid be in thye middle...becuse it is a solo on a guitar...so you can try that if you want..I think it would be better that way....:)and thanks for up louding....

Hi Nemanja,

I'm not really sure what you mean, sorry I'm not really very good at garageband sad.gif

btw fretdancer i do use alternate picking but I definitely do need some practice with accuracy

This post has been edited by wakefield10: Mar 7 2008, 06:31 AM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 7 2008, 06:33 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (wakefield10 @ Mar 7 2008, 06:24 AM) *
Hi Nemanja,

I'm not really sure what you mean, I'm not really very good at garageband

well your guitar is is far left.....and when solo is playd it is very rearly in the side of the sound picture....
I nevere workd on the garageband...but in every DAW..you have the pan option...taht means that you can move your recorded sound to wich side you want in your stereo image....hope that helps smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 7 2008, 06:34 AM
Singing Instructor
and yeah..put your guitar in the center....smile.gif

please give me some feedback if you understand...and if you have any other questions be glad to help if I can...smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nemanja: Mar 7 2008, 06:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Mar 7 2008, 06:42 AM
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Mar 7 2008, 05:34 AM) *
and yeah..put your guitar in the center....smile.gif

please give me some feedback if you understand...and if you have any other questions be glad to help if I can...smile.gif

oh right i get what you mean but it says that the backing track and guitar are both in the centre already dry.gif I'm really no good at this sort of stuff.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 7 2008, 06:57 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (wakefield10 @ Mar 7 2008, 06:42 AM) *
oh right i get what you mean but it says that the backing track and guitar are both in the centre already dry.gif I'm really no good at this sort of stuff.

backing is ok....only gitar is in the left side....it is not actually a problem...just a sugestion...but it is strange that it showes you that guitar is in the center.....try to play with the program a litlle bit, you will find out for shor what ehy hi si telling you that..and when it comes to paning if you are not shor put headphones....they will give you the vright sound immage..smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Angelica
Mar 7 2008, 12:39 PM
Great effort wakefield and thank you for uploading! I can understand the problem of lead voice on the left, for I use Garageband too sad.gif ... The ideas for the melody on the pentathonic are fine, just try practicing on bonding the notes one to another.... wink.gif
So, now that you've broken the ice, looking forward for your contribution to my "chick collab" idea and hope other girls will follow your example! (included me biggrin.gif)
cheers!
Angie

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 7 2008, 12:45 PM
As Smells said, you need to play a bit smoother when changing notes. I also think you need to add more vibrato, and work a bit on the bends, they are sometimes off key.
I think the phrasing is pretty good actually.
I would suggest you try some of Gabriels blues lessons and other slow solo lessons to improve vibrato, bending and phrasing smile.gif

Great job.

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Mar 7 2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks robin

I'll definitely look into some of grabriels lesson's, can you guys please give me any tips on how to get things smoother though, I'm not sure where to start.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 7 2008, 05:17 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I like how you've got a melody running through- i can hear the same idea cropping up here and there- and thats definitley a good thing..repetition is a fairly easy way to make good music.

One suggest i might throw in is to learn a lick or two. Im guessing that when you were playing this you just went from note to note trying to make it sound as good as you could, but a great way to spice it up would be to learn maybe two licks really well ( plenty of nice bluesy licks to choose from here) and try and bring them in to your playing.

Soon you'll be addicted and will want more and more licks to build up your library- and your recordings will sound ace.

I think i saw vibrato mentioned aswell- thats something worth working on too because you'll be using it alot smile.gif

All in all- great stuff, id be mighty proud with that wink.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 7 2008, 05:51 PM
QUOTE (wakefield10 @ Mar 7 2008, 05:10 PM) *
can you guys please give me any tips on how to get things smoother though, I'm not sure where to start.

Try to hold the notes longer before changing. Hmm, im not sure how to explain that further, sorry laugh.gif
Hope it helps anyway biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Mar 7 2008, 05:58 PM
Hey deeproots,
Thanks for the feedback it's really encouraging, I was doing exactly what you said just going from note to note but I will try and learn some licks for next time. smile.gif

So Robin basically I just have to get my fingers faster so I can stay on a note longer and still get to the other in time?

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 7 2008, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (wakefield10 @ Mar 7 2008, 05:58 PM) *
Hey deeproots,
Thanks for the feedback it's really encouraging, I was doing exactly what you said just going from note to note but I will try and learn some licks for next time. smile.gif

So Robin basically I just have to get my fingers faster so I can stay on a note longer and still get to the other in time?

Yeah something like that smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 8 2008, 10:14 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks for sharing smile.gif
Well done on a first upload..
The others here have pointed out what you need to work on so I'll leave commenting on that smile.gif

Please upload more when you've recorded other stuff smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Apr 8 2008, 10:16 AM

+Quote Post
skipdaflip
Apr 8 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for upping... I'm also a student and still learning, but I think the comments up here said enough.
I liked it and like to see more of you! (Just what Audiopaal said...)

--------------------
Can anyone rate me?

Guitars:
• Ibanez S5470 TKR Prestige
• Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Air Norton & Dimarzio Tone Zone
• Washburn D10SCE WALNUT DREADNOUGHT SOLID TOP
• Some kind of cheap Guitar...

Amps:
MARSHALL JTM30

Guitar Gear:
Line6 X3 Live
Boss AC-3

Gear:
Edirol UA-25 24 bit/96 kHz USB Audio Capture
Edirol PC-50 MIDI Keyboard Controller
Roland HP203-ERW
Behringer B-1

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:17 PM