Repertoir, learning full songs
avel
Jun 25 2014, 05:18 PM
GMC:er
this is more of a coment but i would like youre opinion.......i was wondering why lesosns arent done in full lets say 2 and a half 3 minute songs? the reason i says this is becasue me as im learning some vids or lesons are only 3o second 1 minute long for example there is a video lesson on her calle skunk funk i would learn much better learning a whole song than just 30 seconds of it it just leaves me half way but what do u think of my sugestion thanks salutes

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 25 2014, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
The instructors are obviously going to answer this question best because they are the ones making the lessons but if I was a instructor I would be thinking of it this way

1) some people get put off when the lesson is really long

2)the time it takes for instructors to create all the parts of a lesson can take some time and work and possibly don't have the time to make long lessons when they are involved in other musical projects

3)Lesson are based on certain techniques or styles of bands ect and basically short lessons get the point across and the learner
can take what they have learned and use it in there own playing.

4)With the theory part of the lesson the learner can use this and try to compose there own riffs,melodies harmonies ect

5)With a 30 second lesson the learner is going to get the same out of it in which he or she would with a 3 minute lesson

Of course these are just my opinions smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 25 2014, 06:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
Did you looked here, because you can find long songs:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-lessons/songs/

I'm agree with what liveOASISforever said smile.gif

Now I will tell you my opinion and why I like short lessons smile.gif A lesson has as goal to learn us some techniques. I prefer to learn a short lesson and after that to apply all these techniques and details in my improvisations. It's a fast way to learn more things and makes me able to use them very quickly. A lesson even if has just 30 seconds or 1 minute has alot details and make you to spend a lot of time until it will be done. Of course this is just my personal opinion. I spend most of my time working on my improvisations and a short and fast way to learn techniques help me very much wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 25 2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor
In terms of learning a new technique, a short lesson can pack in a lot of information - enough to give the student to learn.

But from a performance point of view, it's more fun to play through longer pieces of music so I can totally understand your point of view.

When it comes to more simple techniques, it probably doesn't feel so fulfilling to play something easy for less than a minute. A harder piece would feel more of a challenge though.

I guess it comes down to what the lesson contains.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 26 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
I think liveOASISfirever, Ben and Monica have said pretty much all there is to it smile.gif

To sum it up - in order to learn a specific something - technique, phrasing concept, applied theory etc, you need to FOCUS, in order to get that something under your thumb properly. Focusing on something small is a lot easier than focusing on something large and the purpose here, is to learn that small something and then turn it into something large - implementing in your own creations or seeing it applied in a song you like and being able to use it because you have understood it and mastered it smile.gif

Most people are indifferent to detail - it's not something you can blame them for, because attention to detail comes with focus power and in depth analysis of what you are doing, awareness and all the things which you develop IN TIME. So, you have all the chances to spend a lot of time on 30 seconds of music if you want to nail all the details properly and learn how to make those 30 seconds memorable - even if maybe there's no more than 15-20 notes involved...

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 26 2014, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:40 PM