Hammer Ons Help
holoshreder
Jan 9 2008, 04:43 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys i have ahuge problem with hammer ons iv been playing for a month now and i just got in GMC
and my major problem is hammer ons

what happens is that i cant apply enough stranght to produce a note and often my rign and pinky finger
constantly go off the fret or the string that im hamering

i am trying the litle finger work out lesson , and i cant do it because my lack of strenght oh god its so frustrating

any tips?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
MickeM
Jan 9 2008, 04:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (holoshreder @ Jan 9 2008, 04:43 PM) *
Hey guys i have ahuge problem with hammer ons iv been playing for a month now and i just got in GMC
and my major problem is hammer ons

what happens is that i cant apply enough stranght to produce a note and often my rign and pinky finger
constantly go off the fret or the string that im hamering

i am trying the litle finger work out lesson , and i cant do it because my lack of strenght oh god its so frustrating

any tips?

Try with your thumb placed behing the neck for support, then the force comes from way up your arm. I you hold the neck like a baseball bat your fingers will suffer more from feeling weak.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
Jan 9 2008, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's so much about strength, more about technique. I think you just need alot of practice and eventually you'll get it right.

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Jan 9 2008, 05:20 PM
i realy want to learn everything related to metal
so that i can be able to do fast and fluid solos and hammer ons are critical for it
i know that with practice comes perfection but i want to make sure that i am practicing correctly

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2008, 05:22 PM
QUOTE (holoshreder @ Jan 9 2008, 04:20 PM) *
i realy want to learn everything related to metal
so that i can be able to do fast and fluid solos and hammer ons are critical for it
i know that with practice comes perfection but i want to make sure that i am practicing correctly

Can you post a video of you playing it so we can see how you're sat and your hand position and everything like that?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 9 2008, 05:29 PM
Instructor
You are not doing it properly m8. Try this, it will help a lot:

- Sit up straight
- Your shoulders on the same height
- Get your back straight
- Take the guitar
- Place the guitar on the right leg
- Elbow of your left hand needs to be close with the body
- Put your left thumb on the back of the neck
- Fret the C note on the 5th fret of the G string
- Make sure your index finger frets the note just before the 5th fret
- Make sure that the only contact with the neck are the tip of the index finger and the upper part of the thumb.
- Make sure that you are sitting properly again
- Make sure that you can press D note (7th fret) with your ring finger
- While holding LIGHTLY the C note with the index, press LIGHTLY the D note with your ring finger just AFTER the 7th fret. Don't worry if you don't make a sound, just fret the 7th fret on spot (close to the fret).
- Repeat the fretting several times slowly
- Repeat the hammer on again, but this time with some more force

There you have it wink.gif

Repeat the exercise throughout the neck with all your fingers. Take your time and don't rush it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Jan 9 2008, 06:08 PM
smile.gif thx for the tips

i cant post a video of me for now but give me a couple of days and i will

and i cant play guitar right now because my thumb is hurting SO FRICKING BAD

but i will practice this insanly laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2008, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (holoshreder @ Jan 9 2008, 05:08 PM) *
smile.gif thx for the tips

i cant post a video of me for now but give me a couple of days and i will

and i cant play guitar right now because my thumb is hurting SO FRICKING BAD

but i will practice this insanly laugh.gif

Make sure you are relaxed whilst playing. Thumb hurting is not a good sign. Just play really relaxed. Do not strain your arms or tense them to stupid levels otherwise you'll get bad injuries. Good look with the hammer ons though. Trust me you'll get them down.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:37 AM