Snake Fm Powered Mixer To Powered Monitors
timrobwall
Dec 22 2011, 05:00 AM
GMC:er
Technical, live sound question: I am using the return on a snake to send signal from a powered mixer to powered stage monitors. Was told that i cannot use a standard snake for this, but must have a powered snake. Is there any way you can configure this arrangement so that I DON'T need to purchase an expensive powered snake -- or is that essential? Thanx.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 11:25 AM
Instructor
If stage monitors are active, there is no reason to get powered snake there (unless they draw power from the very same cable). Usually active monitors have separate AC cable.

If you tell us precisely what gear is in question, perhaps I can provide more detailed answer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 22 2011, 11:26 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Dec 22 2011, 07:53 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 22 2011, 10:25 AM) *
If stage monitors are active, there is no reason to get powered snake there (unless they draw power from the very same cable). Usually active monitors have separate AC cable.

If you tell us precisely what gear is in question, perhaps I can provide more detailed answer.

Hi Ivan: Mackie 808s powered mixer out from TRS/1/4" monitor out into un-powered snake return to two Peavey PV115 PM powered 2-way stage monitors and one powered Crate monitor (all daisy chained) using standard instrument cable to connect the monitors and coming out from the Mackie. Yes, all the monitors have independent, separate AC cords. -- Tim

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor
Does it work? I mean, is there a signal from the mixer on the monitors?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 22 2011, 11:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
you do not need to send a powered signal( might blow something) to a powered speakers
should be a unpowered( parallel) signal out -Plugthat into unpowered snake( taking signal only to powered speakers)

after looking at it , the front panel has to send the signal to the amp (lower right corner, marked mix out )
I think if you run that signal to the snake before it gets powered that should do the trick

looks like you would also have to run mixer out ---to amp in and the plug speaker cables in to the back for passive speakers ( I think )

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Dec 22 2011, 11:59 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 23 2011, 12:20 AM
Instructor
Looks like the setup is correct, and should work. Not sure why it doesn't..

--------------------

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Dec 23 2011, 03:02 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 22 2011, 11:20 PM) *
Looks like the setup is correct, and should work. Not sure why it doesn't..

I talked to Mackie people and the monitor out on the 808s mixer is a balanced signal that should work with powered monitors through a standard snake. In fact, when we don't need a snake the monitors work fine from the mon out. I don't get what happens when we introduce the snake sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 23 2011, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Is the setup actually working, when you connect monitor outs>snake>monitor in?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:27 AM