Plz Help Me! Ibanez Vs Epiphone, buying a new guitar
Stormblast82
Apr 22 2008, 08:47 PM
GMC:er
Ok guys im gonna buy a new guitar and i have looked at 5 different guitars and i really need your opinions.
Im a beginner and the music i like to play is common things like Guns N roses, Metallica almost everything that covers
rock/hardrock/metal and even some rockblues...

The guitars ive looked at is Ibanez Rg420EG-SBK
http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_rg420eg_sbk.htm

The second guitar is Ibanez Rg370DX-BK or Rg350
http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_rg370dxbk.htm

The third guitar is Ibanez Rg08LTD JPB
http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_rg08ltd_jpb.htm

The fourth guitar is an Epiphone LP Black Beauty
http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_les_paul_black_beauty.htm

The last guitar is also an Epiphone LP Custom Elitist EB or Slash Les Paul
http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_lpcustom_elite.htm

I would really like to hear what you think is the best guitar of them and also things like is the guitar well
balanced, comfortable to have in the knee, string height (i like them near the freet) and sound
Ive also like the Gibson les paul studio but isnt that guitar very heavy?
And a bonus question, should i change the pickups to other, in that case, which one?

So please help me cause i cant try all of them in a store but i have played a epiphone Sg ( nice but rather cheap) and a Ibanez S series and i loved that guitar.. So hit me with hard facts now..
Thanks///

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Stormblast82: Apr 22 2008, 09:19 PM

--------------------

-Epiphone Gibson Les Paul Custom Black-
-Line6 Pod X3-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 22 2008, 08:53 PM
Instructor
go to epiphone lespaul

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Apr 22 2008, 08:53 PM
I don't know about the others, but I've got the RG 370DX, and I love it. I have other guitars, but I play this one the most. I just find it very comfortable and easy to play.

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Apr 22 2008, 08:56 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
i vote for Ibanez smile.gif
the first one is pretty good, and the second one too, i don't like the last ibanez
i have an ibanez RG prestige 1570MRB and i love the neck, actually i like the whole guitar ( i changed my mics with active EMG 81/s/85)

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 22 2008, 08:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
The Slash Epiphone is on Gibson level, perfectly fabricated high quality and great humbuckers.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 22 2008, 08:58 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'd get the Epiphone LP Custom Elitist, in my mind that's the safest bet smile.gif
I've tried a Epiphone LP Custom (not elitist though) and that was awesome, so the elitist should be even better making it awesomesome, can't go wrong there if you aske me smile.gif

But again, it's a personal preference, so I'll advice you to try out an LP and a Ibanez to see what you like most while playing and what suits your style.. and then make your decision! smile.gif

edit: The Gibson LP Studio is just a few euros more expensive than the Epiphone Elitist, check it out at: http://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_les_paul_studio_black.htm

Now that's your best bet wink.gif That's an absolutely killer guitar!

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Apr 22 2008, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Apr 22 2008, 08:59 PM
i would go with an one of the ibanezes

+Quote Post
Man0waR
Apr 22 2008, 09:21 PM
I have the 370dx and have played an Epiphone LesPaul [prolly not that exact one] pretty often when I used to meet up with a friend. I like them both for sound , the LesPaul is slightly warmer and MOAR sustain as I can tell.
But my 370dx ... I don't know if I can say anything bad about it at its price. I have yet to find a more comfortable neck than these Ibanez thingies smile.gif wonderful for beginners and a blast for advanced players. Obviousely enough great to shred. I have my strings set VERY low on my 370dx and after you mess around a bit with the guitar it seems to stay completely in tune, perfectly straight and comfortable. [first set of strings were a bitch , always detuned and such, but the guitar being new seemed NoT to help with that].
If you go all the way to being a pro guitarist, other than changing strings and pickups to your heart's desire, I don't think you'll realistically need another guitar for shred & metal, unless you're in a big band and you WANT the very best possible.

Wall of text made short : the ibanez's will surely be a bit more comfortable and easy to play, less heavy than the lespaul, the lespaul will surely give out a bit more sustain and a warmer tone for the sweet stuff. But everywhere you look ppl will tell you RG's will shred and divebomb into metal and lespaul will scream for juicy solos.
The best advice I can give you is : if you're horny about all the metal - capability, don't worry that the ibanez might not be versatile enough for anything else .... in the worst case you could switch the neck pickup into something serious and there you .... and if ur worried the lespaul will only put out juicy slow solos, set your strings low enough, and possibly a bridge pickup change will also do the trick for the metal smile.gif

nvm I just saw the prices you were talking about smile.gif

apply all of the above to Ibanez PRESTIGE vs. GIBSON LesPaul [studio or otherwise , new century, BFG or whatever's in the price range].

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 23 2008, 11:04 AM
Instructor
Just go and try those guitars. What is good for one can be bad for you. The epiphone looks great, the ibanez too...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 23 2008, 12:45 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I think the Epi Les Paul Custom Black looks better than that Black beauty model, it has 2 humbuckers instead of three, and might be more comfortable to play unless you really need the versatility of 3 humbuckers.

The Epi LP Elitist is pretty close in price to a Gibson Lp Studio, so if you are willing to spend so much on an epiphone maybe you should consider a Gibson LP Studio.

Good luck whatever you choose!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Apr 23 2008, 12:53 PM
Learning Roadie
dont go for the black beuty! i know 3 humbuckers can be thought of as an advantage but i played the black beuty and it sounded horrible! and thats coming from a les paul maniac!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 23 2008, 01:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
IMO the Epiphone beats the mid price ibanez for character and sound. If comparing Epiphone and Gibson there are Epi guitars that are up there with these double-the-price-Gibsons.

I've got both a low end Ibanez, FM320 and an Epiphone LP. The Ibanez sounds flat and boring, no character or soul and the stock pickups sound like a bee swarm and the quality opf the hardware is so so while the Epiphone LP has everything you'd want from a rock n roll guitar, with stock pickups mounted. And it has 22 frets which is a big plus if you concider tone to be important. I'll change to more expensive locking tuners some day though.

Take the tube up to Fridhemsplan and try a few Epiphone LP's out at Musikborsen until you find one you like. I don't think ordering from thomann etc is a very good idea. Sure, you'll save a buck or two but if there's a problem you have to finace the return cost yourself, and sending a guitar to germany isn't that cheap.

+Quote Post
Harlequin
Apr 23 2008, 01:41 PM
Take the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, they are really aweseome guitars. I bought an Elitist Standard Plus one year ago and I still think: It's a perfect guitar. Great tone and a very good quality.

And you can really hear and see the differences between the normal Epiphones and the Elitist Series, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, too.

This post has been edited by Harlequin: Apr 23 2008, 01:43 PM

--------------------
"'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.'" - Terry Pratchett

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2008, 02:22 PM
Instructor
If you want to play stuff in the style of GNR & Metallica you should go for a les paul. Epiphone has great guitars and Gibson Les Paul studio is also very good. It's isn't as heavy as the Gibson standard or the custom models but it's heavier than epiphone. I use a Gib Les Paul studio when I play live and don't suffer it. wink.gif

I also have an Ibanez RG 520. It's a very good guitar and its sound is amazing too but if you like to sound like Slash you need a Les Paul.

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Stormblast82
Apr 23 2008, 07:52 PM
Ok thanks guys, it seems like the epiphone is more popular, and you gotta love the shape of an Les Paul.
But almost everyone i have talked with says that is much easier to play on an ibanez due to the "fast" neck,
les paul is much thicker over the neck?
I dont have demands that i should play fast as Michael Angelo, i rather have the feeling that Slash, Hammet and Vai has for example. I think that the Les Paul is well balanced in your knee and and gives a great feeling and tone but one cool thing for the Ibanez is the Edge 3, floyd rose thats awesome. wub.gif

But its fun to here from people that has or have played both guitars, all my friend is just into metal thats why they love Ibanez.

But is it really so hard compared to an Ibanez to play fast on a Gibson/Epiphone neck??

Thanks alot guys

--------------------

-Line6 Pod X3-

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 23 2008, 08:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
You can play equally fast on a les paul neck as you would on a Ibanez Wizard Neck. It just feels easier on a paper thin unpainted neck than on a baseballbat-like painted neck. Look at Zakk Wylde and his Les Pauls and tell me you can not play fast on a Les Paul^^

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Stormblast82
Apr 24 2008, 08:03 PM
yeah thats true, you can play fast on that one biggrin.gif
Im almost certain that i will buy a epiphone Slash signature model ( they give you a copy of his hat and sunglases to just for fun)..
But it says that the slash model has a longer neck than the other models, has anyone tried that? i hate when the neck get to long, anyway it that model, zakk wylde's or a regular white or black custom model...
Just for fun, why is it easier to play on a non painted neck than a painted one?? just imaginaton

--------------------

-Line6 Pod X3-

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Apr 24 2008, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Stormblast82 @ Apr 24 2008, 09:03 PM) *
Just for fun, why is it easier to play on a non painted neck than a painted one?? just imaginaton

Painted/clearcoated necks have a sticky feel to them (which will get worse if you sweat alot), that can make it a bit uncomfortable for hand movement around the neck. You might actually like the sticky feel of course. I however hate it, so if I ever again get myself a guitar with a painted neck, I will give it a bit of ye olde sand paper treatment.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 24 2008, 08:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stormblast82
Apr 26 2008, 02:07 PM
Attached ImageAttached Image

Ahh i want to thanks all the guys here for there tip etc, i have finally get a new guitar and its a Epiphone Les Paul custom black.
Will say that its a total blast to play on and the sounds is amazing for that price, havent anything bad to say of this guitar but i think i will change the pickups to seymor duncan al pro 2?? the that Slash uses.
Anyway i will see if i can show some pictures..
I bought it used from a guy that have had it for 6 months, it was only a paint scratch below the volume button but it was really nothing, and he had lower the string height to, but due to the scratch i bought it for only 400 us dollars, which i think is really good, a new in Sweden will go for about i think 1400 us dollars.. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Stormblast82: Apr 26 2008, 02:46 PM

--------------------

-Line6 Pod X3-

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 26 2008, 05:27 PM
EDIT: New they are usually like......$500 actually.
GOOD BUY

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: Apr 26 2008, 05:29 PM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:17 PM