Percussive Guitar
Jose Mena
Aug 4 2008, 05:28 AM
Instructor
Not so long ago, I saw a few videos on you tube of guitarists that do amazing stuff on the acoustic guitar, I called it percussive because they play accompanying themselves taping the guitar. I know this style has probably been around for some time, but just recently caught my attention.

If not sure what I am talking about, go on you tube and do a search on Andy Mcgee, I would like to know if there are any players here that play that style, and what do you think of it. Personally I think it is awesome, and it is something I would like to explore.

I would like to hear your thoughts

Jose

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 06:26 AM
Learning Roadie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhVpIlc1vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOdcqUTju5k

and I can't show you some of my favorite acoustic players without...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVH05o9CQs...feature=related

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 4 2008, 09:53 AM
Singing Instructor
OMG,this people can play.Thanks for the links.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 4 2008, 09:56 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Its an awesome style and addition to guitar playing smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 4 2008, 10:06 AM
GMC:er
NIIIICEEEE smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 4 2008, 11:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
Not to mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTnkbcKyFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGemE401r-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAfCcyWUIwI

If any of the instructors wanna do a lesson in this kind of acoustic style, I wouldn't mind it ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 4 2008, 01:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 4 2008, 12:59 PM) *
If any of the instructors wanna do a lesson in this kind of acoustic style, I wouldn't mind it ^^

Me neither tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Aug 4 2008, 03:46 PM
Instructor
It would be awesome if someone posted a lesson on how to play like this here on GMC, I have been looking around to see if I could find one, and there aren't any.

I know someone that hosts an open mic not too far from where I live, that can play this style, I wish I could convince him to join GMC and share this with us, but he is actively playing gigs and probably doesn't have time, I will mention it to him anyway

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Skalde
Aug 4 2008, 04:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Andy McKee - Drifting
Percussive E-Guitar

by the way: this is awesome:
Andy McKee - Africa(by toto)

+Quote Post
Siggum
Aug 4 2008, 04:17 PM
The main reason i started playing guitar again after a long break, was Antoine Dufour... i learned to play he's tune Glimmer of hope, and got addicted.. I'ts kinda hard to come up with something original though as they use many differnet tunings, i love the style of playing though its awsome smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 4 2008, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 4 2008, 07:26 AM) *

I already knew Bjørn Berge, but I have to say I really got impressed about Gabriela (first video). I would not mind to see "in the style of Gabriela" lessons tongue.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 4 2008, 08:03 PM
Well I tried exploring this style a bit on my own some time ago, and I learned that's it's not as tricky as it may look(like most guitar techniques) but you need to have a very certain setup to get it to sound good.

Thick strings and acoustic guitars that can hold low and high tunings is a must, as the main trick about this type of playing is the tuning, it's rare to see a piece in this style playd with standard tuning, and ussually the guitar is tuned to an open chord, meaning that if you strum all the strings without fretting you will get a chord(for example Don Ross is tunning to E B D E B E in his song "Afraid To Dance", which gives you a chord that I'm not sure the name of because it doesn't have a 3rd, but it's something 7 tongue.gif)

Other tricks, is like you mentioned, the rythmic tapping, which just replaces drums with muted taps, alot of usage of diffrent natural harmonics, using open strings to keep the flow of the song, slapping&popping, tapping.

Look through some of the tabs for these musicians, and you'll see how they apply what I mentioned above, and I think it will simplify things a bit for you smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 08:29 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Iluha @ Aug 4 2008, 03:03 PM) *
Well I tried exploring this style a bit on my own some time ago, and I learned that's it's not as tricky as it may look(like most guitar techniques) but you need to have a very certain setup to get it to sound good.

Thick strings and acoustic guitars that can hold low and high tunings is a must, as the main trick about this type of playing is the tuning, it's rare to see a piece in this style playd with standard tuning, and ussually the guitar is tuned to an open chord, meaning that if you strum all the strings without fretting you will get a chord(for example Don Ross is tunning to E B D E B E in his song "Afraid To Dance", which gives you a chord that I'm not sure the name of because it doesn't have a 3rd, but it's something 7 tongue.gif)

Other tricks, is like you mentioned, the rythmic tapping, which just replaces drums with muted taps, alot of usage of diffrent natural harmonics, using open strings to keep the flow of the song, slapping&popping, tapping.

Look through some of the tabs for these musicians, and you'll see how they apply what I mentioned above, and I think it will simplify things a bit for you smile.gif

Cool. I may pursue that some day. But right now I have other stuff to get in order! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2008, 10:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
I like this style very much. But I also like the more electrical approach a la Bob Zabek.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Aug 6 2008, 05:52 PM
Also check out Thomas Leeb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwb1lc0XStc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz5mMHJMr7s

You can buy tabs of his songs from his web site that even include all the slaps/thumps/scratches on the guitar.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Aug 6 2008, 06:09 PM
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Aug 4 2008, 09:46 AM) *
It would be awesome if someone posted a lesson on how to play like this here on GMC, I have been looking around to see if I could find one, and there aren't any.

Agreed!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 6 2008, 07:00 PM
LALALA CHECK THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluWIzd92og LALALA

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:54 PM