Famous Song Lessons, an idea
Bluesberry
Apr 16 2011, 08:37 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys, I've been looking at the famous song lessons and covers (all these Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera songs etc) and I've come to realize that as much as I appreciate the hard work done by the instructors, I feel something is missing. I've seen a couple of people mention this in the forums but I'm not sure if they were noticed - the cover songs are like spoken tabs. There really is nothing wrong with speaking the "tab" out loud and playing it at the same time, I think it's possible to learn well that way, but I don't think it's enough. For example, what I'd like to hear besides that, could be: "Try to go really crazy with this lick, to really give the solo a climax" or "be careful with your vibrato here, Dimebag played this lick very calmly to create softer parts to the song". You know what I'm saying? I'd like the instructors to tell and show more about HOW to play besides WHAT to play - I think it's really important, since even if a guitarist had a good technique, sense of style and taste is just as important.

Of course we could just say "listen to the original solo", but since we do pay some good money to get access to these lessons (besides all the tabs on the Net), I think this is a thing to pay attention to. It's not like I don't appreciate the lessons as they are, just think that they could be improved. smile.gif

What do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 16 2011, 09:05 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Seeing how you already know what to feel, theres no need for them to instruct you tongue.gif Kidding aside, you do make a good point, but in my humble opinion, I think its better if they don't tell you how to feel when you play it, because you should feel however you want to feel when you play it. A perfect example of this is when SRV or Metallica does a cover song... any song they cover immediately becomes their song, because they play it their way. I also think many instructors are doing the best they can with the verbal instructions. English isn't their first language, so we should cut them some slack. I guess thats part of having a global diversity of instructors.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Apr 16 2011, 09:57 AM
Learning Roadie
Hmm, you do make a good point there (actually two). I guess I don't have anything to counter those arguments, so I'm going to have to think about this a bit more. biggrin.gif

I do appreciate spoken sections very much, however (like those Ben Higgins and Adrian Figallo do, for example) and maybe I'd like to see more of them instead of having every lick explained. Or something like that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 17 2011, 06:18 PM
Instructor
That's a good idea man, thanks for suggestion. I didn't do that much of these lessons, but I was planning to do some in the future. Will implement the things you mentioned! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:28 PM