Got My Dream Guitar, For Only $60
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 25 2011, 09:26 PM
GMC Founder
As some of you know I bought the "Your Rock Guitar" for 60 bucs in a Swedish web store called Musikbörsen (list price is 200 usd)

When I unpacked this "guitar" it felt like the cheapest thing I had ever touched. My solution was to put an Apple logo on it smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

After a bit of fiddling - it seems this might be the coolest instrument I have ever owned.

Cons

* feels plastic and cheap (and it IS extremely cheap )
* midi trigger for picked notes isn't really functional unless you only want to play extremely slow stuff
* impossible to do bending or left hand vibrato (I do it in the video out of habit only, the actual vibrato comes from the whammy and expression knob)

Pros

* In "tap" mode the legato triggering is a dream. I believe that you had to pay the price of house to get this back in the days, when guys like Allan Holdsworth started out. There is no delay whatsoever and you can do both hammer-on and pull-offs.

* Neck dimension (I think that's the word) is actually perfect - the fret distance is wider high up on the neck than on normal guitars which make soloing much easier. Neck profile feels good as well (strat people will like it) - al though the material is plastic

* whammy bar feels great and compensates for inability to bend strings.

* Price wink.gif feels like the next step is for the company to actually give these away

To wrap things up: This strange instrument has made it possible for me to try and do Allan Holdsworth stuff, and by plugging in to Garage Band I got several dream tones which would have been impossible to emulate with a real guitar/amp.

Buy this to get a new fantastic and innovative instrument - don't buy it if you expect a normal guitar. Possibilities of this thing is endless - as you can assign different tuning to each preset, there are built in sounds and backings (which sound pretty bad but work for practicing), you can remove the neck which makes it great for practicing on the road, you don't ever need to tune or change strings (there are none) it and works just like a midi keyboard in your home studio.

And if you are comfortable playing only with your left hand (legato) then go ehrm.... I mean RUN and buy it now!

Here is a short jam just to demonstrate how cool this thing is:

Ladies and gentlemen - technology is evolving to the better! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Kristofer Dahl   Got My Dream Guitar, For Only $60   Dec 25 2011, 09:26 PM
- - Sensible Jones   You can't go wrong for that price!!...   Dec 25 2011, 09:32 PM
|- - Kristofer Dahl   QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 25 2011, 09:3...   Dec 25 2011, 09:33 PM
nnn
- - Bogdan Radovic   Wow this sounds amazing! I think midi possibil...   Dec 25 2011, 09:54 PM
|- - Kristofer Dahl   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 25 2011, 09:5...   Dec 25 2011, 10:11 PM
nnn
- - Sinisa Cekic   * midi trigger for picked notes isn't really f...   Dec 25 2011, 10:12 PM
|- - Kristofer Dahl   QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 25 2011, 10:12 ...   Dec 25 2011, 10:27 PM
nnn
- - Sinisa Cekic   Wait, did we talk about the same problem? Latency?...   Dec 25 2011, 10:28 PM
- - Alex Feather   It's freaking awesome!!! Doesn...   Dec 26 2011, 08:18 AM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   I love that demo video!! It's a grea...   Dec 26 2011, 10:14 AM
- - Kristofer Dahl   Thanks guys! Yes this is something very specia...   Dec 26 2011, 10:23 AM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 26 2011, 06:2...   Dec 26 2011, 10:26 AM
|- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 26 2011, 09:2...   Dec 26 2011, 04:10 PM
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   It does not sound cheap it sounds different! ...   Dec 26 2011, 11:13 AM
- - PosterBoy   I will get one once I've build my pc so I can ...   Dec 26 2011, 11:22 AM
- - Marcus Desaiha   QUOTE My solution was to put an Apple logo on it H...   Dec 26 2011, 01:53 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   That's a cool controller, would be cool to try...   Dec 26 2011, 02:27 PM
- - Fran   Hahahaha, awesome review there Kris Love that pla...   Dec 26 2011, 02:38 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:35 PM