42 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Apr 7 2017, 07:37 PM
GMC:er
I must commend FZALFA for his killer work on the backing. I"ve been encouraging him to begin to write his own backings as I was sure his skill would serve him well and it turned out to be true!!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 3 2017, 10:39 PM) *
Epic track Laurent! cool.gif Count me in.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2017, 07:55 PM
TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!! Get your Solo in to celebrate PALM SUNDAY smile.gif

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 9 2017, 08:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

i"ll post a take tomorow !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 9 2017, 08:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
This was a really hard track to solo over, but here's a take after one listen to the track to get an idea of the chords, but still I struggled massively!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 9 2017, 09:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great track Laurent,

Sorry I didn't get chance, this week has disappeared and this coming week is going to be just as bad, I'll keep the backing on file though, sounds tough too.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 10 2017, 01:57 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
been working long hours with no days off so I'm a bit pinched for time. I'll try and put something down when I get home from work tomorrow or the next day! Maybe you can extend a day or two?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2017, 03:41 AM
No worries! It's such a cool backing that I'm going to let it run one more weekend to give folks some time with it.

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 9 2017, 03:22 PM) *
Hi Todd

i"ll post a take tomorow !

Cheers

Laurent

I"m going to keep this one for another weekend, it's just that darn cool. I really can't wait to hear what you guys do with it and I"m psyched to have a Student be the Genesis for such a spiff track! GO FZALFA!!!

Todd

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 9 2017, 08:57 PM) *
been working long hours with no days off so I'm a bit pinched for time. I'll try and put something down when I get home from work tomorrow or the next day! Maybe you can extend a day or two?

You get a reprieve!!! smile.gif New Deadline Next Sunday Night.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 9 2017, 04:26 PM) *
Great track Laurent,

Sorry I didn't get chance, this week has disappeared and this coming week is going to be just as bad, I'll keep the backing on file though, sounds tough too.

Cheers

Phil

NICE!!!! Part of what I like about this piece is that it was very hard for me to solo on. So I'm guessing it may be a bit of a challenge for you guys as well. It uses a Chromatic descent as it's main skeleton which makes it tough as you have to either follow it down, or rotate around those notes. It's just flat difficult. So don't beat yourselves up! Embrace the the "A Tonal" "Chromatic" nature of the track and roll with it. It doesn't have to be melodic or directly musical, it can be a pinch cacophanous and Kerry King esque if you like smile.gif Your solo is a great example of trying to follow the solo and adapting as it changes. Creating bits of harmony and disharmony while keeping the backing as the primary context of the solo. A BIG achievement to be able to play over this so seriously well done and I really enjoyed your take!!!! I can't wait to hear everybody!! Remember guys, no rules, no scales required, interpret it any way that feels right.

In short

BEN KILLED IT!! THEN KILLED IT SOME MORE THEN KILLED IT AGAIN!! NICE!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 9 2017, 03:34 PM) *
This was a really hard track to solo over, but here's a take after one listen to the track to get an idea of the chords, but still I struggled massively!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 11 2017, 02:20 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
It was a challenge to play over!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 11 2017, 03:36 AM
This is exactly what I was hoping for from you guys!!! DEGROOT really delivers on this one. The sheer amount of variety in this solo is simply stunning. A vast array of techniques and styles on display as GROOT puts on a freakin clinic!!!!!

Notice the use of chordal structures to lead off with, then about one minute in, GROOT goes nuts and begins to just rip it in to tiny bits and light it on fire. It's all there, Sweeps big and little, shredding, tapping, pinching, whammy, etc. etc. etc. Best of all, it all works!

I know what a beast this is to solo over which is why I really want to urge you guys to all take a crack at it. You simply CAN"T make a solo for this bit and not be a better player as a result. It will force you to unfamiliar territory, where you simply have to adapt and learn new things.

SUPER JOB GROOT!!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 10 2017, 09:20 PM) *
It was a challenge to play over!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 11 2017, 03:37 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2017, 04:48 AM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-44!!!!
SOLOING WITHOUT DRUMS!!

*NO DRUMS! But we are in a Familiar Key, E MINOR!! So your blues chops in E will work and your Minor Chops in E will work. You have two open strings to work with as well!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx44

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

SHORT VERSION
Attached File  44_ShortVersion.mp3 ( 849.51K ) Number of downloads: 442

LONG VERSION
Attached File  44_LongVersion.mp3 ( 3.24MB ) Number of downloads: 560

KEY: E MINOR

SCALES TO USE: E Flat Blues/Pentatonic

E Minor
Attached Image

E Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 17 2017, 10:23 AM
Learning Roadie
Nice Take DeGroot !!!

i lake of time to post a take, i'll try theses days

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2017, 04:28 AM
Looking forward to you guys giving this a go smile.gif it's our first without drums!

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 17 2017, 05:23 AM) *
Nice Take DeGroot !!!

i lake of time to post a take, i'll try theses days

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 22 2017, 08:51 PM
SOLOING WITHOUT DRUMS!!

*NO DRUMS! But we are in a Familiar Key, E MINOR!! So your blues chops in E will work and your Minor Chops in E will work. You have two open strings to work with as well!!!

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

SHORT VERSION

LONG VERSION

E Minor
Attached Image

E Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 22 2017, 08:59 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 24 2017, 02:17 AM
(*Going to try this for one more week. It's a really fun backing to solo over. Give it a shot! )

SOLOING WITHOUT DRUMS!!

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

SHORT VERSION

LONG VERSION

E Minor
Attached Image

E Blues

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 30 2017, 05:18 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Better late than never. Would've liked to play it a bit better but went with my first recorded take. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 30 2017, 06:00 PM
Congrats on the first and possibly only Submission smile.gif I thought this track was just begging for fun soloing but I gotta say I've never seen less response. It's kinds shocking actually. Is it cause I pulled the drums out? Nobody can play unless there is a beat? I just find it hard to grasp. Thankfully your take is wonderfuly smile.gif I hope we get a few more last minute submissions before the deadline but you could be our only take on this one. I've soloed over this and though it was just fun as heck. So far you and I are the only two who seem to feel that way for some reason. If you've got any ideas or can let me know if there was something that threw you off about please do tell so I can avoid it in the future smile.gif

ON TO THE DEBRIEF!!!

Per usual your solo is pretty much perfect. It's not non stop shred, it's not all slow, it's a great example of how to build "dynamics" in to a solo so that it builds over time. I've seen players struggle with this since I started teaching many moons ago. I really liked that hammer / tapping bit you did as well. Combining it with the open string from the sound of it. Very clever smile.gif Note choice, technique, dynamics, it's all there. A perfects example of what I was looking for. In other words, you just LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 30 2017, 12:18 PM) *
Better late than never. Would've liked to play it a bit better but went with my first recorded take. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 30 2017, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 30 2017, 07:19 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks! I thought it was cool and fun to play to. I think the "no drums" was a good idea to shake things up. I wouldn't think the no drums would throw people off? I could be wrong. As for me, I wouldn't mind some modal tracks. We did the Harmonic Minor reggae track a while back. Wouldn't mind some Lydian, Pyrgian Dom., etc. Then again I like playing to all sorts of different backings and styles.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 30 2017, 05:00 PM) *
Congrats on the first and possibly only Submission smile.gif I thought this track was just begging for fun soloing but I gotta say I've never seen less response. It's kinds shocking actually. Is it cause I pulled the drums out? Nobody can play unless there is a beat? I just find it hard to grasp. Thankfully your take is wonderfuly smile.gif I hope we get a few more last minute submissions before the deadline but you could be our only take on this one. I've soloed over this and though it was just fun as heck. So far you and I are the only two who seem to feel that way for some reason. If you've got any ideas or can let me know if there was something that threw you off about please do tell so I can avoid it in the future smile.gif

ON TO THE DEBRIEF!!!

Per usual your solo is pretty much perfect. It's not non stop shred, it's not all slow, it's a great example of how to build "dynamics" in to a solo so that it builds over time. I've seen players struggle with this since I started teaching many moons ago. I really liked that hammer / tapping bit you did as well. Combining it with the open string from the sound of it. Very clever smile.gif Note choice, technique, dynamics, it's all there. A perfects example of what I was looking for. In other words, you just LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2017, 02:59 AM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-45!!!!
SOLOING USING YOUR EARS!!
*EAR TRAINING!!! Use any scale you like. Just use your ear and play what sounds good. This one has drums smile.gif Let's try it with drums but without training wheels. Sky is the limit smile.gif

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx45

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  NewBONESAW___4_22_17__5.18_AM.mp3 ( 1.75MB ) Number of downloads: 594

KEY: Ear Training. Use Your Ear. Play any notes you think sound good. There is a chord change mid way, then back to the original.

SCALES TO USE: Any

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 3 2017, 09:05 PM
OK quick hint, it starts in E Minor smile.gif Or E Blues would work.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 30 2017, 09:59 PM) *
*EAR TRAINING!!! Use any scale you like. Just use your ear and play what sounds good. This one has drums smile.gif Let's try it with drums but without training wheels. Sky is the limit smile.gif

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  NewBONESAW___4_22_17__5.18_AM.mp3 ( 1.75MB ) Number of downloads: 594

KEY: Ear Training. Use Your Ear. Play any notes you think sound good. There is a chord change mid way, then back to the original.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2017, 07:31 PM
*Going to let this one ride one more cycle smile.gif Give it a try!

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:52 AM