Djent+dubstep=djentstep
guitarguy93
Feb 10 2013, 06:10 PM
GMC:er
This is probably nothing new to you guys, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the idea of combining Dubstep and Metal.

In my opinion, Dubstep is sort of the heavy metal of electronic music, so it blends nicely. However, playing it live is a different story. Especially if you decide you want to do a solo project with it. It would be a huge pain to go from shredding the guitar to turning knobs on a USB controller. I personally like both genres and love it when people combine them, but only if it's done well.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-8_-0iygE

That's probably the best example I've ever seen on YouTube, but I haven't done much digging.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is a way of life. You live it, you don't just listen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
SpaseMoonkey
Feb 10 2013, 07:34 PM
I enjoy both music styles myself. I believe the genre is called deathcore/dubcore, they do tons of bass drops and add slight dubstep sounds to it. But when you talk of this these bands come to mind.

Gah I love this style of music!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 11 2013, 10:21 AM
Instructor
I love this as well man! I posted this amazing tune a few days ago, but I will post again here, as it's appropriate biggrin.gif

More aggressive and melodic, but I'd really love to play this sort of stuff!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2013, 02:08 PM
Instructor
Great stuff guys! I still have to investigate this combination of style, it sounds really cool for me! I really enjoyed Korn's newer album and also Muse's Dubstep influences.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 11 2013, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Yeah man - I like that new Korn album, even though people dissed it... I guess that not everyone is ready to evolve alongside the band smile.gif

+Quote Post
OzRob
Feb 13 2013, 10:36 AM
I love "Narcissistic Cannibal". It's a fantastic fusion. But yeh, playing it live would be a tough ask. I suspect there'd be a lot of clip triggering occurring rather than knob twisting. IIRC, I believe Skrillex and some others have said as much. And that Engel song is pretty cool. Is it Deadmau5 doing the dubstep on it? Or is he just damaged for the sake of the vid?

FWIW, I've just had a dubstep infused trailer collection released. Here's one track from the album. It's so much fun doing this stuff. Best enjoyed with volume. tongue.gif

http://soundcloud.com/cruciform/treat-as-hostile-epicstep

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 13 2013, 11:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OzRob @ Feb 13 2013, 09:36 AM) *
I love "Narcissistic Cannibal". It's a fantastic fusion. But yeh, playing it live would be a tough ask. I suspect there'd be a lot of clip triggering occurring rather than knob twisting. IIRC, I believe Skrillex and some others have said as much. And that Engel song is pretty cool. Is it Deadmau5 doing the dubstep on it? Or is he just damaged for the sake of the vid?

FWIW, I've just had a dubstep infused trailer collection released. Here's one track from the album. It's so much fun doing this stuff. Best enjoyed with volume. tongue.gif

http://soundcloud.com/cruciform/treat-as-hostile-epicstep

hey man! Very nice! This sounds like it can fit as a movie OST just like a glove biggrin.gif Got no clue if deadmau5 is just there for getting his hiney kicked, but I LOVE the song!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Feb 13 2013, 11:14 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2013, 07:12 AM
Metal can and will be combined with all other genres of music at some point. So why not Dub? smile.gif I've heard some very interesting interpretataions of metal songs done in Techno, even Bluegrass, not to mention orchestral. So I"m all for it smile.gif

QUOTE (guitarguy93 @ Feb 10 2013, 12:10 PM) *
This is probably nothing new to you guys, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the idea of combining Dubstep and Metal.

In my opinion, Dubstep is sort of the heavy metal of electronic music, so it blends nicely. However, playing it live is a different story. Especially if you decide you want to do a solo project with it. It would be a huge pain to go from shredding the guitar to turning knobs on a USB controller. I personally like both genres and love it when people combine them, but only if it's done well.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-8_-0iygE

That's probably the best example I've ever seen on YouTube, but I haven't done much digging.

+Quote Post
Grace
Feb 14 2013, 08:07 AM
I like it as well smile.gif it's fun

--------------------
BRUUUUUTAL GRIM DEATH NINJA OF THE FROZEN NORTH!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:31 AM