Your Daily Motivation
Ben Higgins
Nov 5 2012, 10:27 AM
Instructor
Here it is for today ! smile.gif

Do you know what I'm going to do now ? I'm going to go and do the things that I don't want to do.. so I can get them out of the way and make space for the things that I do want to do !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 5 2012, 11:17 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a couple of Ross' books, he's a monster smile.gif

really cool vid.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 5 2012, 11:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 5 2012, 10:17 AM) *
I have a couple of Ross' books, he's a monster smile.gif

really cool vid.

He's awesome.. seems like he's a very respected guy in the boxing training world smile.gif

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 5 2012, 06:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door". - Milton Berle

This sentence is really philosophic, love it.

That guy has a furious training lol though some of his training are a bit too "demonstrative" (e.g training with the wheel).

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 5 2012, 07:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 5 2012, 05:44 PM) *
That guy has a furious training lol though some of his training are a bit too "demonstrative" (e.g training with the wheel).

Yes, he looks truly 'in the zone' and intimidating when he's doing his thing !

A lot of his training is about using the whole body, stimulating the Central Nervous System which promotes more recruitment of muscles fibres, leading to better strength gains and things. smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 5 2012, 10:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ross's 'full throttle conditioning' book / dvd totally changed the way I approached training. he really does back up all of his theories about training, Im a big fan of his stuff.

I really like how the approach to training and fitness or Martial arts can be transferred so easily to practicing guitar. I read a bunch of stuff from the mma trainer 'martain rooney' and he posted these 5 tips about 'talent'. Now, 6 months ago I would have read this as a 100% training article but now I read it as if its from a guitarist magazine or something smile.gif

The Talent Revelation

This post has been edited by bleez: Nov 5 2012, 10:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2012, 10:17 PM
Instructor
Inspiring video Ben! and also your post... that's the way to go! Thanks a lot for posting this inspiring stuff mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 6 2012, 07:34 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 5 2012, 06:44 PM) *
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door". - Milton Berle

This sentence is really philosophic, love it.

Oh my god, I thought it was a wheel but it was weights lol ! I take back what I said xD

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 6 2012, 10:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 5 2012, 09:13 PM) *
Ross's 'full throttle conditioning' book / dvd totally changed the way I approached training. he really does back up all of his theories about training, Im a big fan of his stuff.

I really like how the approach to training and fitness or Martial arts can be transferred so easily to practicing guitar. I read a bunch of stuff from the mma trainer 'martain rooney' and he posted these 5 tips about 'talent'. Now, 6 months ago I would have read this as a 100% training article but now I read it as if its from a guitarist magazine or something smile.gif

The Talent Revelation

What an excellent article and I'm glad because I've been saying this for a long time. Talent is an illusion.. it doesn't exist ! When we're very young, we have a certain thing, or things, that we naturally go towards and show an interest in. If we capitalise on it early enough and keep it going then that is usually described as our 'talent' but in truth, we just kept working at something until we got good at it. Everybody had this in them when they were a young child. However, we can start working on a new skill at any time of our life. If you decide you want to become great at something, you just do it.

You make your own rules. Never take 'Conventional wisdom' to heart. 'Conventional wisdom is basically just a record of something that somebody else once did. Following that is like trying to recreate history. You might as well go and partake in a battle re-enactment. (nothing wrong with that for recreation, btw). Remember, before they did what they did.. that story did not exist. They made their path as they went along. Just like you make yours. Inspiring stories and wisdom is great for motivation and a guide for the mindset that you need but in terms of what is physically possible / not possible.. you have to ignore that notion. As Arnold would say 'that is somebody else's reality.. it wasn't my reality'. When people say 'you can't do something, it's not possible' what it means is 'they couldn't do it.. or they haven't heard of anybody who can.'

It's like guitar advice.. I can tell you what worked /works for me and I can suggest what I think may help you or where I think you may be going wrong but if you have an absolute gut feeling and determination that the way you hold the pick, or the way you fret the notes is right for you then you goddamn listen to that, not somebody else's experience. Your experience tells you more than somebody else's words.

And one final addition to that is: I, or anybody else, can try and give you all the help in the world but unless you put in the time and the effort then it means nothing. I cannot lift your weight for you or you will never develop the physique to do it on your own.

Thanks again for that article, Bleez.. it should be shared everywhere smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Nov 6 2012, 10:56 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 6 2012, 10:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 6 2012, 09:53 AM) *
Thanks again for that article, Bleez.. it should be shared everywhere smile.gif

Glad you liked it duder smile.gif I thought it was a particularly good article myself. I like the almost negative-like points he highlights. Its good to keep reminding myself that Im really not improving unless Im experiencing failure and frustration, if I didnt then I'd already be awesome! but for me, shredtastic-ness is just at the end of failure road cool.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 6 2012, 09:53 AM) *
And one final addition to that is: I, or anybody else, can try and give you all the help in the world but unless you put in the time and the effort then it means nothing. I cannot lift your weight for you or you will never develop the physique to do it on your own.

indeed nobody wins an MMA fight by watching Van Damme dvds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 7 2012, 09:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 6 2012, 09:37 PM) *
Glad you liked it duder smile.gif I thought it was a particularly good article myself. I like the almost negative-like points he highlights. Its good to keep reminding myself that Im really not improving unless Im experiencing failure and frustration, if I didnt then I'd already be awesome! but for me, shredtastic-ness is just at the end of failure road cool.gif

Yes, I especially loved the bit about passing through the towns of failure, hardship & suffering. Very good analogy. I think that when we can accept the bad times as a natural part of the process then we don't feel so bad about it and it doesn't need to make us feel like we've lost ground smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:01 PM