Pre-recording Routines
Marius Pop
Jun 3 2014, 03:44 PM
Instructor
When recording (especially video takes) I always find myself in a different mind frame than in general. I'm excited, focused, sometimes self-conscious and at times a bit nervous - all this mix of emotions can get in the way of you performing as naturally and relaxed as possible.

So my way of giving my best is by clearing my mind and focusing on the joy (sometimes the adrenaline) that the song/piece I'm performing is giving me, trying to see and hear everything I'm playing with the fresh excitement of a beginner that discovers music.

I know this might sound weird, but I think all of us have our way of dealing with the path to excellence.

What are your routines before recording? biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 4 2014, 08:53 AM
Instructor
Great thread man!

I usually like to know that I have all my gear ready and that I know what I need to record. Then, I only need to relax and focus on the tasks at hand smile.gif Pretty simple, but that's how it goes for me biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 4 2014, 10:47 AM
Instructor
I definitely find it easier when I'm well prepared. I think any video where you're talking or presenting ideas is tougher than non spoken videos. In that case, notes help but mostly I just wing it and say what's in my head.

In terms of performance videos, I always play worse when the camera's on ! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
Jun 4 2014, 11:38 AM
Instructor
That's great, Cosmin! Relaxation is the key!
Ben, I know what you're saying! Hahaha! laugh.gif Scott Henderson said he'd wait for two weeks after recording something, focus on anything else and only then listen to what he'd recorded to analyze it as objective as possible! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2014, 08:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ Jun 4 2014, 10:38 AM) *
Ben, I know what you're saying! Hahaha! laugh.gif Scott Henderson said he'd wait for two weeks after recording something, focus on anything else and only then listen to what he'd recorded to analyze it as objective as possible! biggrin.gif

Great point man! Listening to what you have recorded, with fresh ears, will always help you be a good/fair judge with yourself smile.gif

Being caught in the moment is not doing too much good to judging a performance wink.gif

For me, it's pretty easy to talk about something, I like to explain things 'guitar in hand' I play something and then I present the idea as explicitly as possible, with various comparisons and anecdotes that give folks the fun factor and the stripped facts as well wink.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 5 2014, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ Jun 4 2014, 03:38 AM) *

Yes, listen to the music you actually made ... not your intent.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2014, 07:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 5 2014, 03:20 PM) *
Yes, listen to the music you actually made ... not your intent.

The mind is a very dangerous and powerful enemy sometimes. If you don't know how to tame it... it can bring you down in an instant.

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
Jun 8 2014, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Exactly! After a period of time, you often find bits and pieces you initialy never thought of them as being interesting. You learn a lot about your playing and the actual truth of it, not the "intent", as klasaine said smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2014, 07:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ Jun 8 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Exactly! After a period of time, you often find bits and pieces you initialy never thought of them as being interesting. You learn a lot about your playing and the actual truth of it, not the "intent", as klasaine said smile.gif

Ah, that moment when you 'lose it' but find yourself in the situation in which you recorded something different that you actually like biggrin.gif Been there too and it's a nice sensation wink.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 9 2014, 03:15 PM
GMC:er
Sometimes (many times) when I'm going to record a guitar track for someone else they usually ask if I'd like to hear the demo or the rough track. I always say "yes, send me an mp3" (or whatever - soundcloud, youtube, etc.). I only listen to it for 'form' - verse, chorus, bridge - the chords and if there's a signature riff or line. I don't work out too many parts because I have found that the artist and/or producer may have a completely different concept than what I was thinking. [For me] it's much harder to un-learn (un-hear) and then figure out something new than it is to just go in and make guitar parts (with the artist/producer) on the fly. *In fact I prefer them to not send me anything.
This actually happened yesterday. I was called sort of 'last minute' to record a baritone guitar part for a band I have played gigs with for a few months. The song to be recorded was one I had done a couple of times but the writer/singer/leader wanted to change the part for the bari. I had to quickly readjust my concept.
I like doing that but it was definitely a little stressful (for me).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 10 2014, 03:47 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2014, 02:28 PM
Instructor
This is an interesting topic. I like Marius trick of trying to focus on the "joy" side of playing while we are recording. It can be tricky at first but I think that it can be achieved with practice. In my case, I'm with Ben about this, I usually play better without the camera, I need to record more takes when I'm filming compared to when I'm just playing the track. I experiment this when I record my GMC lessons.

It would be cool to create a list of tricks and ideas to fool our mind, don't you think so?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 10 2014, 02:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I found making a video the hardest thing ever about playing. I've done a decent amount of shows at some pretty cool local venues but I think the whole idea of a video being permanent is a bit nerve racking. That and when recording a video (and even when recording tracks) its you on your own to do what you have to do. no band members to feed energy with. I find the best way to cope tho is to really crank the monitors to really help you zone out into the song.

In saying that the whole taping yourself play is a great way to practice playing live. if you can nail that then playing live will be 10 times easier.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 10 2014, 03:13 PM
Learning Roadie
I burn incense and lucky heather in the room whilst reciting incantations to rid the area of evil spirits that bring on the curse of the red light

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 10 2014, 10:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 10 2014, 01:54 PM) *
I found making a video the hardest thing ever about playing. I've done a decent amount of shows at some pretty cool local venues but I think the whole idea of a video being permanent is a bit nerve racking. That and when recording a video (and even when recording tracks) its you on your own to do what you have to do. no band members to feed energy with. I find the best way to cope tho is to really crank the monitors to really help you zone out into the song.

In saying that the whole taping yourself play is a great way to practice playing live. if you can nail that then playing live will be 10 times easier.

Hehe! It's a mind game man biggrin.gif I was thinking about how easy it is to leave the live mistakes behind and how nasty it is to think that the recorded mistakes will stay. The main idea, in my opinion is to enjoy both experiences wink.gif The more you do them, the more you will become more and more natural and one day you will end up without any fear of the red light! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 10 2014, 02:13 PM) *
I burn incense and lucky heather in the room whilst reciting incantations to rid the area of evil spirits that bring on the curse of the red light

I am burning incense biggrin.gif No kidding here!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:19 PM