Ground Wiring
strai
Dec 24 2007, 04:23 PM
GMC:er
hey,

i've got a problem with my jazzmaster. I soldered the wires just like the diagrams are pointing out but there is still a humming sound. when i touch the tone or volume knobs with my hand, the humming stops.

the black groundwires are going from the output jack to the tone element,
from the tone element to the volume element, and from the volume element to the tremelo claw.

can anywhone help me out?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Dec 24 2007, 05:41 PM
well your hand will be somewhere on the metal bits when you play so it shouldnt really make a difference should it? maybe you can get some humbucker pickups that should get rid of the hum, if it dont, sue the company tongue.gif
that wasnt very helpful at all but nevertheless!
merry christmas everyone who reads this and dont read this

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
strai
Dec 24 2007, 06:15 PM
you're right, when I touch the strings or metal bits of the guitar the humming does stop but that's not a solution.

and i already have humbuckers so thats also not a solution.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Dec 24 2007, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (strai @ Dec 24 2007, 06:15 PM) *
you're right, when I touch the strings or metal bits of the guitar the humming does stop but that's not a solution.

and i already have humbuckers so thats also not a solution.

make sure the bridge is grounded and check that all metal components are attached together and to ground.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Dec 24 2007, 08:05 PM
(or sue the company who made your pickups!)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 25 2007, 02:04 AM
Instructor
It's not about pickups smile.gif
Guess all metal parts aren't grounded properly,no big deal,no worries,
check it out again,bridge as well as our friend said smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
strai
Dec 25 2007, 06:11 PM
The bridge is connected to the tremelo claw, so the bridge is also grounded right?

Can anyone explane the whole grounding principle because I don't understand it for 100%. Do I also have to ground my pick ups (humbuckers)? Because originally, the humbuckers weren't grounded and there was no humming sound.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Dec 25 2007, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (strai @ Dec 25 2007, 06:11 PM) *
The bridge is connected to the tremelo claw, so the bridge is also grounded right?

Can anyone explane the whole grounding principle because I don't understand it for 100%. Do I also have to ground my pick ups (humbuckers)? Because originally, the humbuckers weren't grounded and there was no humming sound.

The most basic explination is tie all metal parts together. Go from the input jack to a common point (pick one). it does not matter where just make a place where all grounds attach. The back of a pot or a common solder loop on a screw. An open ground will make the noise you are describing. take a spare piece of wire and touch the common point for ground and touch each piece that is metal on the guitar. The noise should go away when you touch the ungrounded part. Check your schematic for the ground symbol. Make sure all points that show one are connected to ground ....then check again.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:36 PM