Should I, Shouldn't I?, POD X3 Live
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 03:36 PM
GMC:er
OK. I have about 500 pound budget (950 sollars approx) to spend on a Live device for effects to help me get a better sound. Is the POD X3 Live worthwhile for me to buy and will I be happy with it? Or is there something better out there that has many effects. I'm worried that the POD X3 Live will soon a bit rubbish and I hate wasting money as it makes me depressed. sad.gif

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Chris Evans
Feb 18 2008, 03:45 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
totally hear where ya comin from, things out date so quickly but a bit like anything really, tv`s, computers etc

I`m more than happy with the XT Live, as we said before the X3 features for me would be wasted but.. if I was going to use them then I`d go for it mate, I think the Line 6 stuff really rocks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 03:51 PM
Could somebody list the additions of X3 Live over XT Live if possible? I really don't know what I want. We as a band basically play a mixed set. Half originals and half covers and we have very varied songs but at the minute I use two pedals live. A Metal Zone and a Tuner. This isn't good as we are doing covers that aren't metal all the time and so I need something a bit more versatile. How can I go from Funk to Metal to Country to Pop to Rock etc best?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 18 2008, 03:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
If you can deal with modeling then it's the best choice you can make. If you are a tube guy like me, better try before buy...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 03:53 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 18 2008, 02:51 PM) *
If you can deal with modeling then it's the best choice you can make. If you are a tube guy like me, better try before buy...

Well I have a JCM800 amp which is obviously a classic Tube amp. Will the POD X3 take away from my sound because I have that sort of amp?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2008, 04:13 PM
Instructor
It depends what effects you use, how much you use them, how loud, it depends how good you play, many factors are involved. If yo do use JCM800, I wouldn't suggest POD at all. By something liek Muris's TC Eletronics GForce or cheaper model, Gmajor, and a MIDI foot controller.

Maybe Muris can give you some specific advice about his gear, but I'm pretty sure that POD is not the way to go with that sort of money.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 18 2008, 04:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't think the jcm 800 will get clean enough to use a line 6 modeling effect with it. The problem is that the line 6 simulates another amp so it needs a neutral device like a speaker to work perfectly. When you use it through the marshall it will sound whack because every model you use (for example a rectifier model) will be mixed with the the sound of the jcm800. Best would be you use the X3 live through the pa-system when it comes to a gig.

On the other hand, you have a JCM800 imho one of the best sounding amps in the world (when played loud). What is it exactly you want to improve on your sound?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 04:19 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 18 2008, 03:13 PM) *
It depends what effects you use, how much you use them, how loud, it depends how good you play, many factors are involved. If yo do use JCM800, I wouldn't suggest POD at all. By something liek Muris's TC Eletronics GForce or cheaper model, Gmajor, and a MIDI foot controller.

Maybe Muris can give you some specific advice about his gear, but I'm pretty sure that POD is not the way to go with that sort of money.

Too many considerations. sad.gif I play ok on guitar lol. I'm not useless but I'm no John McLaughlin biggrin.gif I like it loud even though I know it's wrong it makes me go a bit more crazy and people that come to see us like it loud and don't care about dynamics. Heavy is better to them. I might ask Muris about the G Force but what does it actually do?

I'm stuck for ideas sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 04:21 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 18 2008, 03:18 PM) *
I don't think the jcm 800 will get clean enough to use a line 6 modeling effect with it. The problem is that the line 6 simulates another amp so it needs a neutral device like a speaker to work perfectly. When you use it through the marshall it will sound whack because every model you use (for example a rectifier model) will be mixed with the the sound of the jcm800. Best would be you use the X3 live through the pa-system when it comes to a gig.

On the other hand, you have a JCM800 imho one of the best sounding amps in the world (when played loud). What is it exactly you want to improve on your sound?

I just want lots of effects to be honest like phase, flange, delay, chorus etc in an easy to carry around unit. And have lots of sound presets like this to switch between especially for my cover band that does lots of different styles.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 18 2008, 04:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would in your place buy a big pedalboard and fill it with different stomp box pedals...I think that way you'll get much more quality live sound than from some digital device..Also you have the money needed... wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 18 2008, 03:53 PM) *
I would in your place buy a big pedalboard and fill it with different stomp box pedals...I think that way you'll get much more quality live sound than from some digital device..Also you have the money needed... wink.gif

Surely buying stomp boxes seperately would cost way more than 500 pound?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 18 2008, 05:17 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If you're just looking for effects I wouldn't go for a POD. There is however a neat piece from Digitech called GSP1101 that would do great as a fx unit, also has modeling if you like to plug in for direct recording. Pro stuff at low cost!

I'm craving one for myself (or an ENGL E530) but right now I'm leaning towards the GSP1101 for "more in the box" so to speak but I think I'm waiting for the yearly bonus before a buy.
With that piece you have the possibility to start an entire rack setup in the future. If you have a floor unit... you've got a floor unit. unsure.gif

Another pice, which is a floor unit rolleyes.gif built around well known effects and probably the only foor control you need is Boss ME-50. Now I'm not into effects myself but if I still had my JCM800 which was quite straight forward, instead of getting single pedals I'd go for this without hesitation.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 05:20 PM
Too many options lol. I hate buying things as I never know what is best for me and for me in the band that I'm in.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 18 2008, 05:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 18 2008, 10:54 AM) *
Surely buying stomp boxes seperately would cost way more than 500 pound?

Not necessarily. You can get a lot of good effect pedals in the ~50 pound range, or you can spend more if you want. I would just make sure to get a good delay chorus and wah, then you can also get flangers and whatever else you want.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Feb 18 2008, 04:23 PM) *
Not necessarily. You can get a lot of good effect pedals in the ~50 pound range, or you can spend more if you want. I would just make sure to get a good delay chorus and wah, then you can also get flangers and whatever else you want.

I have a Morley Wah/Volume pedal and an Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus. Are they any good?

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 18 2008, 05:27 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 18 2008, 05:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 18 2008, 05:26 PM) *
I have a Morley Wah/Volume pedal and an Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus. Are they any good?

They are very good..Look at prices of boss pedals..Also make a list of effect you need (no need for chorus you have it and also volume/wah if you are satisfied with that one)..You can buy a lot of stompboxes for 950$! smile.gif And its more fun having these sturdy quality pedals rather than one big plastic digital device (I'm guessing its made of plastic laugh.gif ) wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 18 2008, 05:47 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 05:48 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 18 2008, 04:46 PM) *
They are very good..Look at prices of boss pedals..Also make a list of effect you need (no need for chorus you have it and also volume/wah if you are satisfied with that one)..You can buy a lot of stompboxes for 950$! smile.gif And its more fun having these sturdy quality pedals rather than one big plastic digital device (I'm guessing its made of plastic laugh.gif ) wink.gif

Cool. I might go on a pedal puying mission and try out loads. Might be more fun smile.gif I really need an EQ as well because that can add a lot to sound yes?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2008, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Yes, but your JCM800 doesn't have effects loop right? Then what's the point on using delay, even chorus? You need a FXloop on your amp in order to buy a multiFX unit.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 18 2008, 05:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 18 2008, 05:46 PM) *

The ME-50 which is made our of metal and comes loaded with 20 Boss effects for the price of about 3 Boss stand alone pedals.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 18 2008, 04:55 PM) *
Yes, but your JCM800 doesn't have effects loop right? Then what's the point on using delay, even chorus? You need a FXloop on your amp in order to buy a multiFX unit.

wacko.gif

Normally I just plug pedals in a row and into the amp input. Didn't realise you had to have an FX Loop. But I think mine does have an FX loop. It has send and receive I believe. To be honest it could have a thousand pounds strapped to the back of the amp and I wouldn't notice lol biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:25 AM