Blues Solo In D Lesson, Those bends!
Toroso
Jan 23 2009, 05:11 PM
GMC:er
Hey bud, got any tips for getting those bends down in the first vid??? blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2009, 05:52 PM
Instructor
Sure mate:

- Place your pinky finger on the 8th fret of the high E string
- Place your ring finger on the 8th fret of the B string
- Place the index and middle fingers as a support behind the ring finger
- Then while fretting with the pinky, slowly bend the B string to a whole step - be careful not to bend with the pinky, that is the essential part.
- Use other fingers behind the ring to support the bend on the B string
- Take a metronome and practice this bending of the B string at 60bpm tempo. Like before do this while fretting and holding the 8th fret of the high E string with the pinky. It may need some time to do it right, without actually bending the E string as well, but with a few days you should have no problems doing this mate.

You probably know this, but just to note - keep it easy, and don't push it. Bending exercises should be practiced for 15-20minutes maximum, cause the put a lot of strain on fingers in general.

If you need a video response, it can be done as well, so if you're not quite sure about this explanation, will record a short sample. Notify me if you need the sample OK? Thanks! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 23 2009, 06:01 PM
OK, I see. After this and looking at the vid again, I think I got it. Just some practice...

And I'll try not to break any fingers! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 23 2009, 11:52 AM) *
Sure mate:

- Place your pinky finger on the 8th fret of the high E string
- Place your ring finger on the 8th fret of the B string
- Place the index and middle fingers as a support behind the ring finger
- Then while fretting with the pinky, slowly bend the B string to a whole step - be careful not to bend with the pinky, that is the essential part.
- Use other fingers behind the ring to support the bend on the B string
- Take a metronome and practice this bending of the B string at 60bpm tempo. Like before do this while fretting and holding the 8th fret of the high E string with the pinky. It may need some time to do it right, without actually bending the E string as well, but with a few days you should have no problems doing this mate.

You probably know this, but just to note - keep it easy, and don't push it. Bending exercises should be practiced for 15-20minutes maximum, cause the put a lot of strain on fingers in general.

If you need a video response, it can be done as well, so if you're not quite sure about this explanation, will record a short sample. Notify me if you need the sample OK? Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2009, 07:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 23 2009, 06:01 PM) *
And I'll try not to break any fingers! biggrin.gif

That's the idea mate! biggrin.gif

When I composed this solo it took me some time to nail that first bend with the metronome as well, it is a bit problematic, but after some practice it will get better. Cheers ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 26 2009, 01:10 AM
Actually Ivan, I would like to take you up on this offer. smile.gif What I would like tho, is for you to demonstrate practicing these bends with the metronome at 60. I want to make sure I am using my metronome correctly. huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 26 2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor
Of course mate, will do tomorrow it's a bit late now, I was out of house all day. Will record it ASAP tomorrow! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 26 2009, 11:24 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 26 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Of course mate, will do tomorrow it's a bit late now, I was out of house all day. Will record it ASAP tomorrow! smile.gif

No rush bro. The bends are coming along nicely I think. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 29 2009, 11:59 PM
Instructor
Here's a video response mate! Sorry for the delay, and low video quality, I hope it is OK! Let me know if you need anything else! Cheers! smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  response.rar ( 53.71MB ) Number of downloads: 678

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 30 2009, 10:37 AM
Learning Roadie
thats awesome ivan.. smile.gif

although i am not currently doing the lesson, i found the response quite good.. when practicing vibrato, is this the way i should go about?? i mean.. get the bend first.. then add vibrato.. usually when i practice now, i start by including the bend..

hmm.. i guess it actually makes sense to practice bending and vibrato seperately..

Thanks ivan.. you just made me realize that i can practice more efficient.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 30 2009, 10:50 AM
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 30 2009, 04:37 AM) *
thats awesome ivan.. smile.gif

although i am not currently doing the lesson, i found the response quite good.. when practicing vibrato, is this the way i should go about?? i mean.. get the bend first.. then add vibrato.. usually when i practice now, i start by including the bend..

hmm.. i guess it actually makes sense to practice bending and vibrato seperately..

Thanks ivan.. you just made me realize that i can practice more efficient.. biggrin.gif

Exactly! I was doing it that way too! Time to reprogram. LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 30 2009, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Cool guys, glad you found it useful! smile.gif

Toroso mate, here's a Gearbox pattern you asked for. It's 60bpm with hihat:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 30 2009, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 30 2009, 05:03 AM) *
Cool guys, glad you found it useful! smile.gif

Toroso mate, here's a Gearbox pattern you asked for. It's 60bpm with hihat:

I hate to be so obtuse about this, but, what you have there is 60 bpm with beats on the quarter notes. If I select the other four columns, have I effectively doubled the bpm to 120? Or do I now have 60 bpm with eighth notes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 31 2009, 04:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 30 2009, 12:13 PM) *
I hate to be so obtuse about this, but, what you have there is 60 bpm with beats on the quarter notes. If I select the other four columns, have I effectively doubled the bpm to 120? Or do I now have 60 bpm with eighth notes?

You did both man, depends how you look at it. I would say it is closer to eight notes at 60bpm, cause 60bpm is written down to the left, but you can observe it musically as quarter notes at 120bpm, if you don't mind the bpm label.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:35 PM