Pickups For A Epiphone Les Paul
Jamesito
Feb 2 2008, 01:48 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Gothic Model) which I have customized a little... it´s a cool guitar looks good and plays reasonably well, it´s a step up from my epiphone Special 2 that´s for sure. Basically I would like to change the pickups...

I like the look of the pickups in the Gibson Zak Wilde custom, they are EMG 81 and 85 i think. This is obviosuly a good combination but I presume it´s going to be quite a dark sound?? has anyone got any good ideas of what I could upgrade to?

Cheers,

Jamesito

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 2 2008, 02:01 AM
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Feb 1 2008, 04:48 PM) *
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Gothic Model) which I have customized a little... it´s a cool guitar looks good and plays reasonably well, it´s a step up from my epiphone Special 2 that´s for sure. Basically I would like to change the pickups...

I like the look of the pickups in the Gibson Zak Wilde custom, they are EMG 81 and 85 i think. This is obviosuly a good combination but I presume it´s going to be quite a dark sound?? has anyone got any good ideas of what I could upgrade to?

Cheers,

Jamesito

Depends what type/s of music you're interested in! smile.gif

Different pickups are preferable for different styles so it'd be a bit hard to say without a few tips as to what you like to play biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Owen: Feb 2 2008, 02:02 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Feb 2 2008, 01:02 PM
I would like to play a wide range of music, i mainly like Rock and Roll- Blues hence having the les paul... but I like metal though aswell, in your advice would it be better to save the cash and just buy another guitar speciafically for blues? the reason for wanting the pickups is mainly cosmetic as I dont like the look of the standard ones, I would prefer having some humbuckers on there to be honest.

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Feb 2 2008, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Feb 2 2008, 07:02 AM) *
I would like to play a wide range of music, i mainly like Rock and Roll- Blues hence having the les paul... but I like metal though aswell, in your advice would it be better to save the cash and just buy another guitar speciafically for blues? the reason for wanting the pickups is mainly cosmetic as I dont like the look of the standard ones, I would prefer having some humbuckers on there to be honest.

for blues go strat.. but if u wanna change the pickups for cosmetic reason just get new pickup covers

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
AndyCH
Feb 5 2008, 07:27 PM
QUOTE (Jamesito @ Feb 2 2008, 01:48 AM) *
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Jamesito

Hi

I play my Epiphone Les Paul with a EMG 81/85 combo. The sound is not so dark, as you might expect. Actually I think the 81 is a bit sharp in the bridge position. I changed the pickups and play the 85 in bridge and the 81 in neck position.
All in all, this sounds quite good for Rock and Blues.
I'm thinking about getting a EMG 60 for the neck position. It has a full but also a very clear tone, and sounds great if played clean.
If you want more versatility you could get a EMG 89 instead of a 81. You can split the 89 to use it as a Humbucker or a Single-Coil.

Andreas

+Quote Post
dogman
Feb 6 2008, 12:29 AM
I would suggest a set of Seymour Duncans. An SH-1b in the neck and a SH-4 in the bridge. The perfect all around pickups you can put in a les paul.

The JB will give you a clear bite that is outstanding going from a nice clean to all the drive you can put to it for metal.

The 59b(b is for bridge) is a hotter PAF that is very close to what slash uses in his neck position with just a little bit more mid.

A great set up to play anything from jazz to shred

just my opinion wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:20 AM