tone theory
rhys
Apr 25 2006, 08:55 PM
GMC:er
This is just a suggestion for something Kris could include in the Masterclass.

While we all probably accept that a guitarist should learn a riff through and through before worrying about the tone he's getting, i think it'd be nice if as an aside to the solos Kris teaches if there were some specifics on what he used to get that particular sound.

I know we don't all have the same equipment to be able to replicate each others sounds, but some things can be converted across equipment and so on, and occasionally some people -will- have the same equipment anyway.

Take Curious Coincidence, there's a very nice sound on that which I wouldn't mind learning how to come up with. Perhaps it's not about just copying the numbers but learning more about how to come up with really nice sounds, what to look for, etc. I know some guitarists really struggle to get good tone out of their guitar/equipment; many struggle just to make their sound cut-through, e.g. any note they try to hold or bend above about the 15th fret dampens and dies (in which case Kris' notes in the extras section about setting up your equalisation would be a good step) - but more indepth stuff could be put out there on that kind of stuff.

I don't know if it'd be a good idea to actually do a video tutorial on this or whether Kris would be willing to; like showing what happens when you use a lot of <some setting> or too little of <some setting> and how this all depends on the acoustics of the room, and so on. Also guitar information, whether you might get a better sound for a solo with single coils or humbuckers (I've noticed things can be a little harder to sound with bends and top-end fretwork on my Fender Stratocaster).

There's probably a whole world of other stuff in that region that could be mentioned or touched upon. I guess you could call it general tone wisdom, or something.

Just an idea.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirTiner
Apr 25 2006, 08:59 PM
good idea

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FourTwenty
Apr 26 2006, 01:28 AM
Yea rhys that's a good idea Id like to see something like that.

+Quote Post
cueball_11
Apr 26 2006, 02:21 AM
I think it would be great to get that kind of information too. I can understand if video is not an option due to bandwidth restrictions, but even reading the info and then playing with the settings or techniques with what he provides would be a great help.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2006, 06:56 AM
GMC Founder
I can't do mucher other than agree..!

I don't have any good excuse for not having more info about this. It is probably the number 1 question I get - about the gear I use.

So what I can do (let me know what suggestions you have) is to take some pictures of my settings and stuff and explain what I try to think about when dialing in the sounds. If I can get some audio recording that illustartes what I am saying Ill include that too.

/K smile.gif

+Quote Post
Wassupwithat
Apr 26 2006, 12:34 PM
Great idea but one little downside, everyone's gear is different and everyone's specific 'tone needs' would be rather hard to cater too indeed. But it would be nice if there was a tutorial on it for tone in general though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Apr 26 2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds very usefull to me, I struggle to get some nice sound setups. Eg, the suppressed wah wah sound Kris uses on the Slash inprov. I tried for ages last nite to try and get the same sound and did ok, but i can have so many settings on my tackle I never know what will be good with what. eg how would I recreate Hendrix sound on little wing, or on foxy lady. I never know where to start when trying to do this and usually give up after an hour of trying! I guess its just a case of learning what sounds different effects make ,and how to listen for them when trying to replicate an artists sounds.

Glad its not just me who has problems with this.

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
tuono
Jun 19 2006, 01:42 PM
"any note they try to hold or bend above about the 15th fret dampens and dies "
Is it me or could it be setup (straight into amp with no 'toys')?
I really struggle with holding a bent note above th 14th / 15th fret :oops:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 19 2006, 02:44 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (tuono)
"any note they try to hold or bend above about the 15th fret dampens and dies "
Is it me or could it be setup (straight into amp with no 'toys')?
I really struggle with holding a bent note above th 14th / 15th fret :oops:

Your fingers probably have the wrong angle. Experiment with your left hand thumb position.

+ Make sure you are fretting as close to the upper fret as posssible.

cheers

Kris

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:35 PM