Learn The Solo To Ilios Pt 3
Ben Higgins
Jul 12 2015, 12:22 PM
Instructor
We continue with the solo for Ilios. Last time I left you on a cliffhanger. We had just climbed up using alternate picking through an F#m sequence which left us on the G string....

Attached Image

Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_3.gp5 ( 5.13K ) Number of downloads: 83

Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_3.pdf ( 76.33K ) Number of downloads: 124

Next I start this nice, lazy Satriani style sequence which uses hammers/ pulls and slides to achieve its effect. Broken down it goes like this:

Pick note, hammer next, pull off back to first note, slide dto next note, slide to next note. Even simplier: Note, hammer, pull, slide, slide. That technical approach is repeated but the notes change, understand? Gooooood, you are an attentive student. I may reward you by letting you outside for 10 minutes later. But remember what I told you about not screaming. If anybody gets hurt it will be your fault..

Err, where was I?

Righto. The solo. *cough* ok.

After the slippery Satch section there's a staccato group of notes and a squealy whole tone bend & release. Try to get the pinch harmonic if you can. I said
'staccato group of notes' because the three notes before the bend should be played with a slight break between them, symbolised by the rest motifs in the tab. So really dig into them, pick them hard and use your picking hand to rest against the strings to deaden them between each note.

From there we go into a bewildering E arpeggio. I say bewildering because the route I take is not an obvious one and when I tabbed this all out I even mystified myself. "Did I really come up with that?" I thought. Well, yes I did. You will have to use alternate picking for this sequence and notice that I mostly palm mute the notes whilst ascending. Once you reach the B string you will slide from the 5th to the 9th fret and hit a quick hammer/pull lick and follow it up with a few more picked notes.

As you saw in the earlier parts of the solo there is a mixture of different note values. Instead of a barrage of 16th notes or whatever, it's more interesting to vary the tempo of what you're saying. It is a story after all, just played on your guitar instead of being told through your mouth. We don't talk in one monotone rhythm do we? The same goes for music.

If you've made it this far then you will know you're near the end. Next time we tackle the finale - the big climax.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_3.pdf ( 76.33K ) Number of downloads: 63

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:43 PM