Studio Collaboration Instructions, Let's try to make songs for other artists
MickeM
Apr 2 2008, 11:38 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Purpose
I'd like to introduce a collaboration with the aim to get your music commercial. I have the studio contacts neccessary.

The studios
One studio is mainly producing pop-music, they are quite successful and have competed in the swedish Eurovision song contest with rather good results. No Europ trip yet but several Swedish hits.

We will start with a second studio though. Mostly hardrock and metal. I've talked with him today and they are busy busy busy right now but has promised to look at any songs when he's got time.
If someone writes a pop song I can get that through to the other studio.

And he told me that he should not be attached to anything, meaning he can't promise when he can deal with mateial he's provided with. Meaning he doesn't want any nagging kids in the back seat, you get the point wink.gif

The collaborations
My intention is not to collaborate myself but I will be the middle man. I'm dealing with all contacts, there's not going to be any direct contact with the collaborators and the studio. I will deal with that.
I will take a initial listen to any songs produced, if it cuts it I'm passing it further to the studio, if it doesn't we concider it a dropped case or something that needs further work. No crying and tears, just accept the fact!
Harsh words but this is for real so we're all going to be adult about it.

Income
Up to here everything is non profit for us and for the studio. If a song is sold this is the deal as I've discussed with the one studio.

Studio takes 50% - I'm in on a cut there
Collaborator takes 50% - I'm in on 25% of that - yes I'm a leech laugh.gif
I'm expecting some work with this too you know.
So out of a $100 studio takes $50, collaborator takes $37.5, I'm in for $12.5. In the end a win-win-win situation.

How to
Regarding pratical matters, you can form groups like any collaboration or create the entire thing yourself. Whatever you need.
The production you deliver should be of rather high quality. Like if you double the guitar tracks, record each track, no copy paste (that will set off the phase)
Try to get bass and drums to harmonize.
Be particular about the vocals.
Absolutely NO guitar rub obsessions (had to be said laugh.gif) - Real songs.

We'll keep collaboration groups and post progress. We need to keep the material to ourselves for the time beeing. I will find out what goes and what doesn't regarding public exposure of soon-to-be-hit-songs but for the time being the collaboration groups keep their songs off of public and just between themselves and me.
But for the forum to be able to notice our progress we'll keep the discussions in the threads.

Everyone is welcome to participate, instructors should clear it with Kris that participation doesn't affect the lesson frequency/quality etc negatively.

The less complicated run through
In short, since I've learned I complicate things with long descriptions rolleyes.gif

I know studio(s)
You write song
If studio sells it, everyone involved make a buck.

Lets ROCK!
Just remember, don't post anything you want to sell on the boards for now.
PM me your interest! Ask questions here!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Apr 2 2008, 11:39 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 2 2008, 11:43 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
So basically all I have to do is record a pop or metalsong and you'll make me famous? Best deal ever laugh.gif

Just kidding, but I'll try to record a few songs in different styles for this.. If that's ok?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 2 2008, 11:58 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 3 2008, 12:43 AM) *
So basically all I have to do is record a pop or metalsong and you'll make me famous? Best deal ever laugh.gif

Just kidding, but I'll try to record a few songs in different styles for this.. If that's ok?

I'll make you famous, it's 100% certain laugh.gif

I should have mentioned also, it's all a gentlemans agreement, and we're all gentlement.

Go head, we'll see where we end up. Please create a thread of your own with prefix "Studio" just to keep track of things and for others to follow the progress. And if you need to involve someone in your projects just put up a wanted sign wink.gif

Good luck!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 3 2008, 12:06 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 3 2008, 12:58 AM) *
I'll make you famous, it's 100% certain laugh.gif

I should have mentioned also, it's all a gentlemans agreement, and we're all gentlement.

Go head, we'll see where we end up. Please create a thread of your own with prefix "Studio" just to keep track of things and for others to follow the progress. And if you need to involve someone in your projects just put up a wanted sign wink.gif

Good luck!

Awesome laugh.gif

Allright, I'll create a new thread when I've started working on the songs..

Thanks man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
Apr 3 2008, 12:04 PM
GMC:er
It sounds a interesting deal. Maybe the pianist can be the first one tongue.gif ?

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Apr 3 2008, 12:23 PM
Learning Roadie
can these songs include songs that have already been written? i have a few of those tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 3 2008, 12:40 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Apr 3 2008, 01:04 PM) *
It sounds a interesting deal. Maybe the pianist can be the first one tongue.gif ?

Is the pianist only the lyrics or an entire song already?
I will put the question further.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 3 2008, 12:43 PM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Apr 3 2008, 01:23 PM) *
can these songs include songs that have already been written? i have a few of those tongue.gif

I don't see why not. As long as you own the rights to the song and you havn't put them out already. It has to be genuine material, not a conver of f.ex muntahunta, that we'll be presenting.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 3 2008, 12:46 PM
I've got a song that's marketable I think in the modern climate. I would say I only have one though as I don't tend to write music for styles sake. I own the rights to all my bands songs. One in particular I think they may be interested.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Apr 3 2008, 12:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 3 2008, 12:43 PM) *
not a conver of f.ex muntahunta, that we'll be presenting.

that bit confused me tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 3 2008, 12:49 PM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Apr 3 2008, 01:47 PM) *
that bit confused me tongue.gif

I think he means that it has to be unreleased material so it's not a cover version of an already released song they'll be putting out with another band smile.gif

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Apr 3 2008, 01:12 PM
Instructor
mmm sounds interesting, but I don't know if this label likes my compositions... now I'm working in a Gothic project with my girlfriend (as you know, 'cos I've uploaded one song with his lyrics), do you think it would be accepted

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 3 2008, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Apr 3 2008, 02:12 PM) *
mmm sounds interesting, but I don't know if this label likes my compositions... now I'm working in a Gothic project with my girlfriend (as you know, 'cos I've uploaded one song with his lyrics), do you think it would be accepted

We have to try. To them it's business and the question they ask themselves is if it is sellable or not.
Only way to find out is to try and see where it leads.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 3 2008, 01:41 PM
For new projects add a new thread with prefix "Studio"

add some info on the song like
- genre
- gear used
- how you plan the song, the arrangement
etc to keep it interesting reading to everyone.

Don't post lyrics or uploads.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 3 2008, 01:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
One question:

When you say the studio will sell the song - are they selling the version that was created by GMC:ers as a finished article (distribution) or are they selling the concept of the song to their customers to re-record? (More sort of licensing I guess)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 3 2008, 01:51 PM
I think more information is needed about this like Andrew said. Will the artists keep the copyright for the track? Is it just a distribution deal or what?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:22 AM