How Are These Pedals
SnoCone
Dec 8 2008, 10:56 PM
GMC:er
Im thinking of ordering these pedals for xmas, wondering everyones thoughts

I want a wah, so i looked at

Dunlop crybaby 535q

and i want a harmonizer of some sort that works well with distortion and fast playing

Boss oc-3

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 8 2008, 11:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well both pedals are really good in what they do so I think its a good choice! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 8 2008, 11:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
I´ve got a Dunlop CryBaby Wah and I am pretty satisfied with it. The only bad thing is that it has to be pushed down before "whaing" and that the buttons under it are all off. :S They don´t support that much.

Here are reviews about your wish gear:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
Boss OC-3 Super Octave

+Quote Post
Static
Dec 8 2008, 11:19 PM
You should definitely check out the Micro POG and the Digitech Whammy. They are both slightly more expensive than the Boss OC-3 though. The Micro POG is a great pedal, I tried it several months ago and it sounded great. The Digitech Whammy has a lot more options, but I've heard a lot of people complain about the sound quality.

--------------------

Guitars: Peavey HP Special Custom, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez RG1570
Amps: Marshall TSL601, Fender Frontman Reverb, Fender Champion 600

+Quote Post
SnoCone
Dec 8 2008, 11:20 PM
Im open to any suggestions, i think im pretty set on the 535q, but i really have no idea on a harmonzier/octave pedal, i want one that doesnt sound crazy and dumb, and could acually be used to harmonize a guitar part per say

Also, what would be a good pedal to help replicate the sounds of Children of Bodom solos, and such

if that helps you narrow down what might be good for me.

thanks

This post has been edited by SnoCone: Dec 8 2008, 11:23 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor
If you have the money check out Electro-Harmonic harmonizer pedals, they are the best on the market mate. Go to their site, they have good demo videos.

Also with 535q, another member had some issues about his 535q being 18V operating pedal, so make sure it runs on 9V DC power/batteries.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SnoCone
Dec 8 2008, 11:27 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 8 2008, 11:24 PM) *
If you have the money check out Electro-Harmonic harmonizer pedals, they are the best on the market mate. Go to their site, they have good demo videos.

Also with 535q, another member had some issues about his 535q being 18V operating pedal, so make sure it runs on 9V DC power/batteries.

According to musicians friend its 9V,

Ill check out some Electro pedals, the reason i hanv't before is i bought a metal muff from them, and dont really enjoy it.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2008, 01:25 AM
Instructor
I see what you mean mate, you can watch the videos at least and see if you like it. Their stuff is very natural sounding. I bought Stereo Electric Mistress from them, and although it is digital it sounds nice and warm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SnoCone
Dec 9 2008, 03:13 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 9 2008, 01:25 AM) *
I see what you mean mate, you can watch the videos at least and see if you like it. Their stuff is very natural sounding. I bought Stereo Electric Mistress from them, and although it is digital it sounds nice and warm.

thanks for help man, if you are in love with any pedals ( under $200 ) please share!

im backing out of the oc-3, listened to youtubes, wasn't quite what i was looking for,

So yeah if anyone knows about good harmonizers/pitch shifters feel free to let me know biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 9 2008, 03:31 AM
QUOTE (SnoCone @ Dec 8 2008, 04:56 PM) *

Dunlop crybaby 535q

and i want a harmonizer of some sort that works well with distortion and fast playing

Boss oc-3

That is fine. But plan on modding it at some point. You can get a mod for about $20, with true bypass. I would get the one with the Fasel. $30 more, but they do sound more soulful. Listen to some comparisons on youtube, there is a difference.

I don't want a harmonizer. I think that just takes away from my play. If I am trying to get that kind of sound, echo and good vibrato does it, using a harmonizer just makes it sound sterile to me, it really detracts from my vibrato. I think overuse of effects is like that, it can make you a bit artificial, and also they make you sound better if you have flaws, I think a person may not fix those flaws, and rely on such stuff as crutches.

Compression is similar. It can really make you sound smoother. But all the means when you think about it, is that it is covering up flaws in your playing.

edit: i recently trashed my $400 multi effects device and went to pedals. Only want a few, wah, good overdrive, mt-2, and delay.

Listen to this SD-1 mod. I purchased it. Not cheap, it was $80 for this one, with true bypass. But I think this guy really does fine work. If you listen to this video, you can hear what I am saying. I can set the modded SD-1 to where I can't tell the difference between it being on or off going into my tube amp. It boosts without screwing up the tone, if you need a boost. I thought the way it sustains without shrilling off to a high pitch like the stock SD-1 is interesting, as you can hear in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8fb858LeE

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 9 2008, 03:38 AM

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 9 2008, 03:44 AM
QUOTE (SnoCone @ Dec 8 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Dunlop crybaby 535q

Boss oc-3

Can't really help with the harmonizer pedal. However, I've got the Dunlop Dime Crybaby from Hell Wah Pedal. I seriously looked at the 535q and decided on the Dime Wha instead.

They both have the Fasel and they both sound great. Since your able to adjust frequencys on both pedals they're both quite versital. The Dime has a couple of features that I personally think are fantastic.

One is the boost switch. You can activate up to 16db's of clean boost. Really cool for lead work. Also it's got a little dip switch that allows the input and output to be on the same side of the pedal. Very cool for some pedal board configureations.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
SnoCone
Dec 9 2008, 03:45 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 9 2008, 03:31 AM) *
That is fine. But plan on modding it at some point. You can get a mod for about $20, with true bypass. I would get the one with the Fasel. $30 more, but they do sound more soulful. Listen to some comparisons on youtube, there is a difference.

I don't want a harmonizer. I think that just takes away from my play. If I am trying to get that kind of sound, echo and good vibrato does it, using a harmonizer just makes it sound sterile to me, it really detracts from my vibrato. I think overuse of effects is like that, it can make you a bit artificial, and also they make you sound better if you have flaws, I think a person may not fix those flaws, and rely on such stuff as crutches.

Compression is similar. It can really make you sound smoother. But all the means when you think about it, is that it is covering up flaws in your playing.

edit: i recently trashed my $400 multi effects device and went to pedals. Only want a few, wah, good overdrive, mt-2, and delay.

Listen to this SD-1 mod. I purchased it. Not cheap, it was $80 for this one, with true bypass. But I think this guy really does fine work. If you listen to this video, you can hear what I am saying. I can set the modded SD-1 to where I can't tell the difference between it being on or off going into my tube amp. It boosts without screwing up the tone, if you need a boost. I thought the way it sustains without shrilling off to a high pitch like the stock SD-1 is interesting, as you can hear in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8fb858LeE

im probably backing out of the harmonizer idea, the only good one i heard is $300, But im definately getting a wah, probably sold on the 535q.

Now..to look for other pedals

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2008, 06:32 PM
Instructor
Another cool pedal to look is a delay pedal mate, I recommend DD3 for starters.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:35 PM