Why Only Buy 2010 Or Earlier, Prestige Ibbys?
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2021, 03:45 AM
GMC:er
I've wondered this myself to be honest. One hears this a LOT in various guitar forums. "OnIy 2010 and earlier!" I love prestige Ibbys. Finally think I've sorted it. I was looking through all of the Ibby neck profiles, (very relaxing hobby) on the ibby wikki

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

And bam. There it was.

Wizard HP Prestige 2010–2019 648mm/ 25½" Nut/18mm Base/20mm

The Wizard HP Prestige neck, switched from the classic 17-19mm profile to a 18-20mm profile for production years 2010-2019. Yup, that would do it. It's only a couple of Milli worth of wood, but it changes the profile from the hyper thin shred neck to a much beefier feeling Wizard II/III vibe. I've got some of these thick necked ibbys and I alternate them in to give my hand a challenge. I go back to the 17mm and it feels like home every time.

Just for context the 1987 Les Paul neck was 32mm at the nut. This would feel like a telephone pole compared to the original wizard. Some folks want that and God bless em.

here is a bit more on neck profiles

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 30 2021, 03:55 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 1 2021, 09:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
My RG1570 was made at the Fuji-gen Plant, Japan in 2009. Production Number: 274 according to the guitar dater project and has the Wizard Prestige neck according to THIS which has the 18mm-20mm according to THIS so that is a year early.

What do you think Todd? For me it's a super slim neck and feels like playing a credit card at times, especially after my SRV Strat which has one of my favourite necks wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2021, 04:00 AM
GMC:er
It is only 1mm of thickness difference after all. This same guitar had the 17mm profile for part of it's run, but then for some reason 18 also as part of it's run. It's still a very thin neck and slimmer than the 19mm profile that
of the wizard II/III which I have on two of my current ibbys and which is still a very comfy neck and slim compared to my LTD which feels like a boat oar. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 1 2021, 04:08 PM) *
My RG1570 was made at the Fuji-gen Plant, Japan in 2009. Production Number: 274 according to the guitar dater project and has the Wizard Prestige neck according to THIS which has the 18mm-20mm according to THIS so that is a year early.

What do you think Todd? For me it's a super slim neck and feels like playing a credit card at times, especially after my SRV Strat which has one of my favourite necks wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:17 AM