2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Solo Composition
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 21 2021, 08:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
Most of you know that I usually learn and post lessons in REC. Last year, Darek changed the direction of our mentoring and we started the composition workshop. smile.gif

When he told me about this task, I was more than happy but in the same time I was very afraid about what will come. It's a huge difference between playing lessons from the high level and being able to apply in compositions all the things learned behind those lessons.

From the start we knew that will be a hard journey because was something new for both of us. Darek, had to find the perfect method of work that can push me in the good direction without literally showing me what to do.

It was like a quest game where to make a step further, you need to solve a puzzle. In our case each step of mine it meant to follow some clues from Darek (such as..."you need to raise the tension", "use a different technique", "come with other idea and make it richer rhythmically and ornamental", "few slides and few bends will not deliver anything out of the box", "propose something else....it's visible you tried to get more dense but it doesn't bring expected result", "focus on the cools stuff you spent years to learn", etc) and come up with ideas that he can like and strictly respect all his requirements.
Probably nobody will believe how much patience we both had and how many times I must came with millions of ideas for the same spot. But I really loved to do this because being forced to analyze and think more deeply, sometimes I came up with ideas that really surprised me. smile.gif

Apart from finding the basic melodic line which was always my strong point, for the rest of the skills that we needed, Darek had to work twice as hard with me to get them out. But…the fact that we have similar musical taste and we have been working together for so many years definitely helped us. smile.gif

Anyway…it would be a too long story to write about everything. All I can say it’s the fact that Darek pushed me over what I thought it’s my limit. Beside the fact that I used all the techniques that I know on guitar, he also taught me new techniques (tremolo picking). You guys have no idea how many times I said to him that I will not be able to play my own composition because technical he made me make this too hard. biggrin.gif But he is totally immune to such complaints from me (I say this very often and it always turns out to be untrue). biggrin.gif

Because it's my solo composition and to quote Darek "I have started a new era", it came the time to also make a step further in video editing and create visually something more interesting.
Of course, this thing it didn't happen overnight and meant an additional hard work and patience from both of us.

I want to say one more thing and I will end. Darek, thank you so much for your huge patience and for the fact that you never let me to give up on doing something that I think I can't do it. Every time I fail (and I fail many times tongue.gif ) you are there to catch me and help me. You are a brilliant instructor and I'm grateful every day for all you do for me. smile.gif

BTW guys, I didn't had in mind to write so much but....a woman always have a lot to say. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2021, 10:03 AM
GMC Founder
FANTASTIC Monica - chops and composition is just mind blowing - I love it 😱👌👌👌 I am a fan!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jan 21 2021, 10:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
Really nice composition!

Since you started composing your own solos, we will see you participating in future collaborations?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 21 2021, 12:07 PM
GMC:er
Absolutely brilliant Monica smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 21 2021, 01:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2021, 09:03 AM) *
FANTASTIC Monica - chops and composition is just mind blowing - I love it 😱👌👌👌 I am a fan!!

Thank you so much Kris!!! Your comment made my day. smile.gif
I'm very happy you like it the composition mostly because I told you few months ago that I will come with something new. I really tried to improve my style of composition and manage more techniques. So...I was very curious to see how you will react. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jan 21 2021, 09:54 AM) *
Really nice composition!

Since you started composing your own solos, we will see you participating in future collaborations?

Thank you very much Steve. smile.gif

At this moment I focus to work at my own stuffs.
But....actually I already participated in a lot of GMC collaborations. If you want you can check: "Mentholwhore", "The day and night", "Gary Moore Tribute collaboration", "The soulful ballad collab", "Kris must charm audio collab", etc. I not even remember all the things that have happened over time because I'm here since 2013. biggrin.gif

So...this is not my first solo composed but it's my first solo which was built applying a different view over composition and which exposes things that I learned in years.
From my point of view (because I'm always very honest about my playing), what I made in the past for collabs, jamming and even contests was just improvisations. Far away from what can be named composition but each period of our developing has it charm. smile.gif

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 21 2021, 11:07 AM) *
Absolutely brilliant Monica smile.gif

Thank you so much for your awesome words! I'm very, very happy that you like it my composition. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2021, 01:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Amazing Monica, it goes to show what hard work and dedication can achieve. Looking forward to the next one cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jan 21 2021, 01:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
Now THAT was fantastic! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 21 2021, 01:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
to answer everyone's questions "was it worth it"

The answer seems obvious to me

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2021, 03:37 PM
Instructor
WOW Monica! The work that you are doing together with Darius is AMAZING. I love how you balance melody with shred in this composition. The melodies are very catchy but also unpredictable, as it happens with guitarists like Nick Johnston and Marty Friedman.

Your tone is great, and your performance very precise. This is definitely VERY promising. Keep the great job my friend.

Can't wait to find Monica's solo album at Spotify.

I'm also a fan.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jan 21 2021, 04:00 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Monica

Magnificent composition.
I’m impressed by the number of techniques you use.
You’ll go far....

Respect

+Quote Post
azureus
Jan 21 2021, 04:14 PM

Very beautiful! .. and a beautiful Jackson with matching tone! wub.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 21 2021, 04:26 PM
Outstanding Monica!
I really like the way you incorporate slides and harmonics.
I'm not a "pointy guitar" guy but that all black Jackson is very cool.
Brava!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 21 2021, 06:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2021, 12:44 PM) *
Amazing Monica, it goes to show what hard work and dedication can achieve. Looking forward to the next one cool.gif

Thank you very much, Phil. Definitely more will come. smile.gif

QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jan 21 2021, 12:51 PM) *
Now THAT was fantastic! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Thank you so much for your words. I really appreciate it. smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 21 2021, 12:53 PM) *
to answer everyone's questions "was it worth it"

The answer seems obvious to me

Exactly, the answer it's obvious. It was worth it every second of work because I'm happy with the result and this is the most important thing. smile.gif

I made the topic more detailed because this morning some friends of mine concluded that it's very easy for me to compose and I can do this right away.
Probably this happens just in movies because in reality things aren't like that and it took me months of work to come up with this. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 21 2021, 02:37 PM) *
WOW Monica! The work that you are doing together with Darius is AMAZING. I love how you balance melody with shred in this composition. The melodies are very catchy but also unpredictable, as it happens with guitarists like Nick Johnston and Marty Friedman.

Your tone is great, and your performance very precise. This is definitely VERY promising. Keep the great job my friend.

Can't wait to find Monica's solo album at Spotify.

I'm also a fan.

Wow, that's a killer comparison! Thank you so much Gab for your awesome words. smile.gif
Even for me the melody was unpredictable because what I had in mind at the beginning, it changed radically after I understood how I must manage the tension. Was a permanently struggle how to create things in such a way (avoiding running in circles), to make people not stop the video after 1 minute. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MisterM @ Jan 21 2021, 03:00 PM) *
Hi Monica

Magnificent composition.
I’m impressed by the number of techniques you use.
You’ll go far....

Respect

Thank you very much, Manu! I'm happy to hear that you like it. smile.gif

To be honest, the fact that I used so many techniques is just the merit of Darius. smile.gif
When I started this, my first takes contained only few techniques that was very comfortable for me. So...after I heard Darius opinion, I wake up to reality and I tried in each next take of mine to add a new technique, ornament, etc.

But...don't imagine that everything I had in mind it worked instantly. As an example, I practiced the long run a very long time separately with the metronome at different speeds, until I was able to play it correctly (and Darius can confirm you that at this moment the run sounds good enough but it's still not perfect).

QUOTE (azureus @ Jan 21 2021, 03:14 PM) *
Very beautiful! .. and a beautiful Jackson with matching tone! wub.gif

Thank you very much! I will always be in love with my Jackson because was my first guitar and we have a special connection. smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 21 2021, 03:26 PM) *
Outstanding Monica!
I really like the way you incorporate slides and harmonics.
I'm not a "pointy guitar" guy but that all black Jackson is very cool.
Brava!

Ken, thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot to me. smile.gif
I'm a fan of harmonics because every time when I hear that sound, always gives me a good mood.

The only issue when I record with my black Jackson it's the fact that everything it's in the room reflect on it. No matter how much I tried to find the perfect angle for recording, my softbox umbrella it's still visible in my shining beast. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 21 2021, 06:59 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 21 2021, 07:06 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Fantastic! Great composition full of clever phrases and licks. Nice work Monica! 🙂

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2021, 07:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very well played and composed, Monica smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 22 2021, 07:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jan 21 2021, 06:06 PM) *
Fantastic! Great composition full of clever phrases and licks. Nice work Monica! 🙂

Thank you so much for your words. It means a lot to me! smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 21 2021, 06:27 PM) *
Very well played and composed, Monica smile.gif

Thank you very much, Ben! I really appreciate it! BTW I hardly wait your releasing album. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2021, 07:15 AM
This is just AMAZING. I'm always pushing folks in bootcamp to create their own music, write their own solos. After all, that's the entire reason we are here smile.gif To learn to express ourselves musically. That's what you've done and you've done it well. Super Congrats!! On top of the great music writing and playing, the video is great!! Video production is a skill all by itself. Just like guitar it takes practice. Your video looks TOP NOTCH. As good as anything I've seen anywhere. What are you using to shoot your vid? And what are you using for your audio recording?

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 22 2021, 10:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 22 2021, 06:15 AM) *
This is just AMAZING. I'm always pushing folks in bootcamp to create their own music, write their own solos. After all, that's the entire reason we are here smile.gif To learn to express ourselves musically. That's what you've done and you've done it well. Super Congrats!! On top of the great music writing and playing, the video is great!! Video production is a skill all by itself. Just like guitar it takes practice. Your video looks TOP NOTCH. As good as anything I've seen anywhere. What are you using to shoot your vid? And what are you using for your audio recording?

Wow...thank you so much Todd for your awesome words! You are the first person between all my friends who noticed the video. smile.gif

Things changed and nowadays people have much more expectations. The music is not enough anymore, some people can get bored looking at the same image several minutes. Why? Because videos have similar expression as music (I finally understood this thing).
So, I tried to amplify the tension created by music with images (more movement visible - more tension in the video wink.gif ). When I edited the video, several times I looked at it with no sound. I wanted to analyze this without to be influenced by music.

But...overall the video editing was a nightmare. biggrin.gif Three weeks I worked at this video because to be able to use multiple videos I had to move on Sony Vegas. I had to learn this program and wasn't easy at all.
The first 48 hours I watched and tested bunch of tutorials and explanations from Darius. I learned even things that I not used on this video but I wanted to be prepared for any idea that I can have in future. smile.gif
As a funny thing I can say that when I started to edit the video somehow I touched something and I lost the preview window.biggrin.gif Two hours it took me to find how to get this window back. No one thought to make a tutorial for such a thing because probably I'm the only person on this planet who lost this window. biggrin.gif

For audio recording I use:
- Presonus Firestudio Project interface
- Plexitone pedal
- Taurus Zebu reverb and delay pedal
- Kefir impulse loader
- Impulse - Catharsis s-preshigh (depends on the track that I play, I change this with: 1on_pres5 or awesometime-fredman/1on_preshigh or I have a customized impulse made by Darius for me)
- and always my Monster guitar cable. I know that people say they don't hear difference between cables but I tried many cables and I hear a difference that I don't like.

For video:
- I have a camera Canon EOS 1100D. It's quite old but it makes the job.
- 2 softbox umbrella 110 cm ( https://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/43umbsb.htm). Each softbox has 2 bulbs lights (2x85W, 5500K)
- Black background from textile material (3x6m) which is fixed to the ceiling with a rail. But I put this upside down to cover entire wall which has 5m.

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 22 2021, 10:16 AM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jan 22 2021, 10:44 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice tone and phrasing.
I listened it when i am on my way to work and i was dreaming away in my Car and thoughts 😁
Love how dynamic it is

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 23 2021, 05:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (tflava @ Jan 22 2021, 09:44 AM) *
Very nice tone and phrasing.
I listened it when i am on my way to work and i was dreaming away in my Car and thoughts 😁
Love how dynamic it is

It's great to hear that my solo made you dreaming away. smile.gif I'm really happy you like it. Thank you so much. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:33 AM