Tips And Maybe Encouragement...please?
Meho98
May 25 2007, 05:09 AM
GMC:er
Hay guys, I’m new at GMC and I love it here. It’s going to be my virtual home away from home. I need some advice about my left hand. Last summer I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my hands from working with computers and playing guitar for over 20 years. The carpal tunnel was brought on from not taking care of my wrists like someone should, but to late to yell at me about that cause the damage is done. My right hand is about 90% normal, but my left hand is only about 50%. I now call it my dumb hand. It just doesn’t do what I want it to as fast as I want and re-training repeating movements have become a task in its self. I am going to get a grip master to use, but is there anybody out there that has gone through this or just has some tips to give some encouragement on what I should do? Thanks guys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Guitar - JACKSON DR3 DINKY REVERSE
Amp - Peavey TransTube Studio Pro 112
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 25 2007, 05:27 AM
QUOTE (Meho98 @ May 24 2007, 11:09 PM) *
Hay guys, I’m new at GMC and I love it here. It’s going to be my virtual home away from home. I need some advice about my left hand. Last summer I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my hands from working with computers and playing guitar for over 20 years. The carpal tunnel was brought on from not taking care of my wrists like someone should, but to late to yell at me about that cause the damage is done. My right hand is about 90% normal, but my left hand is only about 50%. I now call it my dumb hand. It just doesn’t do what I want it to as fast as I want and re-training repeating movements have become a task in its self. I am going to get a grip master to use, but is there anybody out there that has gone through this or just has some tips to give some encouragement on what I should do? Thanks guys.

I never had that happen before and that really sux dude..but my word of advice to you is, if i blind man can play guitar like jimi hendrix (which there is a guy like that) than you can definlty retrain yoruself to play guitar....it just mght take more time than what it did before...but mabye not..but jsut keep at it biggrin.gif youll get it biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
spdalton
May 25 2007, 06:00 AM
Think of it as a way to relearn any technique that you might have not learnt properly the first time.
Guitar is fun to play at any skill level so just keep going with it and have fun!

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 25 2007, 02:40 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Man, i never had Carpol Tunnell, but i got a serious injury, almost required surgery, i had to completely re-learn my left hand fretting style, and you know what?

I got twice as good when i relearned it!

Don't worry, just practice till you find whats comfortable, and develop from there on, and youll be shreddin in no time!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 29 2007, 03:01 AM
Yeah and if I was you. I would avoid playing things incredibly fast. Maybe go for some of the blues lessons ?

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
ibanez rocker
May 29 2007, 03:36 AM
Hey man you'll pull through it. i have never had carpal tunnel but i feel sorry for u sad.gif

+Quote Post
Meho98
May 29 2007, 03:06 PM
You know I never looked @ it like a second chance. Start over and fill in the things that I was never taught. That helps guys. It feels good having others with the same goal all over the world give me support and help me get my mind set back on track. It's hard to show you how I feel about this here...but just try to imagine your guitar hero coming over to your house and wanting to jam with ya for the day. Kind of sappy but that’s how this thread made me feel. rolleyes.gif

Thanx all!!!!!!

Meho98 – Chris smile.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Guitar - JACKSON DR3 DINKY REVERSE
Amp - Peavey TransTube Studio Pro 112

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 29 2007, 03:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
While you are coming back up to speed (and so you don't over practice) why not concentrate on some theory? It can really help with your playing and composition if you haven't looked at it already (although after 20 years I would guess you have learned a lot already). Maybe set a goal to understand something you have never grasped before - thinking about theory will keep your music mind in trim, and trying little bits and pieces out as you learn isn't intensive playing.

Just a thought ... (and I fully accept that I might be a little biased here smile.gif)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:12 PM