2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Super Strats
klasaine
Mar 23 2019, 02:44 AM
GMC:er
A new guitar 'boutique' moved into my area recently. "Wild West Guitars" (they were previously about 30 miles outside of L.A.). The owner decided that he wanted to be closer to town.
https://wildwestguitars.com/
https://reverb.com/shop/wild-west-guitars
Anyway ... This place is full of custom ordered 'custom shop' specials from both Fender and Gibson. Very expensive bordering on ridiculous if you ask me.

But they do have this really cool wall of only reliced 'super strats' with Floyds on them.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2019, 05:18 AM
Relicd axes can look spiff to be sure, but there is always that vibe of somebody rocking a guitar they didn't really play, but just spent wads of money on to make it look like they've been playing it forever. Steve Vai playing a relicd guitar is one thing. A first year player rocking a guitar that looks like it's been on the road for 20 years is a bit something else. No matter what it looks like, as soon as a player starts playing, it's not hard to tell if they've been playing long enough to beat up their guitar that way, or if they paid a boutique to beat it up for them. But hey, to each his own. They do look cool.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 22 2019, 09:44 PM) *
A new guitar 'boutique' moved into my area recently. "Wild West Guitars" (they were previously about 30 miles outside of L.A.). The owner decided that he wanted to be closer to town.
https://wildwestguitars.com/
https://reverb.com/shop/wild-west-guitars
Anyway ... This place is full of custom ordered 'custom shop' specials from both Fender and Gibson. Very expensive bordering on ridiculous if you ask me.

But they do have this really cool wall of only reliced 'super strats' with Floyds on them.

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 23 2019, 05:36 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 23 2019, 06:25 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Good grief!! 5 grand for one of those!? How many of those will still be on the wall this time next year I wonder? Looks like a few of those may only be $4800, that's better. dry.gif

https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/fender...ts-pink-paisley

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 23 2019, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2019, 07:53 PM
It ain't cheap to have a boutique beat up your guitar!! smile.gif But it does save 20 years of actually playing it!
Todd
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 23 2019, 01:25 PM) *
Good grief!! 5 grand for one of those!? How many of those will still be on the wall this time next year I wonder? Looks like a few of those may only be $4800, that's better. dry.gif

https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/fender...ts-pink-paisley

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 24 2019, 12:44 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 23 2019, 10:25 AM) *
Good grief!! 5 grand for one of those!? How many of those will still be on the wall this time next year I wonder?

Here's the thing. The owner (of Wild West) actually 'commissioned' those Strats. 17 of them. I can only assume that he thinks that there's buyers out there - ? Crazy!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 24 2019, 04:36 PM
The 2 layer painted relics sold well as far as I noticed 1-2 years ago when sweetwater had them on their website almost regularly.

In theory so much paint isn't good for tone but I guess its one of those USA tradition things why they're liked. Price aside, I really like the feel of what they do to the necks though with such guitars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 24 2019, 05:11 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 23 2019, 03:44 PM) *
Here's the thing. The owner (of Wild West) actually 'commissioned' those Strats. 17 of them. I can only assume that he thinks that there's buyers out there - ? Crazy!

Well, I suppose he could be right. It is a very big city after all. And the website covers even more ground. There are some pretty nice looking LP's there. cool.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 24 2019, 05:13 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 24 2019, 06:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 23 2019, 06:53 PM) *
It ain't cheap to have a boutique beat up your guitar!! smile.gif But it does save 20 years of actually playing it!
Todd

Problem is modern finishes don't age they just chip sad.gif I wish they still did nitro on all guitars, I think Fender do some with nitro still.

SRV and Rory Gallagher had amazing true relics.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 29 2019, 02:25 PM
Learning Roadie
My next planned guitar is going to be one I assemble from MJT guitars, a relic'd Seafoam green Telecaster with double humbuckers.
I'll selling my Ibanez RG to help pay for it, as much as I was gassing for an RG, I don't get on with the neck, and don't really play it, I also realised I don't need a double locking trem. These are the chances you take buying without trying.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 29 2019, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 29 2019, 06:25 AM) *
My next planned guitar is going to be one I assemble from MJT guitars, a relic'd Seafoam green Telecaster with double humbuckers.

MJT parts are top notch. The body, neck, tuners on my "Telemaster" are from MJT. *It is a light relic.

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 29 2019, 02:56 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 30 2019, 12:56 PM
GMC Founder
They look cool for sure, but I must say at that price point my Vintage Icon V6 seems just fine!! ($350)

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 30 2019, 09:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 30 2019, 12:56 PM) *
They look cool for sure, but I must say at that price point my Vintage Icon V6 seems just fine!! ($350)

It's the price of getting what you want. I know the specs of the neck I want and I can choose the colour and body binding and amount of relicing

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 30 2019, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 30 2019, 01:23 PM) *
It's the price of getting what you want. I know the specs of the neck I want and I can choose the colour and body binding and amount of relicing

My "MJT" all together with the parts and pickups that I already had plus labor ran me just shy of $1300.00.
Very reasonable for a quasi custom made axe.

*I would never (even if I was made of money) buy one of those Fender Custom Shop relic'd super Strats. That's an insane amount of dough - they average $4700.00.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 30 2019, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 3 2019, 08:40 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 30 2019, 09:23 PM) *

It's a good thing I wanted the V6 laugh.gif

Seriously though - I certainly get your point! It's all about what your needs are, and I have no need for such a guitar. Since I could get 10 really cool guitars for the same price.

Given that I would spread my cards out prior to purchasing those 10, there is a likeliness some of them would offer a new unpredictable config that would inspire in new ways. So likely the sheer quantity of guitars would inspire me exponentially - so value for money would be much great than 10x

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 3 2019, 11:14 AM
I think its also about not being able to buy as a kid, years later achieving a childhood dream.

Also, I'm near 40 now and have a guitar since 17. Since I barely gig'ed it doesn't look very aged at all, small dings only happened at home. If I wanted something like that it's sort of a used market alternative for the non-musician elder, many dislike used products in their lives.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 3 2019, 02:52 PM
The guy who buys one of those 'relics' as in my original post is (as Mertay says) an older guy, with money, who was in a hard rock band in the 80s. He either quit altogether or completely changed up his musical direction and now is nostalgic for a time in his past ... that more than likely didn't go down the way he remembers it.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 3 2019, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 3 2019, 01:52 PM) *
that more than likely didn't go down the way he remembers it.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 3 2019, 04:58 PM
Did ya'll see the Motley Crew movie? "The Dirt"

Highly recommended!

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 3 2019, 10:12 PM
Learning Roadie
I'll agree with Kris on this one. I'd rather have more medium-price guitars than one top tier that's super expensive. Most of the medium tier and some of the lower tier only need a pickup swap and a luthier's touch to set it up properly. Cheaper guitars are also great for learning, modding and all kinds of DIY upgrades and I love doing that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 3 2019, 11:44 PM
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 3 2019, 09:12 PM) *
I'll agree with Kris on this one. I'd rather have more medium-price guitars than one top tier that's super expensive. Most of the medium tier and some of the lower tier only need a pickup swap and a luthier's touch to set it up properly. Cheaper guitars are also great for learning, modding and all kinds of DIY upgrades and I love doing that!

I don't really recommend low priced guitars for upgrade unless one really knows what he's after. I'm not much of a buy/seller but do have a gear addict friend and learned a lot from his experiences.

I guess out of maybe 4 guitars cheap but modded guitars he only kept 1, a squire Tele modded with noiseless Fender PU's. Other cheapos either didn't take the upgrade well enough tone-wise, or as time passed and he bought more (expensive r) guitars realized they weren't worth keeping. Even that Tele isn't played much anymore cause of the better guitars.

This is interesting; His latest guitar is a Gibson LP standard but a limited edition which the body is thin. A store we usually visit gave him an amazing discount but even then I recommended against it (a hard guitar to re-sell in the used market). But after we plugged it into an amp my opinion changed. The guitar simply sounded nice.

I think these are the kind of opportunities one can bump into these days aside the used market. Most mid. priced guitar even comes with brand PU's and some guy in Indonesia, Mexico or Korea doesn't leave too much job for the luthier if needed.

Specially past 1-2 years to me it became more rare to find a new guitar being the same price but noticeably better in tone/sustain then the rest (considering if spec.s relatively match). The big brands certainly know what they're doing and improving their production every year.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:40 AM